Suggestions for a possible Lil Dawg tweed order

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by horseman308, May 20, 2017.

1. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I'm looking for my "last" amp. I'm not someone who wants several amps, just one great one, and a Lil Dawg is s serious competitor for me, but I've never played one. I could use some input from y'all about which Lil Dawg would be the wiser choice. I'm a very blues and roots rock based player with all the influences and interests you'd expect from that. I use Teles, LPs, and a Strat. I play a lot of slide, if that matters here. My current main amp is a VHT Special 6 through a V30. It has worked well in small, tame situations, but it clearly has its limits.

Currently, I play in a southern rock-ish cover band that also does a good bit of more mainstream rock and 90s alternative. 6-7 members. Gigs are anywhere from small bars to clubs and ballrooms. So, I need some degree of versatility in terms of getting a great sound at a variety of volumes but a great basic clean-to-mild overdrive. Effects are mostly wah, TS type booster, reverb, and tremolo.

Budget is $1000 absolute max finished with speaker; I will build the cab. In all cases I'm planning on a 1x12 combo for portability with an Eminence FDM speaker to attenuate volume (can adjust the sensitivity from 91 to 99 dB). 2x12 is just overkill for me. I'd consider 2x10 if the argument makes sense.

1. Deluxe with 25w output. I love the Deluxe sound, both clean and dirty. However I kinda like having a more adjustable tone stack.

2. Lowest power (35w?), Twin or Bassman circuit. I like the more adjustable tone stack. But is that too much power for my needs? And I prefer the sound of 6v6 overdrive to 6l6 (if I could ever get one of these to that point without pissing everybody off!)

All thoughts and suggestions are most welcome!

Jakeboy likes this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I'd email Jim at LilDawg and discuss it with him. His build quality is definitely right for the 'last' amp you ever need -- but all the more reason to make sure you get the right amp.

Before we did anything else, we had a relaxed, helpful dialog about which amp I might like best for my needs. He didn't push just one answer, but really listened to my goals.

Plus, if I'm right, he might suggest combining a couple concepts -- if I'm right, most of his stock builds bigger than the D-Lux seem to feature non-6V6 tubes as standard. But I think he can tweak PT, OT, rectifier, and other choices to get you where you want to go.

Nickadermis likes this.
  3. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Talk to Jim... I have owned 5 Dawgs over the years and can offer this:

Go with the 12 watt Deluxe....the difference in headroom is. It that great, and the original circuit just has the smoky grind. I had a 25 water and changed it out to the 12 watt OT.

Ask Jim about the Ol Yeller...a 6g6b Blonde Bassman clone with 5881s. Prolly about 40 watts with the smaller tubes. Normal channel is KILLER cleans and OD...Bass channel is pure OD.

Also check out the chocoDawg 6g3 brown Deluxe. Fender cleans to Marshallish grind.

I have all these plus a Champster and I owned a Pug....next on my list is his latest...a BullDawg....AC30 circuit with 2 el84s...15 watts of bliss.

MickM likes this.
  4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've got a 25 watt Dawg tweed deluxe and I love talking to Jim. He's a great guy and will freely offer advice. I went with the extra clean headroom of the 25 water per Jims advice and I'm pretty happy. I'd love to pick up a Wonder Dawg to go with it.

5. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jim will take you where you want to go. As already mentioned he does listen and won't push anything that you don't want or doesn't fit your needs. I have a deluxe and a champster and love them both. Really appreciated how much time Jim spent with me.

brbadg likes this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps he'd be willing to build you a ~22 watt 6V6 powered Bassman?

Milspec and MickM like this.
  7. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

I also owned somewhere around 10 of Jims amps mostly 25 watt tweed deluxes. They were great amps which I found worked well playing out in small to medium rooms. Unmiked on bigger stages though just not enough punch. I also owned one of his early tweed supers [5f4] which was a great amp and wey loud enough for unmiked truck back shows. The finest amp I ever owned bar none.

My favourite speakers in those amps were locally built Lorantz, a ceramic speaker built with the old paper recipes and cone presses used in the 50's and 60's at the Rola factory here in Richmond, melbourne. They just sung with these circuits somehow. I tried jensen alnicos and various others but couldn't get the tone I was after. Doubt you'll buy Lorantz over there.

I had 5f1's which were nice as well and the last one I imported was a 6g3 chocodawg. I had problems with trem tick on that one which I put down to the difference between USA power and what we have here in Australia. I had the earthing rewired by my local tech who managed to shut it right up and the Choco and I did many shows together. Fab sounding amp and crazy loud for 20 odd watts. Ideal club amp inmho and that trem is to die for.

Jim's amps left me with a desire to one day have another tweed deluxe but alas I doubt that will happen now - unless I build it myself

Jakeboy likes this.
  8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Now there's a fun thought... I really will have to ask about that.

deadbeat son likes this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

post deleted.

10. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Ditto. Seriously.

11. timmytVA

timmytVA Tele-Holic

Don't mean to hijack, but can you tell me more about this Bulldawg? Don't see it on his website.

Tim

12. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jim sent me his prototype BullDawg for a test ride and to make some clips....man, it sounded like an AC!

It had a Normal channel and a Top Boost channel. All 12ax7 based. What a chimey, jangly grinder! The edge of breakup tones were glorious...instant Petty tones....and a treble booster into the Normal side was classic rock bliss.

I need to sell something so I can buy one. I loved it.

13. timmytVA

timmytVA Tele-Holic

Cool. I found this on Jim's blog:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/ac15-lunchbox/

Doesn't appear under the "British Amps" section of the website yet.

Tim

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Stock circuit in a head and play with cabs.
    I had one driving a 15 and it was amazing but beamy.
    I'd love to try a 5E3 with a 4x10.
    Baby Bassman

15. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I'd be interested to see if he would do that. If not, Sara at Richter Amplification builds them that way.

16. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Don't forget to come back and let us know what you decide!

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I am certain he will make the 6v6 Bassman build...but knowing Jim, he will likely talk you into 5881s with an attenuator or have you get a 6v6 loaded ChocoDawg Brown Deluxe.

18. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I have a 12 watt D'Lux and it is perfect. May need to be miked for large venues. Cleans are full to Deluxe grind. Have fun, Wayne

vashondan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.