Subway rant - as if you need me to tell you

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i grew up in the tri-state, so plenty of good delis around, subs and philly cheese, and a bunch of other favorites abound. at least a chain like blimpie resembles a sub, if inferior quality.

but the first couple times i had subway, i was like "what in the living hell is this?" the bread smell alone eminating for a 5 mile radius is disgusting, it smells like some type of body odor. i feel bad for people who only know that as a sub.

Last edited:

Spox

Tele-Meister
Last time I remember using a Subway was in Berlin in 2008 and when I left the shop I spotted a family business making pizzas directly across the road from it and for the rest of my stay used that. As a comparison with Subway I'd take Tommys Joynt in San Francisco.
I have a family owned place on my block of similar quality to Tommys Joynt but I made a health decision six years ago to stop buying takeaway food and avoid bread and rolls, I actually feel guilty when I walk by this place because for a few years I would be working through the night and go in at 6.30am for a couple of rolls, eat them and go to my bed, not a healthy lifestyle hence the change, but they are doing fine without my business, always busy.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I thought this was about NY subways..but.

Ohio has Jimmy Jons, FIrehouse and Jersey Mikes.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Subway is the lowest rung on the sandwich ladder, so you have to have very low expectations to begin with. But there is no way Subway can serve anything remotely like an actual cheesesteak. The meat on a real cheesesteak is fried on a griddle, and is placed sizzling hot on the roll, which might be grilled as well. The heat melts the cheese. How does Subway do it? A bucket of cooked meat on the cold cut tray, then put it in the toaster or microwave? I can’t even imagine. It sounds like the equivalent of gas station sushi. Sure, visit Subway if you must, but please don’t order a cheesesteak.

No offense meant to OP, who is the innocent victim. No matter what you order or where, you should always expect to get something edible.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I try not to eat at any restaurant that has a drive through, and even then rarely, because I have the luxury of eating lunch at the house most days.

But in a pinch I choose subway over the burger joints. It is what it is.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Of the chains, I prefer Jersey Mike's. I do have to ask them to go easy on the oil and vinegar though-- they like to drown their subs in that stuff.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
so they used to be good? or they just don't match picture or what?

I'm not sure what the point is. I'm more of BK guy though.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Of the chains, I prefer Jersey Mike's. I do have to ask them to go easy on the oil and vinegar though-- they like to drown their subs in that stuff.

The oil & vinegar and all that salt and seasoning stuff they shake on 'em is called Mike's Way. I order a Philly Cheese Steak dry (no Mike's Way) and I'm always happy. Problem is they're 20-25 minutes drive from here, so I only get over there occasionally.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in a beef producing and fishing state. Funnily enough a lot of folks are going vegetarian and meat is really expensive.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If you eat them exceedingly fast and then take a bite out of a jelly doughnut, you can hardly tell it was bad.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
There's never enough steak on a steak sandwich, IMO. Even Culvers skimps on theirs, so I just get the burgers there now.
Subway, I usually order the chicken-bacon-ranch sandwich, better if heated, IMO.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
My kids used to like Subway, and I have had some of their sandwiches in my lifetime, but thankfully not for many years now . . . . I do recall their meatball sub as tasting OK but I shudder to think what the quality (and type?) of meat it actually was.

I used to take a meatball sub into the movies sometimes. Just had to be careful not to spill the sauce on my clothes in the dark. And endure the envious and/or annoyed glances of the other folk who noticed the strong aroma of the sauce wafting through the theater.

On the whole, I make it a practice to never eat fast food. Sadly, there are so few places anymore other than fast food. And the places that still exist are mostly not great. If there is a good sandwich place, or a good restaurant, it seems (however counterintuitive) not to last long, or to soon lower standards and not be so good anymore. At least in my area.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I guess it's a good way to lose weight, because if you throw up after eating it, it's as effective as bulimia.
When I eat Subway it goes through the entire tract - waaay too quickly. It leaves the same way. So very little of it actually gets absorbed as "nutrition".

Disclaimer - with Subway this only happened once or twice out of maybe a dozen visits over the years. Still, bad odds.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
When I eat Subway it goes through the entire tract - waaay too quickly. It leaves the same way. So very little of it actually gets absorbed as "nutrition".

Disclaimer - with Subway this only happened once or twice out of maybe a dozen visits over the years. Still, bad odds.

The wife and I had dinner at Don Tequila's last night, a chain Mexican restaurant. The ground beef buritos were way saltier and spicier than the last time we were there. I had to get up twice during the night to take TUMS, and my poop the next morning was the stinkiest I can remember. I guess we won't be going there any more, either. It's too bad because I find the Chipotle here to be completely inedible.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I like eating Subway sandwiches. I know they don’t look like the pictures but for the price I’m happy with what I get. They’ve never made me sick. After reading this thread I must be lucky.

I like them too. The people who work there are professional and pleasant and the black forest ham (stock photo) is good.

1651475802922.png

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this was about NY subways..but.

Ohio has Jimmy Jons, FIrehouse and Jersey Mikes.

I bet Ohio has places that are infinitely better that people 20 miles away have never heard of.

Poster Extraordinaire
The wife and I had dinner at Don Tequila's last night, a chain Mexican restaurant. The ground beef buritos were way saltier and spicier than the last time we were there. I had to get up twice during the night to take TUMS, and my poop the next morning was the stinkiest I can remember. I guess we won't be going there any more, either. It's too bad because I find the Chipotle here to be completely inedible.

Another chain. What did you expect? Chipotle is a chain. Of course it's inedible. Do you see a trend here?