1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggestions for Humbucker Set

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tele-Monster, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I am looking to try a new set of HB's in my Les Paul. Currently I have the stock Burstbucker in the neck and a Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge. I had a Duncan JB in the bridge and loved the lead tones I got from it. Leads were thick and creamy with a very focused high end, but I could not stand the rhythm sounds I was getting. They was no low end and I was really missing the chunky low end I was looking for. I like the WLH, it's very woody sounding and bright, but I'm wondering what other suggestions you guys might have to offer. I've looked at D. Allen and the Duncan Antiquity set, but have not tried either.

I'm looking for a Black Crowes, Joe Bonnamassa, Billy Gibbons, classic rock kind of tone. I play in a Country/Rock band, we do mostly newer country and 70/80/90 rock. I play through a Marshall Artist 3203 for my dirty sound, so classic JCM type tones. I have an SG with 57 Classics in it and to be honest, I don't love those. What ever set I buy for the LP, the set that is currently in it will most likely move to the SG.

What's out there these days? I've tried many boutique winders for my Strat and Tele pups (OC Duff, Lollar, Rio Grande...), but always seem to stick with Duncan buckers. What are you guys using in your Humbucker guitars? What pups have you loved? Which ones have you been unimpressed with? :cool:

2. schroeder

schroeder Tele-Meister

If you have some funds for boutique, check out Motor City Pickups. I have the Detroiter set. Perfect for classic rock. I also just put together a Strat with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge with a Duncan Full Shred in the neck. The Duncan is real sweet and focused. The Super D is bright and in you're face as expected. They combo nicely.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Duncan makes a Bonnamassa set.

4. Tele-Monster

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure that's what I'm seeking. I like Joe's tone, but I'm just using it as a jumping off point.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a vintage LP Custom with a JB bridge and Jazz neck pickups. Works for me but also depends what styles of music you play and what your taste is.

The jazz has extreme clarity plus it's pretty good for almost everything including R&B, classic-rock, latin, rock & roll, jazz standards, Blues, whatever.

The Bustbucker is not really a highly-regarded p/u from what I've read - I would just change that one if you like the JB.

I'm into using my volume controls a lot and find the SD Jazz (even lowered) is louder than two JB pickups (old & new) I've had in that guitar. Makes no real difference but thought I'd mention it...the Jazz is a loud pickup.

6. Tele-Monster

I used the Jazz for years and was never terribly happy with it. Great clean tone and over driven sound but I really want a great over driven sound for both leads and rhythm. Love that Toys In The Attic type sound...

7. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

I'm not even a humbucker guy - I live single coil teles and Gretsch Filtertrons. That said, the single best sounding guitar I own is an SG Standard with PAF style buckers custom wound by Jon Moore at tonefordays.com . I also had a Moore wound humbucker in the neck of a Tele I used to own. They are the best sounding pickups I've ever played. Take a chance, I promise Jon will dazzle you or tweak it until you are dazzled.

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I think you'll like Duncan Custom (SH-5) with output sitting between JB and WLH. Mucho low end. It completes LP + Marshall nicely.

9. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

So many choices out there in all price ranges:

GFS Classic II
    Kent Armstrong Icon '57
    Kent Armstrong Rory Gallagher handwounds
    Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF
    Duncan '59
    Duncan Alnico Pro II
    Duncan Pearly Gates
    Gibson '57 Classics
    Rose California
    TTS '59 Buckers
    Mojotone PAF's
    Fralin
    Lollar

I thought this video by Guitar Player Magazine was very interesting:

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Another vote for the Custom, but I dig the SH14 version. It's a seriously nice pickup at a very reasonable price.

If that doesn't do it for you, it might be time for a custom wind. There are some guys here that can get you set up perfectly for what you want.

......and I agree, the JB is killer for single notes but I'm not a fan of the cleaner rhythm sound.

11. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

What's your budget? Throbacks are some of the best paf replicas out there. Electric city also make great pups. There are many good winders out there, some with less brand recognition than SD or Fralin but putting out better stuff.

12. Tele-Monster

I'd like to keep it in the $300 or under range, so that puts Throbak out of my range. I looked at Electric City, they look pretty sweet. I know Johnny Hiland was endorsing them for a while.

13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I would definitely give Bill over at Electric city a call. He's a really nice guy and will be happy to talk about what you're looking for.

14. Tele-Monster

Saw that video and was amazed, they all sound the same!

15. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I love my SD Seth Lovers in my LP. Very vintage PAF tones.

If I ever get another LP then I think I'd go for a Seth in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge for a slightly heavier tone from that position.

I have 57 Classics in my 335 and I'm not so keen on them but don't intend to change them as they're not bad enough to merit doing so - just not as vintage sounding as the Seths.

16. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

A pickup can't have a good or bad low end. It can have midrange peaks and/or high end losses, but the bass response is always flat. That's because the effects of capacitance, inductance and eddy current losses all decrease as the frequency decreases. If you think a pickup has a weak low end, it's because it has a strong midrange response, and you have turned down the volume to compensate. Similarly, if the low end appears too strong, it's because the highs are weak and you have adjusted the volume up to hear them. In fact, because pickups have different output levels (different sensitivity), you can not make sensible statements about the mids or highs, unless you use the low frequency level as a reference point.

I realize that this may seem off topic, but it's helpful to understand what characteristics you are really seeking.

Edit: The only reason manufacturers specify low end response at all, is either because they don't understand it, or because they feel that customers won't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.