Suggestion for Audio Interfaces for iPad

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by htloren, Sep 23, 2021.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi All,

I hope that this is the proper place to ask my question?

Can anyone recommend an iPad friendly audio interface with it’s own interface for controlling it’s internal features? I am considering a MOTU Ultralite MK5 (Cuemix 5) or Steinberg UR RT4 (DSPMixFx).

Other options?

Thanks!
    Loren

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're recording one or two tracks, the Behringer UM2 is hard to beat. It's small, simple, inexpensive, and works really well. I've used one for a few years with my iPad; no complaints from me.

htloren likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    You will need a USB audio class compliant interface and understand the interface’s power requirement. The iPad will not provide power for the interface without a power / data adaptor. It can become a nest of wires.

what model / age of ipad?

The Steinberg looks a nice unit with its own PSU.

htloren likes this.
  4. Seafoamgreen

Seafoamgreen TDPRI Member

A related question for audio interfaces — how much is latency affected by the interface vs the software (and the iPad) used?

Asking because I've got an iRight HD 2 from a few years back, going into a recent-ish (2019?) iPad. I can definitely tell that the modeling software used affects latency — some to the point where it's effectively unusable. But I can't tell if there's a baseline level I'm inheriting based on the interface, and how much variance there is amongst interfaces.

The broader takeaway, if maybe obvious: watch out for latency problems.

htloren likes this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Try an Apogee Jam 96. Works for any DAW.

htloren likes this.
  6. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I had an Apogee Jam so many years ago. Surprised to see how high end they have become! The Symphony looks real nice!

Hi Seafoamgreen. I have been using the Scarlett 18i8 with the iPad Pro 10.5. No latency issues for me so far. Will definitely keep an eye out for it when choosing.

Have a friend who is getting me into an RME Babyface Pro FS. Will be checking it out next Saturday. Looks like it may be it. He will demo it for me and even set up my system (PC laptop) if I get it from him. Anybody with any stories or experience, good or bad with the RME?

Loren

7. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi Guitarteach! I use an iPad Pro 10.5. Love it :) Thanks for the suggestions!

8. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pete Johns has many tutorials and information on this subject, concise and regularly updated. A lot of help here for choosing iPad interfaces, connecting them and recordung with them ... this kind of thing

9. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi all,

Just wanted to update. I ended up with a Babyface Pro FS interface. Love it!

I initially got it to get an interface for my iPad. Totalmix FX is the RME app on the iPad to control the Babyface. Love the flexibility and control! Totalmix FX works on the iPad, PC and Mac too. Also has a working iPad remote!

Thanks to all for their suggestions!

Loren

10. ricardotores

ricardotores TDPRI Member

Thanks for this solution!

11. ricardotores

ricardotores TDPRI Member

The final benefit to custom software development by Syndicode being concerned with the amount of time it takes to develop your app. You should ensure that the team you are engaging in the process of developing your app is able to deliver software solutions that are designed with your business needs in mind. You should also ensure that these developers can provide you with the time frame necessary for your project to be completed. This means that you need to work with developers who can meet your deadlines and provide you with a product that will meet your goals and objectives moving forward. Developing custom software development solutions that are able to meet your needs over the long run is vital. The right development can make your business more efficient and reduce costs. The right development will also allow you to improve the effectiveness of processes and better support your business processes moving forward. These developers can offer you solutions that will improve your processes and increase your competitiveness in the market place. These developers can also work with you to ensure that your app is easy to use and has been designed with your business processes in mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.