Suggest a pair of Duncans for my 72 custom! :D

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ChipOnly, May 8, 2016.

1. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Hey guys. I have a 72 custom from about 1999 that a pup swap is long overdue for.

Nailing the WRHB tone is not important to me ($$$), but I did buy a mounting ring so that the larger pickguard rout will fit a standard size humbucker. I do intend to buy a covered humbucker for the neck to keep the look (and of course HB to have a refuge from single coil hum).

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to SC-sized HB for the tele bridge position, although the tele bridge sound is to me the essence of tele-tude, and I would like to retain it.

FWIW I have a nashville tele that gets me traditional tele tones as well as strat 2&4 tones, so no need to cover these with the 72 custom. It can be all about rockin'.

So guys, what do you think? What pair of seymour duncans (I get a discount due to my employer and I like SDs a lot to begin with), neck humbucker and bridge single-coil, pair nicely in terms of tone and output? I would like them to be relatively similar in output and not worlds apart in terms of EQ profile.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight the considerable collective wisdom here can offer!

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

There were a couple of threads about these pickups lately. Telenator Mod 1&2 pickups are great, Brandonwounds are nice, GFS has a couple of models that are WRHB size and HB size(some sound good some not to me) and Railhammer has a new Humcutter model that is HB sized that sound more like quiet P90's.
    http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html I Kind of like the Nuevo90 the most out of the Railhammer Humcutters. There's a link to some vids on their site.

3. Zepfan

If your going with the SD HB's, lots of models to choose from that really depend on what you want. The usual suspects that people mention are the Seth Lovers, Whole Lotta Humbucker, Jazz/JB combo or regular 59's.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Did you people not read that he said specifically that he gets a discount on Seymour Duncan pickups and intends to buy that brand? His question is, specifically, which Seymour Duncan pickup combination should he get?

5. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Antiquity with 500K pots.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Zepfan

Did you not read my second post that came right after the first one?

7. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

stk-t3b for tele-tude
    pearly gates bridge model in neck position for rockin'.

8. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

The Seymour Duncan stk-t3b is the vintage stack. That is a great idea in the bridge. I run that in the bridge and a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck. I hear great things about the Seymor Duncan Antiquity II Adjustable Mini-Humbucker Neck Position, so that is a great choice for the neck. You will be humbucking all the way around there. And the mini-humbucker plays well with the tele style pickup in the bridge. Get 500K pots.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

SETH LOVER for the neck and Antiquity Tele for the bridge.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

11. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Thanks gents!

With discount, the SD WRHB is only $30 less than full custom shop price. Regular production pups are running about half of street.

Considering a quarter pounder in the bridge, or a Jerry Donahue. Humbuckers for the neck position that would pair well?

12. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

+1
    For the pearly gates~

A '59 or Seth lover in the neck

13. DannyRayMilligan

DannyRayMilligan TDPRI Member

I'm planning on the Pearly Gates for both of my telecasters, but I've often thought about the John Petrucci pickups, Crunchlab for bridge and Liquifire for the neck, but I think those are dimarzio, not SD.

14. Tom Freeman

Tom Freeman TDPRI Member

I can vouch for the Duncan '59. I've only ever used it in Gibson style guitars, but I've already decided that if I ever get another tele and want to load it with humbuckers, I'm putting one in the neck position (and maybe another in the bridge if I don't go with a JB). Everytime I use the 59, I can easily dial in tones from recordings where I know the player was using vintage PAF style pickups (Early Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Allman Brothers, countless blues records...).

15. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Have a quarter pounder in the bridge of my 72 custom and i absolutely love it. It really made this my favorite guitar. I have a mojo widerange clone in the bridge that is sweet but i know you want Seymour Duncan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.