1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggest a delay pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gary in Boston, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

If it is your first delay I’m assuming....

A. You don’t play shoegaze or ambient arty stuff as you would have already filled your board.

B. You don’t have a bead on what type of delay sound you want.

So get a TC Flashback first.. it does a good job at giving you a wide array of sounds. Play that for a while and you will be better setup to decide what style fits you for you next delay...

... and there will be more
    And more
    And more
    And more ... more...more..mor...mo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lies&Distortion and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Flashback is a good bet. Lots of great sounding delays packed into a single box.

Modman68 likes this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I like the TC Flashback Mini; it is super versatile. It has a unique tempo function. My first delsy was a Boss DD-3, and it does that digital delay thing fine. OTOH, that DM-2W is probably worth a look.

All of those are in the price point, and work adequately.

4. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I picked up a DOD Rubberneck a few weeks ago, and I can't say enough good things about it.

5. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Glad it helped. I looked at the echo square, but I decided I liked the sound and simplicity of the yellow. For me the echo takes me into a territory where I think I'd want tap tempo. You won't go wrong with either. Get it in Amazon and you can easily return.
    Greg

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

TC's Flashback is easily the most bang for the buck as far as digital delays go. The Toneprint option alone is a pretty amazing tool.

In the OP's budget range, Carbon Copy is probably the most natural sounding delay pedal to chose from. It's very popular so it's also got some resale value, if that's important to you.

Boss DD-Whatever is always a good buy if you get them at a good price. I've got a DD-7 and the reverse delay function was a lot of fun for about 10 minutes. I haven't found a real-world use for it, but it is nice to know you have it.

7. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I like the xvive delay ... basically the deluxe memory man with howard's mods. of course, asking this question is going to get a million different answers and technically they're all right

8. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

Well I cant believe 3 pages and I'm the first one to suggest the Catalinbread Belle Epoch ( the Belle Epoch Deluxe is even more amazing but is outside the price range.) it emulates an Echoplex like no other pedal I have ever heard. ( I just looked up the price and it is $210, so technically out of range too but you can find a used one for a lot less)

bluesholyman and Fearnot like this.
  9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Well so for $69.00 I bought the Donner Yellow Fall off of REVERB

It came on Saturday and it's silly simple and it sounds great, now maybe it's my first delay and I'm smitten but what else can you expect I wanted an atomospheric effect and BOOM it delivers.

PS the cute size makes me want to look at the Donner compressor and the two of them together would make a good little package

Thanks!

Gary

Fearnot likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like the Boss DD3 for a digital sound, but mostly I prefer analog. For that, I use a vintage Maxon AD-900. Dirt simple, and fantastic. Bought it used off some guy in Australia (The Gear Page, I think).

11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Delay is too specific to individual taste. I like Maxon AD9, AD999, AD9pro. Not as dark as other stuff, very specific sound.

But everyone has thier own taste. The Donner is easily as good as it gets in its range and higher even. I have a BBE Two Timer for darker shorter delays. LEDs are pretty bright, but it was like $40 compared to my better sounding AD999 $150 used. So, its about how attached to a specific sound you are, I suppose.

12. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

I like it too. I like the yellow the best of what I've used. I also have the tap delay and it's really cool on the digital setting. I might be losing it, but I unplugged my $369 T-Rex Replica and just enjoyed dialing in the yellow. I then dialed the tap delay for slap back and got a pretty good faux reverb sound. They have a Revecho that I would like to try. Can't beat them.

13. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

look for a used Boss DD20 covers a decent amount of uses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.