Suggest bridge pup form my 74 Telecaster Custom

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Wpaul63, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Wpaul63

Wpaul63 TDPRI Member

My 74 Telly Custom's WR neck picupk sounds insanely huge.
    Yuuge as in Massive.Bottom.End...

The original bridge pickup sounded sterile and anemic (maybe needs to be rewound, who knows?) so a couple of months ago I found a Fralin split blade Vintage Hot noiseless pickup.
    Better but still missing depth and punch to go with that beastly neck.

Any suggestions for a more muscular bridge p.up?

Thanks!

Paul

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Cavalier 51/52 or a Broadcaster type.

archetype, vhilts1 and Wpaul63 like this.
  3. Wpaul63

Wpaul63 TDPRI Member

OK - but are these punchy enough? It goes beyond the "nice" "vintage-accurate" tone. It is that PLUS output and beef.
    Thx
    P.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know but the original bridge pickup on my 1975 one was were I did 90% of my playing. Best bridge tone was there. I can't remember the names of them but yout could look to see what creamery pickups recommends to go with its WRH or Lollar recommends to go with his neck charlie christian

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Should be plenty punchy enough. Speak to Rob at Cavalier for advice. http://www.frettech.com/

nojazzhere and Wpaul63 like this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

On the one I built for my friend, it's ended up with a US Standard. Measures 7.5kohm, it's got a huge sound. Just got a copper clad plate fitted

Not a trad tone. Fairly middy.

Attached Files:

Wpaul63 likes this.
  7. Wpaul63

Wpaul63 TDPRI Member

Hmmm... Sounds interesting!

May I ask if you're a small builder with a shop, or is it more of a side gig you do for friends and bandmates? I.e. If I asked you to wind me a beefy telly bridge, could you do that?

Thx

P.

8. Dacious

Just a hobby. Not quite at pickup winding - yet. There's a few guys on the board who can though @Rob DiStefano knows his stuff and has great prices.

That Custom I built ten years ago and had it back to carve wood out of the body, and pot the WRHB so it didn't squeal with gain. I made the body, MIJ neck, original Fender WRHB and random 500k electrics.

Wpaul63 and vhilts1 like this.
  9. chickenmonkey

chickenmonkey TDPRI Member

I have a Novak TELE-HC in mine. It is on the vintage wind side but sounds great with the WRHB. It is also hum canceling so you end up with a hum free guitar. If I were to do it again I would ask him to bump it up a little bit and it would be great.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

for a standard tele bridge set up:

https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-pretzel-pups

Bootstrap gets very high marks from other members here - and the price can't be beat. The Pretzel version is wound hotter than their other tele sets and might be a good match.

I otherwise would recommend Fender's Texas Specials - but I don't see where you can buy just the bridge. I have a set in one of my telecasters and IMO, the Texas Specials will do what you are asking.

drmordo, whoanelly15 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Two suggestions:

1) "Massive bottom end" is as much caused by the pickup height adjustment as by the pickup only delivering one fixed amount of bottom end. Lower it under the wound strings to get balanced volume across the strings.
    And if you want your vintage Tele to stay as designed, maybe lower the neck pickup under both the high and the low E to balance against the bridge pickup.

2) around the mid '70s it seems like some of the Tele bridge pickups got particularly thin toned, but also the Tele got 1 meg pots around then too, which further thinned the tone, which is of course more of an issue with bridge tone.

If the bridge pickup is not already almost touching the high E string when fretted at the highest fret, raise it to withing a dimes thickness between magnet and high E.
    Then adjust the height under the low E lower so you get the same volume from the low E and the high E.

Once that's done, if the neck pickup is louder, it needs to be lowered until it's the same volume as the bridge pickup, and again the low E side will need to look lower than the high E side because the wound strings have more mass generating current in the coil(s).

Can you compare the bridge tone to another Tele?
    Could be the '70s pickup would benefit from a rewind for a fuller tone, or it could be the pots are making it too bright due to being 1 meg.
    I have I think a '75 Tele bridge pickup that's too bright and thin toned, plus has the shielded wire that Fender used there in the mid '70s. No fixing that without a rewind, but that will work and be cheaper than a new pickup, plus keep it stock.

Wpaul63 likes this.
  12. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

The older American Standard bridge pickups are surprisingly good.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another big "thumbs up" on the Bootstrap Pretzel bridge p/up. Don't let the $25-30 price fool you.....this pickup would cost five times that from some boutique shops. bootstrappickups.com Try 'em. ;)

Wpaul63 likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

DA906EB0-59F1-403F-AE74-5A6BA89F9C8E.jpeg 352A7453-DBFF-4E33-ADF5-ABFEB5080093.jpeg Here’s one of the mid ‘70s Tele bridge pickups with both thin tone and the shielded wire. Could be 78 I never scaled back the tape but it’s not 72.
    For the resistance it should be fatter than it sounds and I’d guess it might be wound with 43awg instead of 42 which would account for the thinner tone vs dcr.
    A rewind would make it great, I love the earlier 70s bridge pickups and use several in my Esquires.

Wpaul63 and teletimetx like this.
  15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I'm very much in love with my GFS Hot Lead Alnico Overwound.

That said, if I were to replace it, I'd have Bootstrap wind me a Nocaster spec bridge PU.

16. Dacious

That's been jiggered with - the tape is where the copper clad plate was.

17. telemnemonics

I took the plate off to use on a '71 pickup I bought for $20 in maybe 96 but finally got rewound in 2016!
    I think I robbed the old string wrap too, going for authentic cloth & steel...

18. Wpaul63

Wpaul63 TDPRI Member

Thank you for all your excellent replies (for some reason I'm not receiving email alerts to post replies...).
    I'm loath to tweak the original pickup, and tomorrow will definitely measure it just to get an idea of what's going on.

@telemnemonics - thank you for all the pointers: yes I had already lowered the neck pickup as much as i could and adjusted the polepieces. Taken on it's own, that p.up. is a lovely beast. You'll need to pry that baby out of my dead hands. I'd just love to find the proper playmate for it, you know what I mean?

Given that there are dual V T controls I'd tend to use like a Lester - middle position, tweak the respective volumes and/or tones to get nuance - and then only go full neck or bridge for very specific colors (but that IS highly personal, I know).

Cheers, beers and rocknroll!

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a '73. I solved this problem with a Duncan Hot Rails. I love, love, love the Hotrails.

All of this album is recorded on my '73 Tele Custom. https://floormodel.bandcamp.com/

Easily 80% on the Hot Rails. We're a punk/rock band. So I'm ok with breakup. But it does great with clean too. Match made in heaven with the vintage Wide Range. It's not as "hot" as the name implies, yet it holds up beautifully to the WR.

My parts are the "riffing/solos/non-pure-rhythm" parts. Recorded first into a cranked '72 Deluxe Reverb (say on 7, solos on 10). Then second pass into a 212 early JCM800 roaring away.

Cheers

Wpaul63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.