1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggestions for connecting diodes in series?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by hymiepab, Apr 16, 2016.

1. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I'm a noob and am about to try Brian Wampler's Fallclone mod on my Boss SD-1.
    For D4 and D6 he calls for 1n34a and 1n4001 diodes to be mounted in series.
    I guess my question is whether anyone had any tips on how to do this neatly on a relatively tight circuit board without making things sloppy. Thanks!

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

For each diode pair, just make a tee-pee out of them. Remove the old diode, solder in one lead of each of the new diodes so they are both standing straight up, and solder the two loose ends together. Trim the solder joint or put heat shrink on it.
    Be sure the two diodes have the band on the same end, so that it will look like cathode>anode>cathode>anode.

3. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Thanks!
    That's what I was looking for!

4. Tom Freeman

Tom Freeman TDPRI Member

I know you've probably already gone ahead and done the mod, and this is pretty obvious, but make sure you connect the two components as close to each other as possible without making them vulnerable to heat from your iron when soldering. I recently did some diode teepees for a couple of Wampler's DS-1 mods (plus some LED teepees when I was experimenting around with the mods), and it really is much tidier if you can get the parts closer together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.