Suggest for me a 'tick tack' bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by promagnum, May 16, 2011.

1. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

Like featured in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRljZYCFVs

Patsy Cline had this style a lot in her songs.

You can clearly hear it on the right channel here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6JpVmZb4bI

Maybe not a Fender Bass VI, but something similar.

I've been looking at Danelectro, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions as to other manufacturers? I'm looking for something very unique that isn't the norm.

2. Burnt Gerbil

Burnt Gerbil Tele-Meister

I think it's about the same thing (6-string, tuned down to A? I've only heard the expression a few times);

If so, there is such a thing as a Bajo Sexto telecaster. If you can find one, they're amazing. And I'm not just saying that because it's a telecaster forum. Incredible. I think they're a Fender Custom Shop deal, but you may be able to find a used one or something.

I don't own one personally, but I've been able to mess around with a really neat one. I plan to take pictures and stuff within the next week and post them here.

3. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

For Classic Nashville tones, twin pickup Danelectro tuned E-E - nothing else will get you exactly *that* tone. (except a Jerry Jones, but that's really pretty much a Dano)

4. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Here's my take on one....

One-piece dead-on-quarter Sitka Spruce body milled in 1957, with the routing done by the good folks at USACG...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fralin pups...

Warmoth neck...

Sounds great!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

5. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

unless im mistaken, "tick tack" is generally referred to as a style of playing where you are muting the bass stings of a guitar to provide a mock bass line. in other words, its primarily done on a guitar, as alluded to above with the reference to danelectro.

basically any electric guitar set to a staccato attack, will get you there. its the muted bass strings that create the "tick tack" sound(s).

rand z

7. WaylonFan76

I think what they meant by Danelectro is a 6 string bass, which is what most of them used. However, I have heard that Chet Atkins played tick tac guitar on Hank Williams records, I imagine with a regular guitar.

8. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

We started a thread about this a year or two ago and thought some of the old-timers might chime in with some clarification, but it kinda died. So far as I know it was usually done with either a baritone guitar tuned E to E or the 6-string Danelectro and Fender Bass VI.

I guess you could tune a modern 6-string bass up a bit to accomplish the same thing, but that seems a bit odd.

9. rjones652

rjones652 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

There is a certain something that the Dano offers for tick tack, but I think it has as much to do with the lack-of-resonance from the body as it does the pickup. While I don't have a Dano bass, I do have an ancient Alamo Titan that does a marvelous ticktack. Hollowbody and lame pickup allows for less muting and gives the note a more percussive attack/decay.

btw, Im probably totally wrong about this, just my 2cent

10. WaylonFan76

I have a Dano baritone and my friend has a Jerry Jones 6 string bass. Both do a pretty good job. Although for ease of use, I'd pick the 6 string bass tuned to E. You have to adapt everything to the baritone as it is usually tuned to B ( B,E,A,D,G,B ) or A.

11. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I think you're totally right. The Danelectro 6 string basses give you that combination of high end and low end with nothing in the middle that you need to get that sound. I've heard people try to do that with other basses and it doesn't get the sound.

12. rjones652

rjones652 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Hey toanwoods, that's a really nice piece of quartersawn you got there...the spirits of three unborn flattops run thru that thing. That should give you a nice lack'o'sustain for ticktack. Which Fralin pups? Appropriately Underwound, I hope!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  13. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Main problem I've found with the Dano Baritones is the Narrow string spacing at the Nut...Much too narrow for my likes with the Heavier gauge strings required.....YMMV

14. Bobb2

Bobb2 Tele-Meister

Six string bass tuned E-E. Most commonly a Danelectro. Fenders came along later. Electric baritone guitars(B-B tuning) are much newer not really showing up on the market until the late 70s(?). I believe the earliest "new" Danelectros had a six string bass in the catalog but it was quickly changed to a baritone to match the current fads....uh...market trend. :p

Fortunately, Dano baritones use the same 30" scale as the older six string bass so conversions should only involve the nut. Jerry Jones baritones have a 28" scale vs. 30" on their six string basses.

15. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Yes, baritones - and what they mean by that is something you're going to tune A-A, B-B, or C-C, the ones they sell as "six-string bass" are 30". (I have one)

Jerry Jones has gone out of business, btw.:(

16. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.