Suggestions about non-working Analogman Prince of Tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RoscoeElegante, Sep 22, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Fine pedal, indeed.

Suddenly stopped working some time ago now (been too busy to deal w/ it).

One night it was working just fine. Next day, nada. Light won't come on, no sound, truly nada. Past warranty, of course.

Never been treated harshly. I think I clicked it on with my fingers each time. Never been gigged, had anything spilled on it, been dropped, called a bad name.

I emailed Analogman and they said mail it in and they "maybe" can fix it for a fee. But since I'm pretty broke and don't need it (I've learned that I prefer my break-up from the amp or via my since-acquired Joyo American Sound pedal), I'm thinking of just selling it as-is.

Your advice?

Get it fixed then sell it, or sell it as-is?

If the former, what kind of $ might Analogman charge me to fix it, and then what % of that (plus the shipping) can I recoup by selling it?

If the latter, what's a handsome, non-working Prince of Tone going for these days?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What a curious thread.

Why not ask Analogman what they would charge and check Reverb and eBay for your other questions?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    artdecade and brbadg like this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Honestly, cost depends on what’s wrong with it. If it isn’t getting power, and the power source is good, I’d start looking at the 9v dc input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Find someone who can work on pedals and have them look at it? Isn't it basically a Marshall Bluesbreaker OD? Shouldn't be too hard to diagnose for someone who builds / repairs pedals.
    Then again, checking completed sales for used POT pedals on eBay, recently they range from $132 -$209.
    So less for non working.

5. RoscoeElegante

Analogman said charge would be "It depends." I haven't seen any non-working Prince of Tone on Reverb or eBay. Hence the (pretty sensible, I think) questions. Someone in TDPRI land might have dealt with a similar situation, right?

6. RoscoeElegante

Thanks. But I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere, tech-wise. How does one go about finding a pedal fixer? The nearest guitar tech doesn't do that. We've got a massive tech-centered university right in town, but I'm reluctant to beacon in possible nut cases/junkies eager to snatch gear. (Big drug problem around here.)

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe pedal building forums perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

If you can afford it, send it into Analogman and just get it fixed. Then if you sell it, you sell it. It's probably not going to cost a whole lot to get it fixed. And selling it broke...what, are you gonna get $50 for it, when you could get $150-200 for it?

Bopcat, uriah1 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  9. RoscoeElegante

Thanks. Was dreading they might charge me a big chunk of what it's worth, making the whole effort worth the $50 just to be done with it, instead. Do you know what companies' ranges are for fixing pedals? E.g., a bench-time baseline+ that might make sending it to Analogman not worth it?

10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Shoot, I'll buy it for $50 right now. Not kidding. Paid via paypal for merchandise to protect myself.

To answer your question, I would think that AM wouldn't charge more than $50 to repair. Of course, you'll have to ship it there and figure out shpping back.

RoscoeElegante and uriah1 like this.
  11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Have you tried a battery vs. external power, or vice-versa?

It sounds to me like the most likely culprits would be either the power jack or the input jack, which establishes ground through the circuit, when a jack is inserted into the input.

It's actually a good thing that the status LED does not come on, as this probably rules out a malfunction somewhere within the PCB itself.

I'd start by double-checking if it will power up with either a fresh, new battery, or maybe even a different external power source.

You might be able to visually see if there's an issue with the input jack:

[​IMG]

...It would be an issue with the two upper "metal fingers" for the jack on the left-hand side. They basically will "switch closed" to allow a ground connection through them.

MDent77, RoscoeElegante and uriah1 like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya, mine will power off if connector wiggles or pops out.
    Like it, but, I think it is made overseas whereas
    the KOT is made local.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I know almost nothing about electrical stuff, but I have a soldering iron and I’d sure open it up and wiggle some wires around before I spent any money...

14. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

To be honest that should be easy to fix - no surface-mount components, nice clear labelled pcb, simple circuit.
    I know that's not helpful if you're not that way inclined, but an electronics student/hobbyist should be able to sort it out. The schematic diagram would help, and it's out on the web.

@jimilee has a good suggestion for checking the pedal forums. Quite often a search on DIYStompbox or TagboardFX will bring up similar problems/fixes.

Otherwise you're paying Analogman for his time, maybe an hour or two at whatever his rate is. DIY is the answer !

15. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

First thing I’d do is open it up and have a look and a smell. Does anything look or smell burnt? Then I’d change or install a 9v battery. The light not coming on suggests no power. Why isn’t it getting power? Did something come unsoldered? Unplugged? You could have had it open and probably fixed in the time it took to start this thread.

16. RoscoeElegante

Hi, tele_pathic. Lemme (very gently) try the fixes other posters have recommended first. If it still isn't working, I'll PM you.

17. RoscoeElegante

I did try a 9v, and it doesn't smell with the back/bottom still on. Will check further, though....

18. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

I get in just to throw my 2 cent:
    a) You say no light and no sound but does the signal get through the pedal when in bypass? If it doesn't it can be a faulty stomp switch.
    b) If the switch is good, the probably (since you have no sound and no led) you really should try cheking the circuit, from the power plug, with a multimeter, if you're lucky you will find a place where voltage stops.

RoscoeElegante and uriah1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.