Suggestions for combined distortion & delay pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by the_lyall, Jan 28, 2017.

1. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

I'm just considering going down this route as I'm trying to keep things as simple/compact as possible without going down the digital multi-effect unit route. I have a really nice OD sound with reverb too but I'm also looking for a more 'singing' lead sound with delay that I can use to boost certain parts, ideally with a single stomp.

After some Googling and YouTubing I'm looking at the Mad Professor Golden Cello but haven't found a huge number of alternatives. I know EHX have the Tone Tattoo but it's a bit overkill considering I never use chorus (and it's a relatively big pedal too, I'm trying to keep things compact).

Does anyone have any experience with the Golden Cello or any suggestions for an alternative? Assume budget isn't a problem, I only need one kidney.

Thanks!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have three Mad Professor pedals: A Golden Cello, a Sweet Honey and a #1. Reading your description, the Cello might just do it for you. It has that singing quality about it that gets fuzzy when it's really cranked. The delay was a bit much for me because I'm more of a rockabilly slapback type, but it nails that big "guitar hero" sound. The quality of MP pedals is great too.
    Edit: MP also makes the Bluebird which also has Delay/Distortion.
    Happy Tone Hunting,
    Rod

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    the_lyall likes this.
  3. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Hey Rod, thanks for the info :) much appreciated

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

Welcome. As a bonus, Bluebird demo...

the_lyall likes this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

I really like the sound of the Mad Professor #1 too. It doesn't have delay but instead it offers a sweet plate reverb sound. It's designed to sound like Eddie Van Halen's tone on the 1st album, hence the #1 designation. The stock "brown" tone was a bit dark for me though, so I opened it up and cranked the internal tone control full up. Much better. :cool:

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Really you'd be better off just to get a true bypass looper and stick the drive and delay of your choosing in there, I mean there's really not many choices for that combo unless you want to go the multi effects route.

7. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Thanks - I had thought of this as an option, however when trying to keep things as small as possible this needs three pedals instead of one. But yes, it is still an option if I can't find a suitable pedal :)

8. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Fly Rig 5?

9. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

That was my original plan! I'm struggling to justify why I decided to get single pedals instead now. Although the fly rig (and the RK5 version I was looking at) still needs two stomps for distortion and delay.

10. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Do you have two feet?

11. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Yes, but not a very good sense of balance... I've done the two pedal (and three with a sideways foot when I was in a band) thing before. I'm just wondering if there's an easy way. Like I said I'm just considering the options :)

12. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

A friend of mine used to use two sounds - clean and "freakout" which was a combination of around 5 or 6 pedals. He stuck a piece of wood right across all of the pedal's switches so he could have an all-on or all-off option.
    It worked. Kinda.

Piotr and the_lyall like this.
  13. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Agitator likes this.
  14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Get an OD that cleans up good and use the guitar's volume knob to bring up the level and drive for solos. That eliminates one stomp. If you just use the delay for thickening or a little ambiance you might be able to just leave it on. If your delay is going to be more of an effect, hit it for solos. Rhythm parts usually sound better dry anyway.

Sorry for the derail but the combination pedals I've tried don't offer enough control over the delay. Even if they did, I wouldn't want to be locked into one drive sound just to use my delay. YMMV...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

rburd2 likes this.
  16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well you could just go the programmable looper way. Here, 8 loops and 8 scenes in a manually programmed looper.

[​IMG]

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  17. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

18. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Just use two micro pedals in a loop. I currently use a digIdelay and a rat for my solos although I'm planning on going smaller and more minimalist with it.

19. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

The MOOG Minifooger Delay has a 22db built in Drive that's really nice. You can also use it as a stand alone drive.

[​IMG]

20. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I was going to mention this. It's killer.
    Another option would be the Industrialectric Echo Degrader... check it out. Quite gnarly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.