Suggestions for Rockabilly - Multi Effect Stomp Box

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
I am an intermediate hobbyist, no gigging - I love my Tele and I really like playing Rockabilly.

I just find having multiple pedals confusing. There's alway a cable making noise or a power supply causing hum. I'm sure I haven't invested enough in "good" pedals and equipment, however:

Can you recommend a multi effects pedal to play with my Stageright 15w tube amp to give me good Rockabilly sound?

Let's say price limit is around $200. I tried the Vox Stomplab - but I don't need so many diff sounds - just good quality, easy to use stuff for Rockabilly. A lot of multi-effect boxes sound too much like a DSP amp to me (and yes, I know that's what they are) - but do they have to sound so computer-ish?

I'm simply looking for really great sounding :

Compression
Slap Back Delay
Pre-Amp Distortion

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I am an intermediate hobbyist, no gigging - I love my Tele and I really like playing Rockabilly.

I just find having multiple pedals confusing. There's alway a cable making noise or a power supply causing hum. I'm sure I haven't invested enough in "good" pedals and equipment, however:

Can you recommend a multi effects pedal to play with my Stageright 15w tube amp to give me good Rockabilly sound?

Let's say price limit is around $200. I tried the Vox Stomplab - but I don't need so many diff sounds - just good quality, easy to use stuff for Rockabilly. A lot of multi-effect boxes sound too much like a DSP amp to me (and yes, I know that's what they are) - but do they have to sound so computer-ish?

Compression
Slap Back Delay
Pre-Amp Distortion

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I forget the exact name, but there is a great demo ( by Eastwood guitar's RJ Ronquillo )
of I think a ' Nocturne' (brand or model?) that does just this- combines delay and great OD.
The demo shows off some fantastic-sounding swing blues and rockabilly playing...

Maybe Google RJ, or Nocturne pedals?

Edit Found it!

Last edited:

DrNickD

TDPRI Member
Not a pedal, but the Yamaha THR series practice amps have all those effects, and a lot of great amp modeling. Pretty respectable tape echo sound.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's

Compression
Slap Back Delay
Pre-Amp Distortion

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Boss ME-50. Super simple to use. Sounds great.

No scrolling a zillion menus. Set and forget your compressor on the top. Set your delay on the right. Set for a light overdrive on the left (I recommend the Natural setting, it’s the most transparent/“natural” sounding, duh).

Twist a few knobs and you’re done. Basically like having a few pedals, but a lot more options if you end up wanting them.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
Keeley Memphis Sun is a great “rockabilly in a box” pedal. You can find them used under $150 on Reverb and they’re $179 new.
74621795-57EC-434B-A666-7DFF39156F5D.jpeg

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
Boss ME-50. Super simple to use. Sounds great.

No scrolling a zillion menus. Set and forget your compressor on the top. Set your delay on the right. Set for a light overdrive on the left (I recommend the Natural setting, it’s the most transparent/“natural” sounding, duh).

Twist a few knobs and you’re done. Basically like having a few pedals, but a lot more options if you end up wanting them.
This looks great and cheap used. Simple is what I need. Thanks so much.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I tried the Vox Stomplab - but I don't need so many diff sounds - just good quality, easy to use stuff for Rockabilly.

It doesn't matter if a multi effects has more than you will use.... as long as it does a good/great job of the things you WILL USE!

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic

I just find having multiple pedals confusing.

Compression
Slap Back Delay
Pre-Amp Distortion

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you looked at these? It's almost more like 4 separate pedals just housed in the same case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PVTC88/?tag=tdpri-20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS THIS THIS

I picked up one of these because I was looking for a reverb pedal to pair with my Joyo American Sound. I figured everything else would be gravy. I love this thing! Compact, solidly built, has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

The reverb is easy to dial in and sounds authentic. The delay has a nice analog sound to it and you can easily get a nice slapback. The overdrive adds a nice crunch. With a little treaking of the compression, you can make it a clean boost for solos.

Based on what you're looking for and your desire to avoid multiple pedals and multi-effects that have features you don't need, the Sonicake is exactly what you're looking for.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS THIS THIS

I picked up one of these because I was looking for a reverb pedal to pair with my Joyo American Sound. I figured everything else would be gravy. I love this thing! Compact, solidly built, has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

The reverb is easy to dial in and sounds authentic. The delay has a nice analog sound to it and you can easily get a nice slapback. The overdrive adds a nice crunch. With a little treaking of the compression, you can make it a clean boost for solos.

Based on what you're looking for and your desire to avoid multiple pedals and multi-effects that have features you don't need, the Sonicake is exactly what you're looking for.

+1 -- I've had one of these for several years, and it works just fine. It has actual knobs - small ones - to adjust each effect, no screen or menu. Also, it's small. The power cord is very long, which is nice. It will do what you want, and do it well.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Keeley Memphis Sun is a great “rockabilly in a box” pedal. You can find them used under $150 on Reverb and they’re $179 new. View attachment 904836

I've got one and it's fab.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/Memphis+Sun+LoFi+Reverb+Delay+ADT/

@kmckenna45 if you want to sound and *play* as authentically as possible, IMO compression and distortion will lead you away from *playing* like rockabilly. Use a little 'verb/delay and keep it as simple as possible.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I got a used Dan-Echo off of Sweetwater's used section for $40; built like a tank and in great shape. That Jr Nocturne sounds tasty.

Last edited:

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
I play rockabilly (original 1950s style, not modern Setzer style), and classic country.
I don't really see the need for compression for that kind of music - a delay for slapback echo, and possibly some kind of low gain boost/OD is all you really need for that style.
Personally, I use the Strymon Deco as my only effects pedal (OK, I also have a tuner pedal) - yes, it is pricey! BUT: It has completely ended my GAS for any other effects pedal. It's got the perfect Sun Studio slapback tone, and the "Tape Saturation" side is perfect as a "dirty boost", to get the sound of '50s amps on the verge of overdrive; plus, using the Deco, I only need one pedal for the only two effects I need for playing rockabilly!