1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggest a new set of pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Flat6Driver, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Thank you all. The bootstrap look good for the price and again, this is an experiment. They seem to have 3 versions. I have a hard time with marketing lingo and cutting through all that. Which version do you have?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I have the Extra Crispy set. Basically, they are styled after Broadcaster pickups.

As far as I can tell, Ryan offers four options that broadly align with four classic flavours of Tele pickups.

The Original Recipe are styled after 50s / blackguard Telecasters. Which is a little beefier than later pickups.

The Extra Crispy is a little hotter, yet still 50s vintage (hotter in just the bridge, I *think?*). A little more Broadcaster like I believe. Slightly beefier than the Original Recipe.

The Palo Duro are apparently more like classic 60s onwards pickups, so more twang I guess.

The Pretzel set has a more Strat like neck, but I’m not sure about the bridge. Possibly similar to the Palo Duro bridge? So, I guess like the classic mod of Strat-ifying the neck.

Anyway, if I’m wrong someone will correct me, no doubt.

In one Tele I have a very nice set of Fender ‘62 type pickups. They give me a nice, un-harsh twang, and can do a nice sharpe rocky growl in the bridge, and clear, smooth bassy-er and quite smooth and sweet sounding tones in the neck (whatever all that means :)).

My Extra Crispy set in my 50s style Tele by contrast, gives me quite a clear, well defined, and slightly brighter neck. The bridge is quite warm (for a Tele - I guess that’s another way of saying not harsh or ice picky at all) and thick sounding. It has what I think of as this roundness. I find I use it a lot more than I do the bridge on my 60s type Tele. Again, it’s all so subjective and hard to describe.

The other thing is, I’m on a Vox AC amp at home, using a Top Boost channel. I’ve yet to get out and try them on anything else. Dying to put them through a Twin. Current unmentionables slowing that down.

One thing I’ve noticed with the Bootstraps, I get a lot of change or variation with rolling vol and tone in the guitar, compared with the old pickups. It seems to get some kind of character change when I roll things back, more so than before. I find this very interesting and fun to play with.

Hope this helps.

Also, Ryan is great at helping you. There a chat service in his website for business hours.

Pax/
    Dean

Flat6Driver likes this.
  3. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

fender original vintages

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

the 64's are good.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

Ha ha, I’ll have to correct myself. Was just hunting around for other stuff and noticed on the Bootstrap site that the Pretzel set has a hot wound bridge.

Pax/
    Dean

6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    If I found myself in your predicament I would adjust my pickups height down and turn a knob or two on the Tele or your Deluxe Reverb.

I think as a whole us electric guitar players often search for ways to buy bits and pieces when turning screws or knobs will fix the problem.

With that said, if tweaking what you have doesn't work, give Seymour Duncan a call and explain your problem in detail to them.

7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Devils advocate, are you able to get a sound you like when you engage the EQ pedal? If yes, then I’d personally just keep that as an always on and save my money.

Lots of good suggestions, but pickups are kind of a commitment (rabbit hole) and you might not like what you put in there.

TequilaCaster and northernguitar like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

When you are in there soldering ... also:
    -install a 4-way switch to give you a Stealth Les Paul with series humbucking mode. Twelve dollar switch online.
    -Install shielded cable from the volume pot to the jack to cut down noise. This is about half the usual idle guitar noise you can fix. The other half is cavity shielding (I use Nashua Aluminum Flashing tape).

Obviously, you are mostly curious about pickups and that's the path you are on, but
    When wanting to push tone around to fix guitar problems or just change the tone:
    -Adjust pickup heights, tip bass/treble, and if screw poles adjust those too like EQs
    -Measure and swap Pots 'n Caps
    -Last swap pickups and go back to the top of the list.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  9. Flat6Driver

Yes and no. Like everything else, some days it'll sound good and others not as much. I do find that I like it better with the amp up a little louder and I usually don't do that until the band shows up. In the mix I'm usually happy with it.

I figure I could put something in and if I don't like it, revert back.

10. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Why the EQ pedal? Is it on all the time? Just kick it in for a mid-boost? Have you tried it without the pedal?

11. Flat6Driver

I maybe don't have the right words.to describe it. I use a TS9 which I know has a bit of a mid boost anyhow to push the amp a little. I use the pedal to dial OUT a little of the mids.

There's a million videos on how to play and lessons to take. Much fewer lessons on how to use these $000's in gear.

12. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Try swapping out the TS-9 with a different OD
    The frequency of its mid bump seems to be tailored for Strat pickups, and Tele players often prefer a Nobels or Timmy or Klone.

"That Pedal Show" on YouTube has good tutorials on how to use gear

13. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

I put Fender Yosemite pickups in my MIM Standard. Smoothed that thing right out. Same pickups as the American Performer. I think I paid $65 for the pair.

14. Flat6Driver

I'll have to look for some of those videos/pedals. I swapped the Blues Driver I never use in just now to try it and I always feel it's too "harsh".

15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If your find the Blues Driver harsh and the TS9 to be heavy in the mids, try out a Boss OD3. The OD3 is a smoother overdrive like the TS style but has less mid hump and a bit more low mid. I think you’d dig it!

Flat6Driver likes this.
  16. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

@northernguitar Shhhhhh ..... don't let the secret out!

You beat me to it ... I've been so happy with Vineham that I won't use anything else and I actually stopped thinking about pickup swapping altogether.

A Tele set goes for $125 CAD, which is about $98 USD plus shipping. Not a big risk to try if you're interested.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    northernguitar likes this.
  17. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

18. Flat6Driver

I listened to a bunch of demos and found one of these online. While I wait for it to arrive, I added my TS-9 back to the board and fooled around with the blues driver and the TS-9, stacked. Got some really nice sounds. Thanks for at least pushing me off my go-to pedal and forced me to experiment. Mondays are usually "band night" but with the weather, we're taking the night off. Too bad, I wanted to see how it all sounded in the mix.

DeepDangler likes this.
  19. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Many boutique overdrives and distortions are just a couple common circuits stacked into each other. Hope you dig the new pedal! If you end up liking two pedals stacked for a sound, try a boss LS2. It allows you to set up a chain of pedals to use at the same time.

20. Flat6Driver

Oh I have that. The higher gain pedals are on the top chain (with the red light!).

One day I'll figure out how to USE this stuff correctly.

DeepDangler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.