Suggestions for a buffered pedal?

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
My pedalboard currently consists of 6 true bypass pedals; no buffered pedals or stand-alone buffer. While I don't notice a big detriment to my tone, my tremolo pedal (Trelicoptor) requires a buffer in the chain or it makes an unbearable ticking noise. I currently have it set aside until I add a buffer. With stand-alone buffers costing as much as pedals, I see no reason not to just buy a buffered pedal.

This shouldn't be difficult, but I haven't found a buffered pedal that I have felt that I needed on my board yet. I've got drive pedals covered (fuzz, rat, OD, and dumble) and the tremolo and delay. Here are some buffered pedals that I have been considering:

TC Polytune 3- Seems logical, but I just don't tune that often.

Boss CS-3- Compressor seems like another nice-to-have utility pedal, but drive pedals already compress a bit. Don't know how much I would really use.

Boss GE-7- Another nice-to-have utility pedal. This is a strong contender, but not so glamorous for the cost. Hard to get excited about an EQ pedal...

Behringer Super Fuzz- I like fuzz a lot and will most likely buy this pedal at some point anyways. Is the buffer good enough though?

What other buffer pedals would make sense? I know that some MXR pedals have a buffered option (Sugar). Obviously, all Boss pedals. What do you think? Talk me into something, because I've unsuccessfully tried for 2 months...;)

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What do you mean you don't tune that often? I'm constantly tuning during gigs. Guitar goes out of tune as it warms up while you're playing it, and goes out of tune again when you put it down between sets because it gets cold.

I've got a TU-3S at the beginning of my chain, and a JHS Little Black Box in front of my volume pedal, which is after all of my drives and before my delay and reverb.

It seems like the TC BonaFide is one of the cheapest standalones. I'd just step up to a tuner pedal for a few more dollars.

I personally hate the true bypass trend. Every circuit has a different input and out impedance. That's what really causes problems. It can cause unpredictable changes volume, or worse, as different combinations of pedals are enabled or bypassed.

Last edited:

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
What do you mean you don't tune that often? I'm constantly tuning during gigs. Guitar goes out of tune as it warms up while you're playing it, and goes put of tune again when you put it down between sets because it gets cold.
I might tune once per month if I think about it. :lol: I just play by myself, I'm not that good, and my ears aren't that sensitive to a guitar that is a bit flat. I also have some guitars tuned to E standard and some in E flat that I'll play interchangeably. I don't even notice.

Maybe since my guitars are always in the same climate controlled room, tuning is pretty stable? They might be 1/4 step flat after a month; usually consistent from string to string.

If I tuned more, the Polytune would be a no-brainer. I think that it is currently cheaper than the stand-alone Bona Fide buffer.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have one of these. It’s all I need.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’m sure Saturn Works makes a smalle buffer to add at the end. Get a Boss I think they are all buffered. Tuner up front or EQ wherever.

KC

Poster Extraordinaire
I put a Cali76 second in the chain, after the tuner but before a Timmy, a Flint and a Lovepedal EP-3 delay, and everything's perfectly well-behaved. Not the cheapest way to go but a really nice compressor anyway.

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
With stand-alone buffers costing as much as pedals, I see no reason not to just buy a buffered pedal.
Two reasons, space saving and you can place it wherever you want in your pedal line.

For example this one has a switch to adapt to different pickups/tones. Anasound Bumper https://anasounds.com/products/origins-pedals/bumper/
I have not used it, I have the opposite problem, can’t get rid of all of those nice buffered pedals, tuner boss TU-2, Tube screamer (Maxon OD-808), looper (Boss RC-3), there is alway one at least on my pedalboard.

I have the Boss CS-3 but can’t find a use for it, except to add noise.

The guy from Anasound made a nice video (in french sorry!) showing how too many bypassed pedals can affect the tone negatively, and too many buffers too, so now I reckon it may be good to have one or two buffered pedals on your board.

I’ll translate for you, sort of: 9 minutes of stupid jokes and very interesting comments on the tech. Jump to 9.35 clean sound direct to amp, then six true bypass pedals (off), then six buffers. The 6 true bypass kills the highs and the six buffers kill the low end and sound weird.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
You might want to consider going about it in a slightly different way. You don't necessarily need a buffer to accomplish what a buffer would accomplish. You could simply place a clean boost at the end of your chain, something that you generally like the sound of, using it as an always on pedal with the gain set to unity or just above unity. If there's a clean boost type pedal you really like the character of you might find this is a better sounding and more versatile option.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
My pedalboard currently consists of 6 true bypass pedals; no buffered pedals or stand-alone buffer. While I don't notice a big detriment to my tone, my tremolo pedal (Trelicoptor) requires a buffer in the chain or it makes an unbearable ticking noise. I currently have it set aside until I add a buffer. With stand-alone buffers costing as much as pedals, I see no reason not to just buy a buffered pedal.

This shouldn't be difficult, but I haven't found a buffered pedal that I have felt that I needed on my board yet. I've got drive pedals covered (fuzz, rat, OD, and dumble) and the tremolo and delay. Here are some buffered pedals that I have been considering:

TC Polytune 3- Seems logical, but I just don't tune that often.

Boss CS-3- Compressor seems like another nice-to-have utility pedal, but drive pedals already compress a bit. Don't know how much I would really use.

Boss GE-7- Another nice-to-have utility pedal. This is a strong contender, but not so glamorous for the cost. Hard to get excited about an EQ pedal...

Behringer Super Fuzz- I like fuzz a lot and will most likely buy this pedal at some point anyways. Is the buffer good enough though?

What other buffer pedals would make sense? I know that some MXR pedals have a buffered option (Sugar). Obviously, all Boss pedals. What do you think? Talk me into something, because I've unsuccessfully tried for 2 months...;)
I have always been a vocal proponent of the Behringer Super Fuzz and so far nothing has changed!
So... grab the SF300(it's almost free anyway) since you've been leaning that way, and find out for yourself if
the buffer is good enough.

Worst case: You come back to this thread for suggestions, but now you've got an awesome fuzz pedal to boot.

Best case: Your buffer requirement is resolved and you've got an awesome fuzz pedal to boot.

Last edited:

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
TC Polytune 3

This.....I was having trouble with signal loss/dull sound with only about 5 true bypass pedals.
Got this to replace my previous tuner (which was also true bypass).
Instantly fixed the sound quality.....and it's a good tuner that's easy to see, use in different modes.

Frontier9

Friend of Leo's
One more vote for the unglamorous tuner. You should learn what being in tune sounds like if you ever want to play with other musicians or if you are planning to record. Your ears will become trained, even if they aren't quite there yet.