Suggestions for a sound-neutral booster

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by wulfenganck, Nov 25, 2016.

1. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hi,

my main guitar is a hollowbody with a P90 in neck and a humbucker in bridge position. The guitar is significantly louder than my hollowbody with two filtertronic-style pickups due to their rather low output.
    I like the sound and need the guitar for certain songs of our set.

Adjusting the volume on my amp when changing the guitar is no option: I regularly mike my amp and changing the volume setting will be difficult - not to mention the joy of turning knobs on a stage.....
    I thought about a small line mixer, but I'm playing wireless and don't want to use several units.

Therefore I'm looking for a booster which does NOT alter the sound.
    So far most of the boosters I know and tried do influence the sound. Some of them are great in enhancing the sound, but that's not what I want - I just want to have a quick and reliable volume adjust.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BBE boosta grande

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I would just use an EQ pedal, like the Boss. That way you can adjust the frequencies so it doesn't change the sound and just use the volume slider to set the amount of boost you need.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

EQD Tone Job, always a need for some EQ when boosting. Run it at 12-18v for even more clean uncolored boost.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

DOD 410 BiFet Boost. Mentioned in the article @RetroTeleRod linked. The Tone knob allows you to make it sound flatter if you want. That is tricky to do with boosts. Adding volume to a tube amp inherently changes EQ to a degree, and even going into a SS amp the sound will change (our ears hear louder as "different").

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    For clarification: I will put the booster - or EQ, thanks for the hint (stupid me) - in the effects loop, therefore it's not going to overdrive the input of my amp.
    Anybody tried the TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster - I'd like to have a small size pedal on my board?

8. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

The regular sized spark is pretty sweet. It's got some EQ options on it to attenuate or boost lows and highs, but not as much tone shaping as a parametric EQ would. If you go the para-EQ route, +1 for EQD Tone Job. If not, I say TC Spark.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You might look into the EHX Signal Pad.

10. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

While I no longer use a boost pedal, the Caroline Icarus Boost was the most neutral boost out of the dozen or so I tested. One of the knobs controls the highs while the other sets the output volume/boost. What I liked most about the Icarus is that the brightness knob is absolutely neutral/transparent at one end of the dial and, by increasing the amount, one can regain any highs lost from long cable runs. When I had a big pedalboard, I set the knob to 8:30 to sound identical to plugging direct into the amp. I don't know of anybody else who's owned one or even tried one at a local shop, but to my ears it's the most natural sounding boost available.

11. cobaltu

cobaltu Tele-Meister

You might consider the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop:

[​IMG]

It's technically an overdrive, but it is really a clean boost at heart with the ability to internally distort. I wouldn't be surprised it it was originally meant to be a clean boost but was expanded on to make it more versatile and give it broader appeal. with the drive set below about half and the sag set fully up it is basically a buffered volume control. I own one and it really isn't hard at all set it up to just be your natural sound with more or less volume. It can also get subtle graduations of low-fi and slightly sizzley clean sounds with the sag control (which has no effect when cranked). Again, super neutral sounding and versatile.

12. zapata

zapata NEW MEMBER!

13. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Piotr likes this.
  14. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

You might also try a Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor, with compression at 0. It is an extremely transparent pedal.
    An obvious alternative, I guess, would be to turn DOWN the louder guitars. Either with a pedal - or with the volume knob. And then just turn up the amp to match this setup. Free solution ;)

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

This one. 20 db clean clean volume boost.

16. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

I wouldn't advise boosting in the fx loop. Depends on your amp but it could get flubby quick.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Man, have I been through a crap load of boosts. I like the Boosta Grande. A LOT. But it does beef up the load end. Not totally transparent.

My current fave is the Fulltone Fat Boost 3. With the hi and lo controls, and separate gain and volume, I can get a totally clean and tone matched Boost for just about anything.

18. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Durham Sex Drive, EP Booster or simply a Boss EQ pedal set flat.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Xotic RC booster is surprisingly uncolored, and the active treble and bass controls have center detents at the flat settings, but can both boost and cut treble or bass if the extra gain changes your perceived tone a little.
    Interesting gain and level controls allow a fattening effect without adding any grit, but you can simply keep level high and gain low for transparent boost.
    They sell around $100 used.

brbadg likes this.
  20. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Almost any thing that increase the size of the signal is going to cause distortion in a tube amp. Unless you're playing a big amp very, very quietly. The smaller the amp, and the more you have to turn it up pre-boost to hear it, the more any kind of boost will cause non-transparent tone coloration and distortion.
    Which amp?
    How big is it?
    Where's that volume knob set at?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.