successfull experimentation day

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I think I have read about a gozillion posts about the use of cheap audio cables for reverb send/return in amps , not only do they introduce noise into the amp but longevity is a major issue .
so I thought I would play, to day I recieved 2 X 16" RCA coax cables , each part isolated and extremely insolated, terminating in 90 deg angled RCA gold tip connectors ,I plugged them into my reverb send/return from the amp to the tank,

the reverb signal was quiet, and clear , so for as much as my amp is concerned I can state the the quality of the cables is quite pronounced in a good way

these were the cables I got off of Ebay .5 meter length , these are not cheap either in construction or price but the difference is outstanding and audiable.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

Last edited:

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I believe that If your previous cables were wearing out you would notice a difference - but not any different than any other new cable.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I believe that If your previous cables were wearing out you would notice a difference - but not any different than any other new cable.
I use only the best commercial cables , and i modified this amp to have external RCA jacks instead of the cheap prewired /hard wired ( wired to the Amp PC board) cables. this is a Fender Power chorus amp a great sounding amp for solid state but Fender cut too many corners in the construction.
things like, as mentioned hard wired Reverb , hard wired stereo speaker wires, not jacks , over heating power resisters the are pushed to the PC board causing the traces to over heat and fail blowing out the Power Caps ( I measured these resisiters to 179 F )

I usually make my own cables for the studio ( insurance to quality control ) but in this case I thought I would try a commercial set of high grade RCA coax speaker and digital grade shielded 600 ohm short cables , the results were imediately appearent , with the reverb clocked to 10 there was no apearent noise in the circuit, none .These were advertised for use to drive audio to powered sub bass cabs .

a little history the amp Fender power Chorus is an SS red knob stereo combo amp , similar to a Roland JC120 , the previous owner kept the cab and speakers to build a custom unit and threw out the amp I rebuilt, modified, and recapped and replaced those over heated ceramic resisters elevating them off the PC installing heat sinks for disapation. then moded it to to be an amp head using a Marshall 1922 single 2X 12 celestian driven stereo cab .

P1010007_2.JPG

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I use only the best commercial cables , and i modified this amp to have external RCA jacks instead of the cheap prewired /hard wired ( wired to the Amp PC board) cables. this is a Fender Power chorus amp a great sounding amp for solid state but Fender cut too many corners in the construction.
things like, as mentioned hard wired Reverb , hard wired stereo speaker wires, not jacks , over heating power resisters the are pushed to the PC board causing the traces to over heat and fail blowing out the Power Caps ( I measured these resisiters to 179 F )

I usually make my own cables for the studio ( insurance to quality control ) but in this case I thought I would try a commercial set of high grade RCA coax speaker and digital grade shielded 600 ohm short cables , the results were imediately appearent , with the reverb clocked to 10 there was no apearent noise in the circuit, none .These were advertised for use to drive audio to powered sub bass cabs .

a little history the amp Fender power Chorus is an SS red knob stereo combo amp , similar to a Roland JC120 , the previous owner kept the cab and speakers to build a custom unit and threw out the amp I rebuilt, modified, and recapped and replaced those over heated ceramic resisters elevating them off the PC installing heat sinks for disapation. then moded it to to be an amp head using a Marshall 1922 single 2X 12 celestian driven stereo cab .

View attachment 980013
Well - you did a good job - but unless the wires were wearing out or cheap microphonic (which they probably were) the change in cables wouldn't have made much difference - I suspect it was the Elevating Resisters that changed the hum quotient.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well - you did a good job - but unless the wires were wearing out or cheap microphonic (which they probably were) the change in cables wouldn't have made much difference - I suspect it was the Elevating Resisters that changed the hum quotient.
actually it was the piss poor design and the cut corners on the red knob fender amp series, I had the same thing on another red knob amp I modified a fender Jam by replacing a bunch of cheap badly designed components it corrected alot of the internal issues with the amp , this amp in particular had been given a beer to drink , never ends well , LOL

the power chorus had internal issues , but the same design flaws, adding higher quality components to the reverb circuit including the cables made a difference , also replacing the effects chips and installing chip sockets in stead of hardwired chips etc.
I agree that the crap Fender used in the amp had the potential to limit the quality of the output. And for the 15.00 I spent on parts to correct this , turned the amp into a usable unit ( which I am really glad of) and at this point my favorite amp to use.

SS amps use a separate ground to chassis ground , that is why the reverb cables for tube amps can be the external braided High quality cables both the in and out of the spring ties to chassis ground , not cheap isolated RCA audio cables