Suggestions for a Rockabilly/Jazz Tube amp for bedroom practice - under $800 new/$500 Used?

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
My old amp is doomed - and I've been looking around for a while. I play pretty clean Jazz/Rockabilly - but I like the octal pre-amp crunch too.

What combo amps could you suggest that go for under $1000 new or $500 used?

I'd like to have a 12" speaker, but could go to a 10" if that helps with price point.

I'd like on board reverb - Ideally, I'd love a Fender Reverb Deluxe - but that's above my price point.

I'd appreciate you suggestions.

I'm not in a place where I can go and try a bunch of amps...that I can afford....

Thanks.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Fender excelsior. No verb but does have tremolo. It’s very close to a 5e3 in topology, which would be pretty common in those days in either genre. Though it’s a 15” and 12-ish watts. Mostly corksniffers who scoff at it.

Otherwise I would look into a 5f1 champ or 5f2a Princeton clone.

And just figure out reverb in pedal form.

Last edited:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Fender excelsior. No verb but does have tremolo. It’s very close to a 5e3 in topology, which would be pretty common in those days in either genre. Though it’s a 15” and 12-ish watts. Mostly corksniffers who scoff at it.

Otherwise I would look into a 5f1 champ or 5f2a Princeton clone.

And just figure out reverb in pedal form.
Never heard of those but it sounds very cool. A Fender with 2 6V6s and 2 12AX7s for under $400 used. Very nice.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
What's your old amp? Why is it doomed? Are you upstate, downstate, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier...?

Yeah def on the high side for bedroom levels, maybe you can figure out an attenuator situation.
Less attenuation needed if you're trying for clean jazz/rockabilly tones.

Octal preamp tubes are into the realm of getting real lucky at the swap meet, or expanding your search area (or learning how to build amps).

I have a lot of amps, many of them are tube amps, and some of them even work!

I think the most I paid for any of them was $300. So there are definitely amps out there.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
What's your old amp? Why is it doomed? Are you upstate, downstate, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier...?

Less attenuation needed if you're trying for clean jazz/rockabilly tones.

Octal preamp tubes are into the realm of getting real lucky at the swap meet, or expanding your search area (or learning how to build amps).

I have a lot of amps, many of them are tube amps, and some of them even work!

I think the most I paid for any of them was $300. So there are definitely amps out there.

Yeah but still have to bump into the compression zone to get that altered chord smear.

As far as octals, are Oahus and similar dept store derivatives still cheap? I never messed with the “pre-war” stuff.

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Used 68 Custom Princeton Reverb would suit you I bet. Or a used PRRI with a 12”, but might be hard to find one under $1000 these days.

Roland Blues Cube Hot or Artist. I have and love the Artist and I had the Hot before. Both are great.

Dostradamas

Tele-Holic
Another vote for excelsior

Attachments

• Esquire Excelsior.jpg
    Esquire Excelsior.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 22

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I paid $800 for my off the floor Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 but that was then and this is now.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
My old amp is doomed - and I've been looking around for a while. I play pretty clean Jazz/Rockabilly - but I like the octal pre-amp crunch too.

What combo amps could you suggest that go for under $1000 new or $500 used?

I'd like to have a 12" speaker, but could go to a 10" if that helps with price point.

I'd like on board reverb - Ideally, I'd love a Fender Reverb Deluxe - but that's above my price point.

I'd appreciate you suggestions.

I'm not in a place where I can go and try a bunch of amps...that I can afford....

Thanks.
Bought a Silverface reissue Fender '68 Vibro Champ Reverb a few months ago and it seems to fit the bill for what you need. Tubes and great sounding onboard reverb and tremelo. 5 watts 1x10" combo. Mine took a couple weeks to break in and then it started to sound awesome. Think I paid like $635 for it new 6 months ago with the standard 15% discount from MF.

FndrVbroChmp.jpg

Last edited:

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Roland Blues Cube Hot or Artist. I have and love the Artist and I had the Hot before. Both are great.
I will second the suggestion of the non-tubed Blues Cube Artist. 80 SS watts that can be scaled down to 0.5 watt. It accepts Roland Tone Capsules that change the amp’s Bassman tone to a DR or Vox or JTM45 or ODS. It also does a good job of emulating the feel of a tube amp. (Don’t knock it until to try it. It easily bests several of my tube amps)

You probably won’t find one used under $500, but you certainly can find them under $800 (tone capsules usually sold separately)

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
It's going to depend a lot on the volume you can get away with.

For example, I have a SFPR but I can't get away with cranking it to a good volume if my wife is watching Really Drunk Housewives downstairs. So, to keep the volume down I use an attenuator/load box going into an IR cab pedal then into a mixer where I can send the signal to speakers, headphones or recording interface.

I also have some other smaller tube amps, such as a Monoprice 5w and a '64 Champ that I use sometimes. I also have some modeling amps and devices that I use sometimes as well but I prefer to use the SFPR most of the time.