Suggestions on a deluxe style partscaster?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I got a great deal on a set of Fender CuNiFe wide range reissues locally ($175 for the set) so now I am setting about finding the right guitar or partscaster build to do around it. I've always loved them, but never been able to afford the real deal. Hopefully I can get some guidance, since I'm guessing some of you have done this.

I once owned a MIM 72 deluxe reissue. While I liked certain things about it, I couldn't fall in love with the weight of it (it was a brick) and I think I would prefer the standard two knob tele control setup over the more complicated les paul-like design the deluxe features.

So the obvious next consideration is a 72 style thinline. Lighter weight obviously, and with the standard tele controls. There are two MIM 72 thinlines for sale locally, but they are asking $800 each. When I consider that the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe equivalents are less than half the price, it makes me think that's the smarter choice. Especially if I'm replacing the pups, the wiring, and the tuners, which I will likely do.

Can anyone tell me if I'm looking for the right things? Is there anything I haven't considered? Pitfalls of these sorts of projects, or better options to look into?

Thanks.

wblynch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Go for it. If you’re unhappy with the results you can put it all back together and sell the CV for little loss.

be careful though, you might like it well enough just as it comes.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Classic Vibe sounds like your lowest cost route. If you are a craftsman, then StewMac has their kits ( all parts to build a guitar ) for around $150.