1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suggest a delay pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gary in Boston, Apr 10, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still like the Boss DM2 best.

2. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

MXR Carbon Copy works for me.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a DD2 and a DD3. Never found anything I liked better.

8trackmind and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I think the lesson here is that there are a lot of different delays available, and they're all various flavors of good. What floats your boat is up to you.

I have the Digitech Obscura, and a Catalinbread Belle Epoch. I'm not into the bright, digital delay sounds of the '80s, I like my delays dark and tape-ish since the repeats don't get in the way. YMMV.

The Obscura sounds great and is very versatile, it offers four different delay styles- tape, analog, low-fi and reverse. The Degrade control is great for getting those cool grimy, smeary repeats if you want it (I wish the Belle had this control).

The Belle is a lot more limited in terms of versatility (it's an Echoplex, nothing else) but to my ears it just works a tad better with a non-MV amp cranked up like your '70s rock heroes did.

OttoCorrect and SixStringSlinger like this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Look into the Boss TE-2. It's like a reverb and delay in one making it unique. It is great for ambience.

The TC Electronics ones are awesome in value too considering it has tone prints and all.

Tornado likes this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If it’s your first foray into delay pedals I would get something that lets you explore a ton of tones and not a one trick pony. I love the Boss DD500, I found it used for $169, but that’s a rare deal. The DD200 will let you explore a myriad of sounds to see what you like, used under $200. A TC flashback will also let you explore a wide variety of tones, same with the digitech hardwire delay. Another option is the zoom multi stomp, they can be had for under $100 and have a load of available delays.

7. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Hi, Gary.

If you want a great little pedal and don't need tap tempo, try the donner yellow fall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRRN2RI/?tag=tdpri-20

I spent yesterday comparing it to the much, much more expensive T-Rex Replica and bigger brother Donner Echo tap delay. The yellow is as nice sounding as either of these for what I play (jazz and country, clean through a fender Tonemaster twin reverb). It's a set and forget pedal, and I get in the mood to get something we, but play it and just realize it's a great pedal. Best of luck.
    Greg

Fearnot and schenkadere like this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Hotone Eko delay if 500 ms delay time is enough for you.

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Lovepedal EPH-3 is on my board, partly for the echoes which are dark, warmly & smeary, and partly for the preamp which does something obscure but cool to the guitar signal. Just a good-sounding box, don't use it every song but I like it to stand out when I do use it & this one does.

Had a TC Alter Ego x4 that I really liked -- a whole bunch of vintage echo simulations, fun to play around with -- but one day it just quit working, and the company was no use at all in trying to get it fixed. Others have had better experiences but I wouldn't buy again.

10. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Thanks folks............ stay safe.

Gary

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dawner Prince Boonar

12. tonedover

tonedover TDPRI Member

i got the DD200 last month and it handles multiple modes with excellent tone

reverse, analog, tape, digital, echorec, dual mode etc, plus tap, looper and enough control on the time to get it down to basic reverb sounds

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree. Great pedal. Have it in my effects loop...set and forget. Excellent, simple, inexpensive delay.

Fearnot and gregj1964 like this.
  14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

MXR Carbon Copy works for me.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah surely the DMM family is one the OP should explore.. maybe start with a Memory Toy or Boy to get an idea of what Analog delay in this family is like if you don't want to go straight to the somewhat high costs of the DMM units.

The other family of pedals to explore is anything that really tries hard to emulate a Tape Unit.. That Pedal Show has been doing shows highlighting these lately, along with comparing them to real Tape Echos...

These two groups are just so organic and can have so many crazy different sounds in them without having tons of complicated controls. They are both really great at keeping the echos from crowding out the main guitar signal as well. And they sound great for everything from the most simple use of delay up to the most complicated.

If you're going to talk Radiohead & Ed O'Brien than you have to include the Line 6 DL4 as well... A lot of Ed O'Brien's crazy delay tricks are him turning on a DMM as an "always on" and leaving it be, then he stacks the DL4 on top of it and manipulates the DL4 in real time. Absolutely nutty guru level stuff though. The "That Pedal Show" interview with Ed O'Brien is jaw dropping as he demonstrates how he does a lot of his stuff.

I've never gotten my hands on one but the DOD Rubberneck is also an extremely inspired pedal.. Tom Kramm's best work.

Not that I necessarily aspire to that level of trickery...

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  16. Gary in Boston

Hey there

So I went to check out the Donner Yellow Fall Pedal and all the demos sound great for a fraction of the price of others. Then I see the Donner Echo Square pedal that is also super reasonable and offers lots of options within it, heck you could buy both and still be under $75 What are your thoughts on the Echo Square pedal?

Thanks for telling me about these by the way,

Gary

gregj1964 likes this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’d have to second this, I bought a vintage example and liked it so much that when the waza’s came out I bought one of those too

I use one for slap back and the other for long delays

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Digitech Obscura all the way. That thing is incredible and shockingly affordable given what it all can do. It’s digital but very user friendly and I was even able to dial in a tone that sounded exactly like my analog Boss DM-2w. It’s now my only delay pedal and certainly a great pick for a first delay.

19. Gary in Boston

So I went down the inexpensive delay rabbit hole. The Donner Yellow Fall is a heck of a good sounding unit at a great, super great price. They also make or made a pedal called Echo Square which is a bit more money but has additional functions which are useful. Then I see the Moore Reecho pedal @$69.00 which seems also like a great deal and this pedal sounds great on the YouTube demos too.

Any votes for the Moore Reecho ?

Any experience with the Donner Echo Square?

Thanks!

Gary

20. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you know what you are looking for in terms of tone, I'll bet the guys here can help dial in something more specific. If not, something that can cover a lot of ground can help you decide what sort of delay you like (analog, digital, oil can, tape, modulated, etc). Good choices for multi delay include the TC Flashback that has been recommended, or the old Line 6 DL4, which can be had used for a good price and still sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.