1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggestions for amp please

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Voicing 13, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hi,

I've recently joined a blues band and we have a gig in May. The repertoire goes from Clapton bluesbreacker and cream, Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and John Mayall.

I need suggestions and options on amps that you would use.

I can't break the bank, and will need to get something used. Good thing is that I have time on my hands for something worth while to come up or I can rent for the gig.

I am definitely one to believe that tone is in the fingers and have spent a lot of time on that. Therefore, not a lot on amp knowledge etc...

I haven't gigged (except for your jazz cocktail hour) since the kids and I only have a Cube 30 left.

Currently around me I could buy the following amps:

Boss Katana 100 new but that's because I have lots of gift cards(!)
    Fender Deluxe reverb for 765$ used
    Cube 60 and 80 at 200$ and 400$

A twin is expensive but I believe certain years are better than others if you are going to buy used. Therefore there is a need to be careful.

Another important point is that these guys plays serious LOUD. Use my earplugs that night.

So, gentlemen and ladies, I would be greatfull for your suggestions and education on the matter.

Thanks

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d suggest the Roland Cube 80XL.
    They are my all time favorite amps.
    They are light, loud, versatile, dependable, replaceable, intuitive to use, inexpensive, and have a built in looper, chromatic tuner and great sounding effects.
    I also prefer it’s closed back.
    There is no sound leakage from the back of the amp.
    The Katana would be my second choice, followed by either a Blues Cube Artist or Nextone.
    The Roland/Boss stuff is hard to beat, IMO.

P Thought, Treynor and markal like this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I don't have experience with the other amps you mentioned, but for the repertoire you are going to be covering, the Deluxe Reverb will play very nicely. Up around 5/6 on the volume it has a nice growl which responds really nicely to dynamics and technique (and volume knob usage). It's a really fun amp to play with.

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

The Deluxe Reverb won't keep up with a loud drummer. If there are Fender Twins to be had, check into the specifics. The general trend was towards increased clean headroom as the years went by and the models were changed.

Alternatively, you could get the Cube 60 and the Cube 80 and use them in stereo. Spread the sound around the bandstand.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If your drummer is too loud for a Deluxe Reverb, fire him.
    TONS of great amps out there.
    It's the golden age of guitar gear.
    Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 or 1x15 are great for the dough.
    Deluxe Reverb, of course.
    For my dough...I'm seeing early 70s Super Reverbs for under a grand.
    This is shocking:
    https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/d/lititz-vintage-68-fender-super-reverb/6814418057.html
    Later Silverface ones get cheaper.
    For 7-800 you can have an amp that is, IMO, second only to a tweed Bassman.
    BTW...Reissue tweed Bassmans (Bassmen?) are way under a grand.

6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Marshall Origin 50,add ext cab if needed.

Treynor and noah330 like this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You can find used Twins for cheaper than you'll find a used Deluxe Reverb. People buy'em and then regret hauling them around because of the weight. Don't know anything about the Katana or the Roland.

Have you considered a Peavey Classic 50? A 2 x 12 would probably cut the mustard.

noah330 likes this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree that the Deluxe deserves consideration. You might also want to consider the Super or the Vibrolux if you need more beef.

9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Forget the Twin, you will hope not to get live gigs just to avoid to take it around. :):):)

Mayas caster and CCK1 like this.
  10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Aside the from the portability issues with a Twin you would still need to get some OD pedals to cover the range of tones you mention.

For the blues repertoire you've referenced, I would see if you can find a used 59 Bassman reissue, you should be able to find one under $1000. It's also got enough juice to hang with a loud band.

11. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

If they play that loud, get a Twin. You won’t have to move it much because the band won’t get asked back.

Paul G., ponce, Asmith and 8 others like this.
  12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Twin.

Straydogger, Dismalhead and Kreepy like this.
  13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

the tones you reference mostly came out of tube amps, so I would start there. the origin 50 is a good inexpensive starting point but maybe impossible to find secondhand -- they haven't been making them long. the standard bar-band backline amp around here is the hot rod deluxe / blues deluxe and there are a million of 'em out there and they sometimes go for cheap. the dirt channel on these gets mixed reviews but you can always stick a pedal in front of it for a different flavor. 2x6L6, forty watts or so, through a single 12.

peavy delta blues / classic 30 would be worth checking out as well -- loud enough, common as dirt on craigslist. you might get lucky and find an AC30CC out there, too -- the best-sounding of all these amps (to my ear) and will keep up with a Marshall half-stack easily. happy hunting.

14. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

lineboat, ponce and Fiesta Red like this.
  15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

If you can find a Vibrolux and it's filter caps aren't shot, that would be my choice long before hauling a twin around. 35 watts. Long shot in finding one however.

Actually a Marshall DSL40C would be a good pick because it is the sound of a lot of those players . Its twice the volume of the Deluxe, rugged and if you stay away from the extreme overdrive settings and just push the amp, it's a great tone. You can find these under $500. 40 watts with a step down switch for 20 watts in small rooms.

Straydogger and Dismalhead like this.
  16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    You can't go wrong with many of what was suggested... after years of trying many, many amps... I'm down to two of the best sounding as well as fitting into about any setting amps I've every played... Vibrolux and Tremolux Perfect power and perfect tone for my needs (classic rock). Sold a BFSR and don't miss it having both of these around... good luck!

powerwagonjohn likes this.
  17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Fender Blues Deluxe, Peavey Delta blues / C30 or a fender Baseman if youcanfind one. The C30 works for me. A lot of the tone depends on your axe / amp combo. Make sure you test the amp with the axe you are going to use.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Marshall DSL and a decent overdrive.

Straydogger likes this.
  19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

If you want easy controls and are gonna mic it, the Supro blues king is fantastic to the point where it puts blues jrs to shame.

If you are cool in the general sub $1k level, test a fender bassbreaker 18/30 combo. While they aren't what I needed this year, they have a decent array oth sounds you can get, essentially turning the second "channel " into another power setting, almost like another amp. Almost.

Peavey classic 30 (I just bought one) and delta blues (still want a 210 version) are great. Tremelo on DB is fantastic, spring reverb on the 30 is better than most non fender spring reverb, and the second channel has pre/post controls so you shape your gauntlet channel and its volume to where you want.

If you live somewhere you can find one, silverface bassman heads wired to AB165 is a fantastic sounding amp. I had an excessively large cab, but these pushing a pair of 12s sound great, or 4 of em. Many options are there if you go used fender.

Marshall origin series would work, I'm just not as excited about them as the new supro this year.

The last "amp hopper " I knew in a blues band had to switch depending on venue. While some things plainly didn't do what he wanted, some things didn't work for where they played . Twins and Dlx reverb reissues are findable for sub $1k, 59 bassman RIs sit around $1k....

I found my options limited more by my budget and wanting to play what was around more than by what existed.

Ampeg reverbrocket, Carvin Belair, jet city stuff, and more can be great for bluesy stuff, but aren't quite easy to locate, and dont work for everyone.

Some guys like Mesas for blues, but I'm unconvinced they're better than Marshall's if that's the sound you're after.

I've seen Voxs used, but cant exactly say the people got what they wanted out of them.

Determine how much headroom you're after for cleans, and test what you can find locally.

Plenty of options, but nobody can tell you if what youre looking for can be achieved with a given amp.

But keep in mind, if you hate digital reverb, spring reverb becomes more important in you're demands. Also, a blues driver, or a tube screamer, or many other pedals can give you good blues dirt, but there isn't really a pedal that turns the gain channel of an orange tiny terror into a good clean channel...

20. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Hahaha!! This gave me the giggles. Thanks.

I’d get the Katana 100. Very versatile and loud enough. Bargain for the $. Plus, I’m not one to hold on to gift cards. At least try one out. Since it’s not a tube amp, you won’t have to practice loud to find your sound when playing solo, but you can still play with a band.

Of course, if you’re looking for more of a lifetime amp, who wouldn’t love to have a Bassman or a Twin. Or a Marshall Super Lead and stack. ;)

thegeezer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.