Suggestions for amp please

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Voicing 13, Feb 28, 2019.

1. SandyMays

SandyMays TDPRI Member

If your looking not to spend to much a fender deville or blues deville 212 or 410 is prob one of the best bang for your buck especially if you play with pedals those amps are work horses and can be found used for around 500

2. markal

markal Tele-Holic

You have a million good suggestions.

Depending on how you play some are more versatile than others. Do you use pedals?

I second the thought that if they play loud you risk not getting many gigs. Most places we play ask us to turn down, even when we think we’re already playing pretty low.

Everyone has their views on SS vs tube. I have been pretty happy with a Roland Blues Cube and some other SS amps. The Blues Cube Artist can be insanely loud and very quiet and sounds good no matter what because of the power scaling. And because it’s similar I would not hesitate to use the Boss Nextone, though there have been some reports that it’s not as loud as the Blues Cube.

And you can’t go wrong with Peavey Bandit for cheap. I’ve seen some blues cats around here absolutely kill it with old Bandits.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Bassman RI will do anything and everything a blues band will need

4. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey!

Ok that gives me plenty to look into.

Yes they are loud but the are on the good side of the restaurant owner, so no chance of loosing the gig:)

It's actually a very cool gig, fancy burger place with a full stage with light system. You play for 2h strait no break and go home. None of this waiting an hour between sets and leaving around 3:30am.

The most affordable amps right now are the cubes, as I could pickup a Cube80 for 325$ It's not a twin or Deluxe though. I'll call a local store from my old neighborhood and see what he has. He owes me one.

In terms of pedals, I am running a Tube scream (TS9), I had a Fender amp emulator by Joyo (40$ on amazon, great pedal for the money). The sounds that I need for the show are pretty simple. I have a Wah but there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

Thank you all, I'll keep you posted.

gizzard likes this.
  5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I just don’t understand the “get a twin” advice. It just simply does NOT make sense to me. I mean, you would NEVER be able to turn it up past 2-3 no matter the venue.

Of the previous suggestions, I’d probably suggest a Supro Blues King.

OR frankly, I’d suggest a 5e3 of some kind.

Finally, I’d suggest a Fender Blues Jr. IV. But if you’re gonna do that, why not get the Supro BK?

6. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

59 Bassman LTD
    well made, Perfect actor for the part !!
    Sounds fabulous 4X10, Tube rectified 6L6GC Fender sweetness.
    What more do you need ???
    800 to 900 used all day long.

dang it ! now I want another one LOL !!!

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like twins because they sound great and are cheap- but really they are a pain to move. I'd rather move a twin than a super. If you have more money vibrolux or deluxe reverb...as has been said if a deluxe reverb is not loud enough something is wrong

Straydogger likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a used one local to you.
    Johan Sageborn Peavey Bandit Most Legendary Budget SS Amp

An Orange 35RT, around $250, has been used by a few for bar gigs.

DOC DYA likes this.
  9. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

What would I use? For the genre you've listed my go to is a Kustom 72 Coupe 212. Although a bit hefty lack of volume has never been an issue and from clean to dirt does it all very well. What you or others would use is anyone's guess. Just a matter of preference I'd imagine. I'd say try a bunch till you find something that suits you.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Decent looking Peavey Classic 50 on local Facebook Marketplace for 350.
    Are they really that cheap?

joe_cpwe likes this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I gigged with a Twin for years, and of course you can play it past 3.

Durtdog likes this.
  12. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Peavey. I’ve had a C30, great amp. Now have a DB210, and it’s awesome as well. You won’t have an issue with volume, and they’re tough as nails. A C50 would be a good choice too. They all take pedals really well. A Tube Screamer into any of them works great!

13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Marshall Origin. 50W if you need cleans with a loud band - 20 if the band is not too loud and/or you don't want real cleans.
    Roland Blues Cube.

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Look at Blackstar. They have a few models that should meet your needs

15. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you are using a pedal to make your amp sound like a Fender, why wouldn't you be using a Fender in the first place?

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I could only manage to get $375 for mine when I sold it last year. I still miss and hated to see it go, because it was very versatile and sounded great. But it was just sitting here unused, and I finally figured I was never going to have a need for it.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cube 60 or 80 and a pedal or two .

No.

One .

Will.

Notice .

Or

Care.

Or .

Even.

Hear.

You...

18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

The awesome "secret " the internet doesn't tell you is people rush off and buy huge amps because we all "know" a full stack is the guitar equivalent of driving a Lamborghini to high school (more accurately I'd call it a delorean ...) but very few people NEED 50-100w of amp coming out 4 12s. So, peavey valveking half stacks go for less than a C30 or DB often. Also, C50s occupy the same price range as the 30s frequently. Even just cabs (that dont say Marshall) go for cheap, the bottom cab is the unwanted spoiler-ona-pinto of the amplifier world. Lastly, I'm a fender guy. But that logo adds price. A Bugera v22 doesn't sound like the legendary fender 22w staple. (Ain't supposed to, el84s are in the V22...)
    In my mind, tube is the only choice(but that doesn'tmean other people have to share that view). SS ppl can talk up anything, but it's not going to have the dynamics or warmth of a tube amp anymore than I can pretend my fender 75 isn't stupid heavy and require maintenance and treating it like a Ming vase. BUT. SS can be had for dirt if you look hard. Theres a reason, but I wont argue that I could have a wall of solid state combos for the price of one great sounding fender or marshall.
    Most people who think they can "do guitar " pick up huge SS rigs, realize it takes a little work, then sell.

If you don't mind 4' of cabinet or combo, silverface bassman combos go for sub $500 and lower in pawn shops and used from just people.

All this talk of Bassman, remember that its 4 different sounds people are talking about. I mean an AB165 that's a rock and blues staple. 5e3 is the true bassman like tele_pathic suggested, which is RIs, and boutique clones that can be had for reasonable money all things considered. Then theres the pre AB165 BF stuff, also a blues and rock staple. Then there are the other category of late 60s into the 70s (early 80s maybe?) That are myriad in different configuration and while not as desired as the other 3 are nominally 6L6 driven perfectly viable providers of clean headroom that can deliver some cooked tones and are decent for pedals.

What kind of blues, though? If you're after certain things, blackstar, Marshall, orange are viable. If you're after different things, other stuff is optimal. But play a Supro Blues king before you decide. You'll see why...

19. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Hot Rod Deville 2x12 or 4x10
    I see them all the time in $350 range

I see $100-150 212 frontman a lot
    Even Champion 100’s or Princeton 65’s in the under $200 range

I scored a 2x12 Princeton ultra chorus few years ago for $150
    I also have a Fender Champion x2 head I got for $150 couple mounths ago and I run it thru a $100 Bugera 2x12 cab that gets the job done

I just missed an Egnatter tweeker head and 2x12 cab for $300

There out there just get to hunting

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

These will do any genre you like and switch between them on demand.

Katana
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.