Sudden influx of RW body Teles into UK

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tony Ounsworth, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

I got my newsletter email from GAK at the weekend. It was headed "New Gibsons for 2015!", but what really made me do a double take was this:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-fsr-japanese-rosewood-telecaster-natural-dark-stain/95111

[​IMG]

And this:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-fsr-japanese-rosewood-telecaster-natural/95112

[​IMG]

I've wanted a George Harrison style Tele for a while, but the real deal is prohibitively expensive. I googled for similar websites to GAK and it appears that all the major UK retailers have these in stock. No idea why, I guess they must have had a big shipment in from Japan, hence all the other Japanese Aerodynes etc that are now also available.

Anyway, I was all set to buy one, but then I realised that the sides of the body and the back of the neck are painted gloss black. This is a big disappointment as I wanted the thin line around the side of the body, which was maple on the original. I'm guessing that the basswood interior of these guitars is actually pretty thick, and the rosewood is just a thin veneer. They've then covered the join with black paint.

So I think I might pass, but I thought some of you guys based in the UK or Europe might be interested.

2. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

that's $1200+ us dollars ,I think. Lot of money for ,not the real thing. I'd pass too

3. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

This pic of the string guide looks slightly strange.

[​IMG]

It's from the Natural Dark Stain Gloss version, but it's the same on both models.

4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Don't forget, that we are talking Euro prices here. For comparison the US standard is $1800+ over here.

5. Tony Ounsworth

Yes, I thought the same thing about the string tree. It's actually slightly closer to the logo in some pix I've seen.

The neck is just straight maple as well, painted black. So what you've got is a bog standard Tele with a cool looking veneer. Shame. It does look cool though.

6. Tony Ounsworth

7. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

8. LeonDanger

LeonDanger TDPRI Member

I got my rosewood tele from Warmoth. It wasn't cheap but turned out being a whole lot cheaper than getting an off the shelf proper rosewood guitar.

9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Full rosewood (body and neck)? How's the weight? Any pics? I'd love to see that!

10. Tony Ounsworth

Seconded. And was it a RW sandwich with maple in between?

11. Tony Ounsworth

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Actually, I do have a vague memory of seeing photos from the side of the body and the interior slab looked very convincing (i.e. pretty thin). I could be wrong.

Still, the maple neck is a deal-breaker for me. The whole thing feels like a half-measure.

13. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

14. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly the same on my MIJ '94 TL71b. I did think the same when I first received it...

15. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I saw that thing in a musicstore last week so I took it down from the hanger and played a little unplugged. I felt absolutly nothing and was disepointed that it was blackpainted on the sides.
    If you seen the "Thomann Prinze" tread you should know that i still love my harley-benton "prinze". So much that Im thinking of ordering there rosewood tele....
    http://www.thomann.de/se/harley_benton_te_70_rosewood_deluxe_series.htm
    only 144 euro.....

16. euro

euro Tele-Holic

This guitar is nothing like a real rosewood tele. Anyone wanting rosewood tele should look elsewhere. "Move along, move along, nothing to see here. Go on now."

17. Tony Ounsworth

That looks pretty nice, and kind of makes the Fender look like a rip off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.