Subway rant - as if you need me to tell you

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
So, I just had a Subway Steak & Cheese sub for lunch. I had heard that they recently changed the seasoning on the meat so I had to try it. It's horrible, IMO. It's way saltier and spicier than it used to be, I don't like it at all. Check out the picture on their web site:

Subway.jpg

There's 1/3 as much meat as in the picture, and I couldn't even find the cheese, and I saw the guy put it on there. I asked for the nine-grain wheat, honey oat, or nine-grain multiseed roll, and they didn't have any of them, and this is at lunchtime. I had to take a TUMS after I ate it. It had been a year since I went there, and I guess it'll be another year or two before I go back.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Subway is fine as fast food, but surely Loraine, OH has better sandwich shops. Around Philly it's hard to find a bad sandwich.

You'd be surpised, there aren't many good sandwich shops around here. The best burger place here is Red Robin and that's not saying much, I heard 5 Guys is going out of business, which is no loss, IMO. The Jersey Mike's isn't bad, but it's not that close. Melt is beyond greasy, and Panera's not so good, either.

Last edited:

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
There was a Subway near an old job I went to frequently, and I swear the guy in charge would count the lettuce shreds. I know they’re o Lu supposed to put so much and I understand the economic incentive to save on “materials” but THE GUY COUNTED THE LETTUCE SHREDS.

Anyway, I quit going there when I learned that certain people at the top knew about a certain Jared’s disgusting leisure activities and tried to keep it quiet for the sake of their bottom line.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
when subway chose to sell their food as a way to lose weight, I knew that they weren't going for 'tasty and amazing'. People tell you who they are.

Their current ad campaign uses athletes who signed with Subway under the agreement that they would NOT have to eat the food nor actually hold it. So, again, people tell you who they are.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You'd be surpised, there aren't many good sandwich shops around here. The best burger place here is Red Robin and that's not saying much, I heard 5 Guys is going out of business, which is no loss, IMO. The Jersey Mike's isn't bad, but it's not that close. Melt is beyond greasy, and Panera's not so good, either.
Bummer. I guess I'll scratch Lorain off my bucket list. Jersey Mikes are decent, but seems more of a sub than a hoagie and I'm from hoagie territiory. And Five Guys - the burger is the side dish. I go for the fries.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
So, I just had a Subway Steak & Cheese sub for lunch. I had heard that they recently changed the seasoning on the meat so I had to try it. It's horrible, IMO. It's way saltier and spicier than it used to be, I don't like it at all. Check out the picture on their web site:

View attachment 978385

There's 1/3 as much meat as in the picture, and I couldn't even find the cheese, and I saw the guy put it on there. I asked for the nine-grain wheat, honey oat, or nine-grain multiseed roll, and they didn't have any of them, and this is at lunchtime. I had to take a TUMS after I ate it. It had been a year since I went there, and I guess it'll be another year or two before I go back.

Why would you go back? I only opened this post because I thought it was about underground trains.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
There's 1/3 as much meat as in the picture, and I couldn't even find the cheese, and I saw the guy put it on there.
That is nothing new. That is something that has bothered me for the past 25 years or more. As you say, the amount of meat never remotely resembles what they show on their TV commercials or printed ads (or even their in store menu photos).

But the same is also true for Arby’s among others. I have always been tempted to take the ad in with me and demand that they make my sandwich look just like what is shown.