1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Successful or over-priced?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Apr 22, 2021.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK...you drive past a little free-standing building that says, "Bob's Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning."
    Parked in front, most of the time, is a very sweet Porsche Carrera.
    Do you think:
    1-Bob is a successful man who must be very good at what he does; I will call him to fix my plumbing/heating/AC
    or
    2-Bob drives a $100k car....he charges too much.

nojazzhere and Marc Morfei like this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

The latter.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  3. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Bob must have a work crew and has contracts for the HVAC and plumbing of new construction projects. Bob is a closer.

surfco, Refugee, Ricky D. and 4 others like this.
  4. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

There was some joke I heard that I'm probably about to butcher, but here goes:

A plumber comes over to a lawyer's house to fix the sink. Once he's done, he charges $400 for an hour of his time, to which the lawyer says, "Wow, I wish I could charge $400 an hour!" The plumber replies, "When I was a lawyer, so did I."

5. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Could be Bob's girlfriend or his wifes car. :) I quit thinking that someone is succesful by the car they drive or that they make lots of money. Just about any idiot can buy or lease a new expensive luxury car if the lender or lease company thinks you can make at least half the payment. NO MONEY BAD CREDIT NO PROBLEM WE CAN AND WILL FINANCE ANYONE. Besides for any service type people I check my local Yelp and other reviews before hiring them.

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

3. Front for illegal operations and money laundering?

Seriously, though. Pretty much all home contract work is either by word of mouth or warranty contract. Ask around and find out the word on the street for said plumber.

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Bob also sells crack.

8. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I delivered for a very large Foodservice operation. All the salesmen and women had junk cars to do their routes. If the customer saw their BMW they knew why the price of sausage went up.

nojazzhere and TigerG like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's leased by the company. Bob's wife or whatever works there as the office manager and that's her company car. (Or at least that's what he tells the IRS)

10. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Bob is a closer. Bob gets contracts like this one in Dubai.

telestratosonic likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone buys toys. Doesn't mean they are sucessful or not.
    Bob's smart enough to buy that Porsche as a company car.
    Plumbers are ALL overpriced.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife and I have both been through this. She replaced a Porsche with a Benz. I've been driving various BMW models for years now. While I was working, some of those around me thought I must be overpaid. It's not so simple. With more than 30 years in the company, the last 20 in engineering management, my direct contributions to the bottom line were easily 20 of those cars in a bad year. My wife is also a professional. She owned a preschool and since retirement has a private practice as a child and elder advocate. She also has her own insurance agency for life, health, dental, and Medicare supplements. Sometimes people work hard and are successful. We have friends and family with boats or with second homes which are not so obvious to folks driving by. Despite what may look like lavish spending, both of our children graduated from top tier private universities debt free. We helped our daughter in law through her PhD while supporting our oldest through his. Hard work pays dividends and whether what that work produces is obvious to those who don't know us or not, it's earned and deserved. Bob should enjoy his Carrera and not worry about what others may think of it. That car didn't just materialize in front of his business. He worked for it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  13. charlie chitlin

Years ago, as a cub salesman, the sales manager told me to appear ass successful as possible...people like to deal with people who are good at what they do.
    I sort of understood where he was coming from, but never bought in.
    I always went for neat, organized and frugal.

EsquireBoy and Whatizitman like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Right. In fact, I tend to think the opposite of successful for all these reasons. Debt, poor money management, hustler, etc... Basically someone who is more concerned about public image and/or hustling than the actual quality of their work or product. Maybe they won the lottery or huge inheritance, and just keep a plumbing business because they love poo? Yeah, no. :D

rcboals likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

OK...
    3-Bob is in way over his head to flex with his badass European car

Dan German likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Yup. When I see a realtor in a BMW or Hummer I back away. Not having any of that.

The best scammers always have nice cars and houses, regardless of how much they make. It's part of the scam. Pyramid schemers and MLM execs are the worst.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I don’t begrudge someone’s success or how they choose to spend the rewards. Because... if I could play an Alembic or Collings I would.
    If the person does or did the work to get there who am I to say.

1 - Tell your kids it’s OK to be a mechanic or plumber or electrician. If anyone could do it they’d only make $8 an hour.

2 - Please don’t drive that Porsche below the limit in front of me when I’m on my way home.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Bob uses tax laws to his advantage, the car is owned by the company and he writes it off.

19. Whatizitman

You've met my dad?

20. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bob has chosen a poor work vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.