1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggestion: Add a "Free stuff" section

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Ron C, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Not a forum problem but a suggestion: I posted this thread in Bad Dog Cafe about adding something like a Freecycle.org section to TDPRI and it's gotten some enthusiastic responses so far. TDPRI member @archetype suggested that I post the idea here, and also that Squier Talk has a Free to A Good Home section like what we're proposing.

The premise is that many of us tinkerers have guitar parts and accessories that are taking up space, and we would gladly get rid of, but that just aren't valuable enough to warrant selling. We'd be happy to send those items off to a TDPRI member who would just reimburse us for shipping.

Stuff like the 20 used pots of various values that I no longer needed. I sent them to member @dfab along with a switch tip he needed; he sent me PayPal payment for the shipping cost + enough to buy me coffee. Better than tossing them, he gets a bargain and we made a connection.

Other members said they'd gladly give away new picks and used pedals if the recipient paid for shipping.

It would be great if there was a Wanted function, too, for small stuff (screws, resistors, etc.)

Thanks for reviewing.

Danb541 likes this.
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Great idea, I have 25 years worth of stuff, necks, bodies, pickups, pots, switches, tuners, caps, bridges, pick guards.... I'm obviously not in to giving away anything valuable but I have a lot of stuff I'd pass along to someone in need.

Dismalhead and Ron C like this.
  3. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

As a recent recipient of dozens of free picks (Thanks again @David Meiland)
    I think it's a great idea.

I definitely have some goodies I could throw into the ring.

David Meiland and Ron C like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I agree that this would be great (because I’m downsizing and finding stuff I forgot).

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Beat me too it, as I was just coming here to post the same question.

Over on Squier-Talk there is a Free To A Good Home section in the classifieds and it gets quite a bit of action. Folks give away unwanted parts and gear quite successfully. I've given and gotten multiple times. One guy sourced various free items this way, combined them with his own parts, and built a good partscaster that he gave away on the forum.

Please create a Free classifieds section. I've yet to see any downside to this.

The Example:
    https://www.squier-talk.com/forums/free-to-a-good-home.37/

6. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I just gave away a Epi Les Paul jr to a great 12 year old kid. I never played it and it was a great little guitar. I sold a Mexican Duo Sonic to him and his dad and the kid was really into the guitar and could play a few rock classics. As they were leaving I asked him if he wanted the Epiphone and he and his dad almost pooped their pants. That was one happy kid and I don’t have to try to sell it for the $70 bucks I had into it. There’s some pedals that are collecting dust in my man cave that I would gladly give away!

Telekarster likes this.
  7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Holic

That was way cool of you, man. He will remember you and your kindness for the rest of his life! Awesome. I was on the beach once and found an awesome counch shell that I had planned to keep for myself. Then, I saw this family that were obviously on vacation and they had a 5 year old boy that reminded me of... well... me! LOL! I walked over and gave it to him instead cause I wanted him to have a really nice token to remember his trip by, and his eyes nearly popped out! :) The joy I had in seeing his reaction, and his parents reactions, I will remember for the rest of my life ;)

8. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Has this happened as suggested?

Or isn’t it at least possible to do this in the classified ads already, just with a price set at a low enough point just to cover the shipping and trouble?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.