Suggestions for Roland JC-120 replacement speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 11, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I have a JC120 with non-original speakers. The speakers that were in it when I got it are nice, but they're low-watt Eminence speakers that do not work well with the JC120. So I'm going to pull them out.

What speakers might you suggest that I look for, to complement the things that the JC120 does well? ...which is basically really loud 80s clean tone, plus it takes pedals really well. 12"... 8ohms each.

And since I'm probably going to be looking for deals on used speakers... I'm interested in possibly mixing speakers too... that is, the speakers don't have to match. So, cleanish speakers with a lot of headroom. Something that might work well in an Twin would probably work well in the JC120.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I used to have a JC120. I got it in exchange for rent a friend owed me. He had changed the speakers to Jensen's but I don't remember which ones in particular, but I do remember that amp sounded great. I really don't know if it had anything to do with the speakers or not. I wish i still had that amp........

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

I had a JC50 (the 1X12 version) with an old JBL (K120 I think). Sounded great, but heavy as hell, of course.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'd love to find an old JBL or EV to put in it. But everyone seems to want more for them than I'm willing to fork out.

I'm not crazy concerned about the weight. I'm probably not going to gig it... and if I do, it's got pop-in/out casters on the bottom.

Eminence seems to make a few speakers that are close to the old JBL thing.

JCW1024 likes this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I'd call the guys at Weber & Eminence for recommendations. I heard a JC120 once that sounded better than most, mainly smoother, less strident, and I think it had Webers, don't know the model. Weber has the California that's listed as a JBL-type, I think 80 watts, so I'd look that one up.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.