Suggestions for a Rockabilly/Jazz Tube amp for bedroom practice - under $800 new/$500 Used?

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
any good solid state or tube amp
Nocturne Mystery Brain

I have the El Pescadoro, which is amazing.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
Hmmm, octals. They sound great but you're looking at vintage $$$ (C series and earlier Fenders, 40s-50s Gibsons, some later Ampegs, among others). There's always Alessandro...If it was me, I'd be looking for a decent 60s Ampeg Gemini 1 or 2. I would walk away quickly from any modern 'fenders', etc. There should be plenty of Ampegs around NY and you might be able to find one in the $5-600 range.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Laney L5T-112 is a 12" speaker equipped, 5 Watt, single ended box of awesome.
3x12AX7 for the pre-amp, 1xEL84 output valve. Newer models have a digital reverb, which is nice enough. Switchable gain, effects loop for a real spring reverb if the on-board doesn't work well enough for you, plus tremolo in the loop sounds very good indeed.
The cleans are awesome. The beautiful complexity a single ended amp run clean, yet hot, gives is there in spades. As it gets louder, it compresses naturally and gives quite a lively sound. Louder still and there's the bark. Flat out, frankly, not so good. Keep the gain and master around '7' on the dials though, and small amp heaven. At that stage, it's proper ruddy loud though. Loud enough to be heard crystal clear in a live situation ( pub band ). One of the, if not the, finest sounding non-boutique or built by me ( I'm biased more than my amps :) ) low power amps it has ever been my pleasure to play through. I GAS for one still.
There's a head version too, which is a recording amp for the modern era.

I'd be sorely tempted though to go solid state and use a high voltage valve pedal into the front and pocket the change. Orange and Roland solid state amps really do have a lot going for them.

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
Vintage 47 amps specialize in octal, 1940s style amps, especially Valco/Supro amps, plus at least one Gibson inspired amp.

I own one of these and it is a quality amp. I don't think any of the models have reverb but maybe I'm wrong on that.

There is actually a used Vintage 47 amp right now on the Guitar Center website:

They also have a vintage Supro amp, the sort of thing that Vintage 47 bases their designs on:

Personally I'd be interested in the recent Vintage 47 than a ragged vintage Supro.

As far as the prices on new ones, the "Ric Style Supreme," which is what I have, will end up a hair under $1,000 after shipping.
1642813378921.png

The smaller "Oahu Suitcase" aka "suitacse amp" may not fit your criteria but it's less costly and is cool as heck:
1642813483918.png

The Chicago Triple is an unusual looking amp, really cool. Also under $1000.
1642814289449.png

Well that's enough to whet your appetite if they appeal to you at all. You can visit their website to see the other models.

Last edited:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
@BigDaddyLH , @KC and @ndcaster beat me to it on the Nocturne stuff, which I have been hoping for a chance to try myself. Another option if you’re not locked into an actual octal-tubed combo is the Sarno V8 Octal Tube Guitar Preamp:

I’ve never tried one of these either, but Brad Sarno—a St. Louisan, like me—rented me some mic preamps for a recording project years ago and seemed like a super-cool and knowledgeable guy. I think he and his products are big on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Fun Fact: my wife went to high school with Sarno’s older sister. So clearly you should get a Sarno V8 Octal Tube Preamp.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
The budget will be your problem. There are amps out there that will fit your criteria, but most are vintage and $$$.

I will put in the NEW Harmony 8418. You'd have to find a used one tho, they made x amount and I don't think there are any more. It's single-ended (1 power tube) combo, with an Octal preamp. I only suggest it because "bedroom" was mentioned. It's not loud enough for anything else, even when cranked. So many 5W amps in the last 15 years (Champion 600 for example) could actually be quite loud. Not the Harmony. It's E-A-S-Y to get the "smear" you mention... when it's on 10, it's like what you hear on Charlie Christian recordings.. a tad overdriven.

It's only got a volume control, so if you wanted EQ or anything else, you'll need pedals.

BTW: I own one, so I'm speaking from experience, not reading reviews and watching demos LOL. The demos for this amp suck... everybody puts a dirt pedal in front of it. That's not what this amp is for. It's old-school tone at low volumes. Natural, octal, overdrive. I almost sold mine, but decided that would be foolish because there's no way to get a handwired octal amp with that old school tone without spending alot of money. The Harmony is great. It really only does that one thing, but if that one thing is what you want, at low volumes, it's the shizzle.

And if you want it to be a little clearer, replacing the speaker with a ribbed-cone one will do that... a tad clearer, a tad louder. I did it. I preferred the stock speaker, because like you, I want the smear!

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
Bought a Silverface reissue Fender '68 Vibro Champ Reverb a few months ago and it seems to fit the bill for what you need. Tubes and great sounding onboard reverb and tremelo. 5 watts 1x10" combo. Mine took a couple weeks to break in and then it started to sound awesome. Think I paid like $635 for it new 6 months ago with the standard 15% discount from MF.

View attachment 942689
This looks like what I'm aiming for...thanks!!!!

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
@BigDaddyLH , @KC and @ndcaster beat me to it on the Nocturne stuff, which I have been hoping for a chance to try myself. Another option if you’re not locked into an actual octal-tubed combo is the Sarno V8 Octal Tube Guitar Preamp:

I’ve never tried one of these either, but Brad Sarno—a St. Louisan, like me—rented me some mic preamps for a recording project years ago and seemed like a super-cool and knowledgeable guy. I think he and his products are big on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Fun Fact: my wife went to high school with Sarno’s older sister. So clearly you should get a Sarno V8 Octal Tube Preamp.
Vintage 47 amps specialize in octal, 1940s style amps, especially Valco/Supro amps, plus at least one Gibson inspired amp.

I own one of these and it is a quality amp. I don't think any of the models have reverb but maybe I'm wrong on that.

There is actually a used Vintage 47 amp right now on the Guitar Center website:

They also have a vintage Supro amp, the sort of thing that Vintage 47 bases their designs on:

Personally I'd be interested in the recent Vintage 47 than a ragged vintage Supro.

As far as the prices on new ones, the "Ric Style Supreme," which is what I have, will end up a hair under $1,000 after shipping.
View attachment 942711

The smaller "Oahu Suitcase" aka "suitacse amp" may not fit your criteria but it's less costly and is cool as heck:
View attachment 942712

The Chicago Triple is an unusual looking amp, really cool. Also under $1000.
View attachment 942718

Well that's enough to whet your appetite if they appeal to you at all. You can visit their website to see the other models.
I used to have the Vintage47 Bronson - similar to the one you link too...AND SOLD IT!!!! It's one of those mistakes I kick myself for - it was a great amp. They come and go so quickly on reverb... A little to high priced for me - but that's my ideal amp, really. Thanks.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Not tube but some of the Quilter amps would certainly work well for your needs, the Aviator Cub 50 is a cool amp, sounds great at any volume and has 3 voices, Tweed Blonde BF.

I have a Quilter 101 Reverb amp that I use with either a 1-10 or 1-12 cabinet, could use it with both if needed.
I've owned a LOT of tube amps, the Quilter holds it's own and then some, on recordings of our band rehearsals it sounds better to me than some of the tube amps I've owned.

Reactions: BB

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I've owned a few Peavy Classics/Delta Blues over the years. They are fine amps, but not what the OP is looking for. Not even the Peavy Classic 20 (the original one).

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
vox ac4 htv is great for me. Nice sound and a built in attenuator if the fairly loud 4 watts is too much. And if toy can get a pescadero go for it, its fantastic for rockabilly and r&b etc.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I can't recommend an amplifier because it usually change always I finish new one but speaker what stay for home playing is Jensen P10R-F because it is sweetest sounding only 92,5db sensitivity speaker for vintage music.