Suggestion Request from you Builders/Assemblers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Sep 18, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm putting my first partscaster together from "never-before-used" parts. I've changed out necks, bridges, pickups, etc......but this is the first time NOTHING has been fitted first. The body I'm using does have pickup and control plate routing, (this IS a Telecaster, of course) but no bridge or string-through pre-drilled holes. I am using a Wilkinson top-load bridge, so string-through doesn't matter. Where I'm a little hesitant, is the exact location for the bridge. After thinking it over, I'm considering mounting the neck (which hasn't arrived from Warmoth yet) and then measuring off the nut for string length, (to saddles) using actual cotton string to determine "E" string spacing (both E strings) on neck, and then screwing down bridge. Another issue is that I'm using a "left-handed" bridge, so the bridge pickup is slanted differently, and I'm gonna have to route some on the body for the pickup, but I can deal with that. And yes.....I changed out the compensated brass saddles for right-handed ones. So, my question is the "order of operation" on the neck and bridge mounting. Am I doing this right? Or am I overlooking something? Thanks for suggestions.

trev333 likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

about here..;)..... I set the saddles where they sit foreward on the plate and measure to the fine E saddle from the nut.. or half that to the 12th fret...(as shown here)..

I use hat elastic pulled nice and tight to align the E's on the neck... and small pickguard screws to set it up centre..when you're happy with the location you can drill for the larger screws...

good luck....

tele bridge placement.jpg

tele bridge elastic2.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

So, you're saying go ahead and mount neck, THEN find location for bridge? That's basically what I thought.....THEN I'll put down pickguard and control plate, right?
    I hate to sound like a complete doofus, but sometimes you guys with experience have caught little mistakes I might make. ;)

4. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I also strongly suggest joining the unofficial Warmoth forum as there are a lot of very experienced builders there who can also assist with any questions, and posting questions there as well.
    They have been immensely helpful for me on my two builds.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah fit the neck, put a straight edge along the sides and mark those on tape on the butt... find the true centre of the neck line..and go from there....

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

What everyone said.

In addition, check the neck pocket dimensions, especially the depth. It should be a straight fit for your heel, with no break angle.

As far as the position of the bridge goes, I feel like if you can measure the distance reliably from a Tele blueprint. Centering works with string, tape, or straight edge.

If you want to approach positioning individually to your new instrument, measure the 1/2 scale length from 12th fret, positioning your bridge accordingly. Then, push it further away from the nut by 1/8 of an inch. That is the most precise method I know.

Alternatively, you could use a tail piece (or fashion some such device) attaches to a piece of wood placed at the back of your body. I usually use the leftover lumber from cutting the bodies, so it sits nicely against the body. You could probably use a piece of straight lumber, shim with erasers, and temporarily string from it in a horizontal position and intonate. That will give you a perfect bridge position.

This being said, Tele bridges are easy to place. You don’t need the intonation method.

Pay most attention to fret prep!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Use this as a reference.

Attached Files:

POS Guitars and nojazzhere like this.
  8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I was going to suggest this drawing from Terry Downs, a real treasure.

You need to take your time, make mesurements, and draw a few lines to see if your tele body is well dimensioned compared to the drawing.

Find the centerline of the body.

Then dry mount the neck without screws and see if it is correctly aligned with the centerline. It may happen unfortunately that the neck pocket is way off, and you would like to take care of that first.

If the neck is reasonably aligned, then use the method with elastic and measure to find the location of the bridge. Hopefully it is the same as that of the drawing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.