Suggest Some 12 Bar Blues Songs That Are Good Practice

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by castpolymer, Sep 5, 2012.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Played with a gent this weekend and really enjoyed playing a bit of 12 bar blues with him. Seeing how he was able to improvise around my playing really got me fired up to " bulk up " my repertoire. I have always found it easier to practice when I am playing full songs, so I am looking for suggestions for 12 bar blues songs that are great for practice. Help a hack out!

2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog TDPRI Member

I've been interested recently too. The guy who runs my kids music school showed me Jimmy Reed's "Get Some Insurance". Very old blues. Great little tune to add to your repertoire.

3. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

B.B King - Rock Me Baby
    Any Status Quo :lol:
    Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man
    T-Bone Walker - Stormy Monday - or any Stormy Monday.
    SRV - Pride & Joy
    Any Sweet Home Chicago

All the best Cast!

4. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Butterfield's Born in Chicago has a riff that gets you out of strumming chords all the time.

D.H.

5. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

Texas flood - SRV

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned most of the blues I know from this album.

[​IMG]

My Mom was a huge blues freak and she bought it for me and said learn this music.

At the time I was playing Creedence Hendrix and Zep. SHe said learn the blues cause everyone gets the blues.

7. willie.g

willie.g TDPRI Member

8. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

9. DaddyDog

DaddyDog TDPRI Member

Correction "Take Out Some Insurance"

10. Jipes

Jipes Tele-Meister

Robert Cray: Phone Booth
    Albert King: I'll play the Blues for you, Cadillac Assembly Line, The Hunter
    Lucky Peterson: Your good things are about to run out
    Howlin' Wolf: Who's been Talking
    Jimmy Reed: Hush, Hush, You got me Runnin', Big Boss Man

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Have you ever loved a woman
    Rambling on my mind
    Crossroads
    Red house

12. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I've been jamming with the same guys for a long time, and three of the favorites are "Key to the Highway," "Born Under a Bad Sign," and "Strange Brew." Each is a three chord goodie, and each has a different tempo and feel, so they're perfect for jamming.

13. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Eric Clapton - Sweet Home Chicago
    BB King - Let the Good Times Roll
    Hendrix - Red House

14. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton
    Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman

15. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Key to the Highway is a 8 bar blues. Good song to learn that form.

16. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Try some Freddy King instrumentals. Things like 'Manhole', 'Onion Rings', 'Driving Sideways', and 'Side Tracked' have a structure, a cool riff, and room to jam.
    More challenging ones like 'The Stumble' or 'Remington's Ride' would be great to work on, it will improve your playing. Good Luck!

17. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Two words: Albert King

I also agree with Freddie King instrumentals above

18. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Just stick on the Clapton/Bluesbreakers album and jam to the whole thing.

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

One of the interesting things about 12-bar blues is the way that the melody relates to the chords. Almost universally and across centuries, the metrically prominent notes of the melody are chord tones. Melodic variation and embellishment can sometimes contradict the previous sentence, which is what gives music its depth and richness. But I can't think of any other kind of music that does what a 12-bar blues does in bars 5-8. When a blues song uses the call and response structure of work songs and field hollers, here is what happens. In bars 1-4, the chord is the tonic, usually a dominant seventh type. In C, this would be C7. In a blues song, the prominent melodic notes emphasize the notes of the C7 chord, C E G Bb. In bars 5-8, the chord changes to F7 = F A C Eb. In non-blues music, the melody would emphasize those chord tones. But if the song uses a call and response structure, one of two things can happen. One, the melodic notes are modified to fit the F7 chord. Or, two, the melody from bars 1-4 is repeated note-for-note in bars 5-8. Without getting too detailed, let's just say that some of those notes do not agree with the F7 chord.

In classical music, having melodic notes that are dissonant with the underlying chords is not uncommon at all. I once heard a conference paper describe how the only kind of music that has no such agreement between melody and chords is nursery rhyme songs. What makes the 12-bar blues an interesting thing to study is that for an entire 4 bars the melodic notes do not all agree with the underlying chord.

A side issue is that the minor third, Eb, is often used in the melody over the C7 chord, which has a major third, E natural. This is also unique to blues, in my experience.

I should make it clear that the only music I know anything about it is European and American classical, and a whole slew of pop songs from the past 100 years. I often find that other non-western music traditions have some very interesting differences.

Anyway, I am very much captivated by the 12-bar blues form and have been since I was 9 years old. I bought a boogie-woogie piano book and found that I could take a left hand pattern from a song in F and transpose that pattern for a song in D. I could also add or subtract notes from the left hand that didn't ruin the song. I could also change the rhythm and change the order of the notes.

I made some recordings of a live band in a studio playing 12-bar blues in different keys and styles. Some of those can be found in the YouTube link posted above: Youtube 12-bar Blues Backing Tracks .

20. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Wow Larry,

I imagine 12 bar blues / boogie was never 'meant' to be de/reconstructed in such a way, and at first glance, I admit I baulked at your summary.
    I'm glad I read it.

The call & response thing - I'd never actually thought of the origin TBH (is that woeful? maybe being a Brit, I have less of a handle on it) - but now it seems naturally 'obvious'.

'picturing' that in my mind will quite possible help my phrasing and timing.
    I'll have to buy you a pint of warm flat Ale sometime ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.