1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggestions for low watt amp please

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MikeBee, May 25, 2020.

1. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a low watt tube amp. I rarely have the house to my self, so never really get to crank it up. Currently using Fender Champ 40, I do like the harmonics on the clean channel. I haven't gotten much I like on the other channel, I am not much of a knob turner though. Prefer chimey, harmonicy over gainy if that makes sense.
    Squier Mustang VM and Squier Telecaster Standard both with single coils are what I play. Really enjoying the sounds and feel of the Mustang.
    I am a lousy player, but have made good progress over last 6 months or so. I am gravitating towards bluesy music. Early ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn. On the other hand Sting, The Police, Classic Rock 60's - 80's, Mellow Jazz. So much good stuff spread out over many genres.
    We don't have much local selection, a few other shops 180-220 miles away. Really trying to understand what I should be looking at. Budget up to ~ $1000.00
    TIA, MikeB

2. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Fender Twin Tonemaster. Has killer cleans and an attenuator that allows you to turn it up all the way of you want and not blow out the living room. The Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster is also great but I like the twin sound with the 2x12s. Under 1k. Never need anything else. Takes pedals. But, I play jazz so the cleans are the deal for me. Good luck.
    Greg

stantheman and tubelectron like this.
  3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Isnt that a digital amp

Treehouse likes this.
  4. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Fender Princeton or a Vox AC 15 or an AC 30.

erratick and Alex W like this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m enjoying the living snot out of my Marshall Origin 20.

I’ve always been a live player. Up until the current national situation, I could count the number of times I’ve used an amp in my house on one hand. It’s just not something I do. I once owned an amp for six and half years that never once came into my house. It was either in the trunk of my car or on a stage. I say this stuff so people understand, low wattage or “bedroom” volumes was never even on my radar.

Now with the current situation, much to the chagrin of my children, I find myself actually plugging in at home regularly, for the first time ever.

This Marshall is a blast. Loud enough to do small gigs with. But with the selectable power levels (20 watts, 3 watts, half a watt) I can have a ball with it at home as well. No reverb, so I use a pedal. But man, great tones from clean to crunch, only one channel, loads of sparkle and harmonic content on tap. Doesn’t take up much space.

Of course, I usually run it at full power and already bought an extension cab for it. But even at what most people consider home-player levels it sounds great.

6. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Technically, no. But I apologize. I blanked on the tube part. Mimics the tube so much it's hard to discern. And is only 33lbs.

If by low watt you mean around 15, any of the supros in that 1k range, or the princetons. The Supro comet has 6 and 14 watt setting. Best reverb and tremolo around in my opinion. Might be able to score one around 1k.

7. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

laney vc15
    v good low volume sound even on the drive channel and theyre cheep az chups

zeke54 and kookaburra like this.
  8. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

VHT Special 6. Although I personally feel five watts is even too much if I don’t wanna disturb the rest of the household. I recently modded an Epiphone Valve Junior so it uses a 12ax7 for an output tube and it’s about one watt. It’s my go to for quieter playing. A stock Valve Jr isn’t bad either if you don’t mind buying used. A VHT Special 6 would be a blackface sound and a Valve Jr would be a more tweed sounding amp.

erratick and Treehouse like this.
  9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Add another Vox to your choices. The AC10C1 is very versatile on it's own, but it also seems to handle a lot of pedals well too. Try playing around with the Gain/Volume controls before adding your overdrive pedal.

10. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm looking at a 1w Blackstar HT1R head and I'm planning to sit it on top of my 65 DRRI and use the speaker in that.

I love my DRRI which has been tricked up and converted to a PTP hand built belter, but it's too powerful for home practice.

You can get these on your side of the pond for way below your budget.

Have a listen to this. I hope you enjoy it. :)

bsman likes this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

champion 600. find a 1x12 cabinet to run it through.

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My "low watt tube amp" is a Bugera G5 Infinium head (settings for 5, 1 and .5w), set at 1w through a 1x12 cabinet with an Eminence Lil' Texas neo speaker. Takes pedals well, has an EQ and effects loop. Two channels, good reverb...footswitch. I really cannot fault it. I bought mine used for >$200 (the cabinet and speaker were ~$250).

I usually run the G5 rig in parallel with my Quilter Tone Block 201 (set at 2w with the effects loop through it to another 1x12 with neo and a DV Mark Jazz 0208)...because I can.

That said, the DV Mark Jazz 0208 is a small, lightweight cabinet with neo speakers...perfect for a bedroom setup (or a small gig). I'd team the Bugera G5 with the DV Mark 0208 for a bedroom setup anytime.

Edit: PeterUK is recommending a Blackstar amp...I have a Blackstar HT40 Club, which is really beyond the scope of a bedroom amp...but wanted to interject that the Blackstars are quality gear and worthy of your consideration.

duzie and Treehouse like this.
  13. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Princeton Reverb or tweed Champ.

These amps are popular for a reason.

14. johnnycnote

johnnycnote TDPRI Member

I picked up a 5W Tone King Gremlin at GC last year and it's perfect for my needs (I play for an audience of one wife and one cat, so). Has built in attenuation to half a watt, good cleans, and a sick tone when pushed. Hard to find used for less than $1200, so you'll need to up your budget a bit

The Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr and the Milkman One Watt Plus are still in my GAS radar though ;)

Cloodie, bcorig and Treehouse like this.
  15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

65 PRRI. You will love it forever. Beautiful blackface clean, and a stellar platform for dirt pedals. I own a bunch of low watt amps- a 5F1, a 5E3, Marshall DSL15.... the PRRI is my go-to, 95% of the time. Had it 5 years, and I’ve never had a longer honeymoon period with an amp. The sweet spot is perfect for home.

16. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I am fighting with my Blackstar HT-1 these days and no longer recommend it. The funny IST control, which is all you get (no bass or treble) is excellent in and of itself, but I'm getting tired of the amp's over-trebly response (regardless of tubes or speaker) and fnd that the IST is not enough, on its own, to dial in tone. Ditto for the overdrive, which in mine at least is either OK (at extreme settings) or absurdly over-the top and unpleasant. I'm also finding the cleans to be too spiky unless I dial back the treble everywhere, and then it's too much mids and bottom end. It's in many ways a perfect home amp -- the output is near-perfect -- but it's bugging me big time these days. It's as though it's fixated on a relatively small part of the sonic spectrum and overemphasizes that and not in a good way. Hmmm.

17. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

1 watt, 5 watt, 15 watt, 100 watt all are loud as balls. an attenuator or a drive pedal with any amp can get useable tones at talking volume. in my humble opinion/experience. good luck!

18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Tweed princeton, although with your budget you might find more use in a princeton reverb.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Another vote for the Fender Princeton Reverb. I love my '65 Reissue with a 12" speaker. Ideal for the types of music you play. You can find a used or even a new one for $1000 no problem. It can get loud and beautifully gritty if you want, but you can play it at 3 or 4 and get really tasty tones, shimmering cleans and classic Fender bluesy vibes at home without upsetting anyone. An overdrive/breakup pedal will get you the grunge without having to push the amp. There is a reason so many people have recommended one!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    elihu and Twin52 like this.
  20. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

ok just throwing this out there.... yes, tube amps are awesome and you should get one. but also get an audio interface, good headphones and download Tonelib GFX. I play after the kids go to bed (literally 3ft away on the other side of a wall) without disturbing anyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.