Suggested pickup to upgrade a Squier telecaster ?

Telemiser1

TDPRI Member
I have a traditional telecaster setup with the 2 single coil pickups. I have a fender MIM telecaster with the Nashville setup with noiseless pickups that I like.

Can anyone suggest comparable pickups that would be cheaper. And even your preference for a upgrade to a Squier telecaster that I love and plays and sounds great. The pots need replaced and the toggle switch cuts out. So I want to upgrade all of that.

Thanks appreciate your thoughts

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Unclear what you are asking. If the Squier "sounds great", replace the toggle switch and pots as necessary - or perhaps with a custom loaded plate. I would leave the pickups alone unless you are just looking to spend money. It is hard to improve on "great".

Telemiser1

TDPRI Member
Unclear what you are asking. If the Squier "sounds great", replace the toggle switch and pots as necessary - or perhaps with a custom loaded plate. I would leave the pickups alone unless you are just looking to spend money. It is hard to improve on "great".
Appreciate the input. I should probably change out the pots and switch before making that decision. When I mentioned changing them out I was comparing the sound to the noiseless ones and thinking acoustically it sounds great.

Thanks again

DiamondDave

TDPRI Member
I have a traditional telecaster setup with the 2 single coil pickups. I have a fender MIM telecaster with the Nashville setup with noiseless pickups that I like.

Can anyone suggest comparable pickups that would be cheaper. And even your preference for a upgrade to a Squier telecaster that I love and plays and sounds great. The pots need replaced and the toggle switch cuts out. So I want to upgrade all of that.

Thanks appreciate your thoughts
Yes, I do this on a regular basis. For example... I bought a 2018 Squier Bullet Telecaster - a dandy little guitar. I replaced the pickups with Genuine Fender PURE VINTAGE 64 tele Pickups. I replaced the tuners with Genuine Fender AMERICAN STANDARD 6 in a line Tuners. I replaced the faulty Selector Switch with a new Fender CRL 3 way switch. I also replaced the cheap jack with a good American made Switchcraft Jack and replaced the wobbly Jack Cup with a brand new Electro Socket. I felt no need to replace the pots as the resulting guitar is now my no. 1 gigging instrument as is.

Telemiser1

TDPRI Member
Yes, I do this on a regular basis. For example... I bought a 2018 Squier Bullet Telecaster - a dandy little guitar. I replaced the pickups with Genuine Fender PURE VINTAGE 64 tele Pickups. I replaced the tuners with Genuine Fender AMERICAN STANDARD 6 in a line Tuners. I replaced the faulty Selector Switch with a new Fender CRL 3 way switch. I also replaced the cheap jack with a good American made Switchcraft Jack and replaced the wobbly Jack Cup with a brand new Electro Socket. I felt no need to replace the pots as the resulting guitar is now my no. 1 gigging instrument as is.
Thanks I was looking at the pure vintage 64 pickups. Glad to hear their a good choice. Thanks for the other referrals as well. That's where I was originally leaning

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have an affinity LH I loved the pick ups great sounding ( at least what I want a tele to sound like ) I did replace the alphs pots with CTS, the chicklet cap with an orange drop, the cheap switch with a fender replacement (3Way) the jack with a switchcraft, and ant cheap wiringwith gibson pull back wire..........
made no difference to the sound , set up, feel, or playability at all ,I'm just a snob when it comes to cheap parts ,
Either I lucked out or I got the golden ticket!

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Do the switch, cap and the pots first. See what happens there. Probably the least expensive.

The PV's get a lot of love here. So do Bootstraps and Cavaliers. There will be no end to suggestions.

Sometimes making too many changes all at once leads to not know which change created the most difference.

Good luck, have fun!

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Sometimes making too many changes all at once leads to not know which change created the most difference.
This are the voices of the wise.

The world is your oyster. What do you hear in your head? So many affordable pickups out. Listen to good quality demos through a variety of playing styles. Grab guitars off the wall at your local store. Play your friends rigs. Adjust your pickup height. You get the idea.

Wilde Keystones or any of Bill's offerings are affordable new, as are Bootstraps. Check the classifieds section here. Used can be had for a good price.

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
I tried a first experiment and I like it so much I'm not going further.

I pulled the neck pickup out and just stuck 6 of those little sonicare toothbrush magnets to the back of the ceramic magnet. I probably should dab some superglue on them to keep them from moving.

The gauss on the face of the pickup went from about 200 gauss to 250 so I put it back together and listened to it.

It added a teensy bit of clarity on the high end and that is probably about as much improvement as I could expect. I like the sound, though.
It's a subtle sound change, but certainly a low impact reversible mod.
From a post I put up May 17, 2021.
Might be relevant.