1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sugar Drive vs Tumnus

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kayle McGuire, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

I’m going to pull the trigger on a mini klon... either MXR or Wampler.

You guys have any suggestions? Which would you choose, and why?

Anybody have experience with both??

KM

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I think there may be at least one youtube video out there comparing these two. Look for klon shootouts or klone shootouts. At any rate, the Tumnus has more than held its own against a number of other pedals (mini and full size) and has compared favorably even to actual Klon pedals. Good luck. Let us know what you get.

3. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I really dig the Tumnus for my Tele applications (Americana, alt country, country rock, honky tonk). Can't get along with it and humbuckers together.
    Sorry, never tried a Sugar Drive.

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Tried both.

Tumnus for me.

I can't really explain why, but the Tumnus had more of what I like.

Murphcaster likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Have tried the Wampler, ended up with a JRocket Archer Ikon, have not tried the Sugar Drive.

I hear nothing but great things about the Tumnus, never heard of it disappointing anyone. The Sugar Drive seems a bit late to a party thats already full of contenders. For that reason alone, it probably won't be as popular or have as good a resale. If you think you might want to resell it in the future, if thats a pattern, then I'd say just get the Tumnus - it will probably have the best resale.

If you have anyway to sit down and play both side by side, I'd suggest doing so. Listening to the few videos, I'd say the Tumnus has a bit more gain/volume on tap, but they do seem pretty close. OF course, there are many Klon clones that are very close...

Let us know what you end up with....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I found the Sugar WAY too bright. I much prefer my Chinese Klones, like the Crème Brulee, Bad Horse, and Clone Central Centaur. But, from what I've heard on YouTube, the Tumnus is awesome. Brian makes REALLY, REALLY good stuff. And he's a really nice guy too, who often compliments pedals from other makers in his videos.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hard to beat a Wampler pedal.

8. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

As others have said, the Tumnus is an excellent choice. I'd dare even say I prefer it over an original Klon. Great pedal. Never tried the Sugar Drive, but didn't feel compelled to thanks to the Tumnus.

9. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Sugar Drive incoming...I'll report back in a week or two!

RomanS likes this.
  10. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rimrock Mythical Overdrive, watch the demo below, watch until the end and listen to what he has to say....

RJ

11. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Ya I had both. Now I only have one. The Tumnus sounds better as a clean boost. The Tumnus has a better buffer. The Tumnus has this organic complexity thing going on which you can't get on the Sugar. But the gain on the Tumnus didn't play well my Tele and Princeton. It had this certain frequency spike that was brittle and piercing. And eventually I grew tired of the complexity thing. It sounded fake to me. That might be the true sound of the Klon though. The Sugar just sounds like a good overdrive so I'm not sure it cops the Klon tone.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up an EHX Soul Food used for $50 and am quite pleased with it. I am not a Klon aficianado but I must say this modest pedal
    has some special qualities to it. Currently it has kicked the OD-3 off of my main gigging board so my ODs are an SD-1 stacked into
    the Soul Food. I'm sure the Sugar Drive is probably better, and the Tumnus even better still, but $50 is a great price.

collkenn and Kayle McGuire like this.
  13. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Neither. If I was on the market for a mini-klone I'd go for a Decibelics Golden Horse:

It's a much better klone all around imho.

14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I tried a Tumnus and didn’t like it. Some reviewers say it has a slightly fatter sound than a lot of Klones and I agree. I found it muddy or woofy, so I flipped it pronto.
    I didn’t have them side-by-side for an A/B test, but I preferred the Soul Food I tried to the Tumnus. It may be the difference between silver and gold Klons and Klones, I’m more of a silver guy, I think they are a bit thinner or brighter.

I don’t know how the Sugar Drive compares, but I’d be interested to hear it against a Soul Food.

15. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I have not tried a Tumnus. I absolutely love the Sugar Drive. I'm very choosy about overdrive, and the one I've used forever is a TS10 on a very low setting - smooth.

I have not tried any Klon clone, but I tried the Xotic RC Booster 2. I missed the midrange boost - it was too transparent - I felt I could get what it gave me by turning up my guitar.

The Sugar Drive goes from a very mild clean boost to a very fat midrangey overdrive. I don't see the "too bright" comment, but this stuff is always very subjective.

Obviously the drive knob on the Sugar Drive is the most dramatic way to go from boost to drive, but you can get that effect to an extent just with your guitar's volume knob.

For reference, I mainly play P90 Reverends, but also like the Sugar Drive with my strat and with my tele.

16. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

I had a Tummnus deluxe for about 6 months & loved it. Problem is....It completely disintegrated (bypass stopped working, footswitch was finniky, & finally , it just died.
    This is the 2nd time with the Tummnus that I owned that this happened.
    DONE~!

17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I think I might have gotten a defective one, 'cause it doesn't sound too bright in any of he videos I've seen on YouTube. Maybe I should go to my local MXR dealer and try it again.

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I'm going to not help you at all.

I've never used a Tumnus, but love the Sugar Drive. It does clean boost to good grungy dirt. Without messing with your basic tone.

I play harp with a guy who uses a Tumnus. It sounds great with both his Tele and his P-90 equipped LP Junior.

See? That didn't help at all. Except that I'm sure they're both good choices. My late wife would have just picked whichever one cost more and got it over with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.