Suggestions for a 5E3 style amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by High Head Brad, Jan 21, 2019.

1. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Hi guys

My head is currently spinning trying to decide on a 5E3 or similar style tweed amp. Both of my current amps are in the tweed genre and its definitely ‘my sound’.

I have a 5F8-A clone made by an Australian company called Lucas Miles. Its fantastic quality and sounds devine......however its bloody heavy so not the most practical amp to grab for a jam. My other amp is a 1953 Supro Comet (5W) which also sounds great but obviously not loud enough for playing with others.

So I feel like something in the 15W range would fill this hole in my amp arsenal. I dont need loads of headroom as I dont particularly want pristine cleans. I like some hair on my ‘clean’ tone and then a boost or 2 for higher gain.

i am familiar with most of the brands that make 5E3’s and have previously owned a Tungsten Cortez which was a good amp. I should note that I am not limiting myself to a 5E3 replica but definitely want something in that vein.

The current favourite is the Louis Electric HD12. The demo’s all sound fantastic and the output sounds about right. Only downside is the price.

Goodsell’s 5E3 in a Princeton is another interesting option and a bit cheaper. No I demo’s available unfortunately but I do know a guy in the states who had this amp and loved it.

I also liked the demo’s for the Lil Dawg D-Lux. Victoria are out of my price range and I’d like to try something different from the Tungsten this time around.

As you may have gathered from above, i’m in Australia so 240V, shipping costs and import taxes are all considerations.

Ultimately I want something that is high quality but also good value for money. I’d love to hear any experiences with the above options Or have I missed something i should be looking at (being mindful that I am already confused by the current options).

snottyboy likes this.
  2. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Li'l Dawg D-Lux. Get Jim to put in the bigger OT and you can run 6L6s if you like. Honestly, I prefer the 6V6s but it's nice to have the option. Best customer service out there.

Dukex and High Head Brad like this.
  3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Are you at all interested in DIY? You can build exactly what you want.

4. High Head Brad

I had considered building a kit but ive decided against that idea

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have one of Jim's D-Lux heads. I'm a big fan.

Vintage Sound amps is another good builder.

Headstrong has a great reputation also.

6. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'll add my vote for lil Dawg. I have a Deluxe and a Wonder Dawg and would not hesitate to buy another amp from Jim.

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I'll third the vote for Lil Dawg. Mine is the Dlux. Bigger Xformers. Can take 6L6, but I much prefer it with 6v6. Now has a 15" emi 151 speaker in a custom Mather cab. This amp is a seriously loud and toneful thing. Bigger sounding than any other tweed deluxe type I've tried.

6stringcowboy and Dukex like this.
  8. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I'm weighing tweed options as well, but in no hurry to jump in as I have plenty to keep me inspired. The only ballpark tweed experience I have is with a Tungsten Buckwheat, which was very good. Per your mention, I am also heavily intrigued with the tweed variations that Richard Goodsell has worked up. I have an original Superseventeen head that is an absolute knock out! I am betting his tweeds are fantastic as well. Probably no better bang for the buck, either. Only wish there were a couple demos in circulation. All the best in your tweed search, OP! Follow up here with the results.

High Head Brad likes this.
  9. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

10. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

Actually, I think they're made in South Carolina - Myrtle Beach, to be specific.

11. High Head Brad

Thanks to Dukex for reminding about Headstrong. I contacted Wayne and he was very cool and generous and I was preparing myself to order from him.

However on a whim I decided to ask Dean from Lucas Miles whether he would make a 5E3 and he agreed to do it....... its been on his radar in the 2 years I’ve been a customer. So that’s what I am going with. Being a local company I will save considerable money in shipping and import taxes and based on my experience with LM amps they are absolutely top drawer. Being a small family company from Australia they are very much under the radar.

12. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

I bought one in South Carolina from a fellow who was a partner to Jesse Hoff (friend from Myrtle Beach). He made the cabinets and Jesse put together the parts. Jesse also allowed him to copy his design and sell them in South Carolina. The ones from South Carolina are essentially the same as the Lazy J 20 (British ones) but are sold under the name Digger T.

Junior Little likes this.
  13. Junior Little

Deleted duplicate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. Junior Little

Didn't know that...the phone number on the website is a Myrtle Beach number.

15. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Chicken.

;)

High Head Brad and Junior Little like this.
  16. High Head Brad

Yep, I cant deny it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.