Suggestion for Audio Interfaces for iPad

htloren

Tele-Meister
Hi All,

I hope that this is the proper place to ask my question?

Can anyone recommend an iPad friendly audio interface with it’s own interface for controlling it’s internal features? I am considering a MOTU Ultralite MK5 (Cuemix 5) or Steinberg UR RT4 (DSPMixFx).

Other options?

Thanks!
Loren

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Hi All,

I hope that this is the proper place to ask my question?

Can anyone recommend an iPad friendly audio interface with it’s own interface for controlling it’s internal features? I am considering a MOTU Ultralite MK5 (Cuemix 5) or Steinberg UR RT4 (DSPMixFx).

Other options?

Thanks!
Loren

If you're recording one or two tracks, the Behringer UM2 is hard to beat. It's small, simple, inexpensive, and works really well. I've used one for a few years with my iPad; no complaints from me.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
You will need a USB audio class compliant interface and understand the interface’s power requirement. The iPad will not provide power for the interface without a power / data adaptor. It can become a nest of wires.

what model / age of ipad?

The Steinberg looks a nice unit with its own PSU.

Seafoamgreen

TDPRI Member
A related question for audio interfaces — how much is latency affected by the interface vs the software (and the iPad) used?

Asking because I've got an iRight HD 2 from a few years back, going into a recent-ish (2019?) iPad. I can definitely tell that the modeling software used affects latency — some to the point where it's effectively unusable. But I can't tell if there's a baseline level I'm inheriting based on the interface, and how much variance there is amongst interfaces.

The broader takeaway, if maybe obvious: watch out for latency problems.

htloren

Tele-Meister
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I had an Apogee Jam so many years ago. Surprised to see how high end they have become! The Symphony looks real nice!

Hi Seafoamgreen. I have been using the Scarlett 18i8 with the iPad Pro 10.5. No latency issues for me so far. Will definitely keep an eye out for it when choosing.

Have a friend who is getting me into an RME Babyface Pro FS. Will be checking it out next Saturday. Looks like it may be it. He will demo it for me and even set up my system (PC laptop) if I get it from him. Anybody with any stories or experience, good or bad with the RME?

Loren

htloren

Tele-Meister
You will need a USB audio class compliant interface and understand the interface’s power requirement. The iPad will not provide power for the interface without a power / data adaptor. It can become a nest of wires.

what model / age of ipad?

The Steinberg looks a nice unit with its own PSU.

Hi Guitarteach! I use an iPad Pro 10.5. Love it :) Thanks for the suggestions!

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Pete Johns has many tutorials and information on this subject, concise and regularly updated. A lot of help here for choosing iPad interfaces, connecting them and recordung with them ... this kind of thing

htloren

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

Just wanted to update. I ended up with a Babyface Pro FS interface. Love it!

I initially got it to get an interface for my iPad. Totalmix FX is the RME app on the iPad to control the Babyface. Love the flexibility and control! Totalmix FX works on the iPad, PC and Mac too. Also has a working iPad remote!

Thanks to all for their suggestions!

Loren