Suggest an OD I haven't tried

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Jun 12, 2017.

1. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

The fulldrive seems to be a staple, I was going to grab a plimsoul but everyone has me thinking of a FD2/3 or Camel Toe.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Like I said, I'd buy another FD2 or 3 in a heartbeat IF.....I didn't know I didn't love it with a Tweed Deluxe. The FD2, or at least MY FD2 flat out rules with BF/SF Fenders. I've owned mine since 1999 and it's never left my board. But this Pro Reverb I'm having modded, I expect that Normal channel to have considerably more mids. The FD2 is full of mids, which can equal mush.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What purpose?

Live or home?

Always-on preamp? Solo boost? Dirty rhythm channel?

If the hope is to find one that works equally well for any or all of those purposes in a tweed channel and in a BF channel, I think you're setting yourself up for frustration.

4. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

Lightning Boy Soul Drive V+

5. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Another vote toward a J Rockett Archer, here! Works great as a cleanish boost, for solos or always on to goose your amp consistently... Has an awesome inherent overdrive/distortion tone too. I can't find a bad sound in the thing. Highly recommend it.

6. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Stacking OD: BD-2 into TS9. :)

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Purpose is live work on small stages and blues jams where I don't want to drag the big board out. I have a nice pedalboard with everything I need(4 dirt pedals) and know that'll work for the, like 4 times a year, I play a decent sized stage and for home use. For this application, amp vol will be low(under 3, prob 2.5).

And I hear you, hence the thread. ODs can be frustrating and rarely does one "do it all." That's why I have 4! Well, 2, a clean boost and a fuzz but you get the idea.

So far, the one I'm most intrigued by and think will work best for me here is the Mojo Hand Odessa. It's 2 different ODs in one box, the Rook(TS based, for the Vib ch) and the Magpie(a transparent low gainer, for the Tweedy ch).

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I have both the CM-2 and SC-2 on my small board. The 2 pedals compliment each other nicely - I have one is set for a nice, lower-gain crunch and the other for a smoother, more sustain-y OD/distortion (I use this one a lot for slide).
    And I actually have them set the opposite of what you would expect... SC-2 for the crunch and CM-2 for the smooth sustain. :confused:

Sadly, both are out of production.
    But if you can score either on the used market, I would highly recommend them.

9. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, the Timmy comment was directed to the OP.

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

The Blackstone is almost a preamp. The "brown" and "red" settings and their associated controls provide a lot of options. In fact, it takes some time to really understand this pedal's capabilities.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

With the 2 smaller amps I had(Richter 5E3 and a Savage Macht 12x.....was hard to let those 2 go) I LOVED the Timmy. But with my BF Super and Pro Reverbs, I just liked it. The FD2 sounded way better to me. On the flipside, the Timmy sounded better than the FD2 with the other 2 amps. To me, pedal selection NEEDS to be "tailored" to the amps they're to be used with. I prefer TS types with BF/SF Fenders and more transparent types with Tweeds and Marshalls.

That said, the Timmy is an outstanding OD and I'd buy one again without hesitation. But not to be used ALONE in front of this Pro Reverb. IF I wanted 2 ODs for this amp, Timmy+old FD2=DONE. But I'm looking for a single pedal, and it'll be the only pedal on the floor.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Just posted this in another thread but it fits your guitar>pedal>amp needs perfectly. Plexi crank then you just ride your pu select and vol/tone knobs for the rest. Dirt cheap on used market so give it a try. [​IMG]

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I like clean boosts. Have had a Bad Bob, Oddfellow Fx Napoleon, Fat Boost3, Boosts Grande and probably others. For this application, I'm looking for a box that I can raise gain/OD without raising the overall volume. Most one knobbers raise the volume too much.

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My two favorite OD pedals ever are the Rat and the MHP 72°. I don't know which one I'd use if I only could keep one of them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

When I do use an od pedal at home to throw some dirt or my 5e3 with just a tone control I use a DOD Looking Glass. I like the how the tone controls work to make up for the lack of a Bass/ treble control on the 5E3. When I'm playing with an amp greater than 30 watts and it has no master vol. I use J Rocket Archer gold. Can make for a nice clean boost also when your switching out guitars like from an L.P. to tele.

I seldom use an OD pedal. I'm a master vol./ channel vol. guy and my boost is the vol. control on my guitar.

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I tried that. Those 2 small amps I had(5E3 & Savage) were all about that. Yet I still found myself using pedals. The 5E3 was supposed to be "that" amp....til i got a reverb pedal, then a tremolo, then another wah, then a boost, etc. The Savage was perfect for riding the guitar volume with no pedals. I kept The reverb pedal velcroed to The top of the amp even! The problem was, I wanted my cleans to be blackface Fender cleans, with some headroom. Pedals make not having to have a Champ, Princeton, Deluxe, Super, and or a Twin at once.

17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is my favorite OD pedal on my board.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Snouse or Red Snapper

sanfi4u likes this.
  19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For background, I played blues using old Teles and Strats into a '77 Pro Reverb set with the volume at 2.5 for home use. Among other pedals I tried an original TS-9 and a old Fulldrive II with comp cut. Both sounded dull and muddy for home use.

For me a Blackstone was perfect. Very amp like sound and feel through a clean amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.