Subtle Simple Chorus for Adding Color to Clean Country Sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tclotworthy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks....didn't know they had been reissued. I'd like to compare to my original....they're often different. (sometimes "better")

2. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

Sounds like the OP is kinda going for the same thing as me.

My basic - VERY basic - thing is:

Tele > Sparkle Drive > TS 808 > Boss Waza Chorus > Princeton Reverb.

As many have said, any of the Boss Chorus pedals are great. I have all of 'em - I just prefer the (more expensive) Waza Craft version, as it has more options, and as has been mentioned, it allows one to blend in some vibrato as well. And like all boss pedals, it is indestructible.

michiganguitar likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Subtle is the operative word.
    I have a Boss CE-5. Chorus Ensemble and is nice to use as a barely-there enhancement and has a useful control for setting level of effect for high and low frequencies.

Dennyf likes this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I'll meet you halfway in Waco. We can trade for a couple of weeks. ;)

I'm sure you could go to a local GC with yours and do a side-by-side. Be interested to hear the results.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

If you want subtle from a chorus make sure it has a mix/level knob. A 2 knob chorus won't cut it.

You might look at detune effects also, Digitech Luxe is still on sale for $50 at Alto music I believe. It just adds another tone a few cents up or down from your dry tone with no modulation. A airy shimmer, a few cents sharp and level low is probably exactly what you want.

They have demo on their page.
    https://digitech.com/en/products/luxe

Looks like it still in stock.
    https://www.altomusic.com/digitech-...MI3MPd283l2wIVAhFpCh0qHgxmEAQYASABEgJLQvD_BwE

Zoom MS70 CDR also has some very nice detune modules, but way more controls plus you can add EQ, comp, freq dividers, reverb to do some really nice subtle chorus type effects.

pedro58 likes this.
  6. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

I got a ce2 and Mooer ensemble king ( clone of ce2). I would not call the ce2 subtle at all and the effect can't be dialled back really. The Mooer has a mix knob so can be made as subtle as you like. It gets pretty close to ce2 but with more flexibility. Great bang for buck to

7. michiganguitar

michiganguitar TDPRI Member

Another vote for the CH-1. I set it very subtle just for a little extra shimmer, if you will. Of course, it can also get very Pretenders-ish if needed. I tried the Waza (which sounded great) but returned it cause it overtook my sound and I couldn’t dial it back. The CH-1 has a level control so makes it much easier to dial in what you want. Highly recommend it.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

+1 on the TC Corona, I also found a tone print for it called "Clean Chorus" that is very subtle, and it's what I use the most. One other bonus for country music, this pedal is unmistakably John Deere tractor green

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Go through any good chorus pedal that outputs in stereo and use 2 tube amps. I use a Boss CH1 - seems to have a more subtle approach than most.

Tone control on it could be better would be my only complaint - doesn't seem to do much IMO.

10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

So he needs to buy a second tube amp to enjoy a subtle chorus effect? That’s about as subtle on the wallet as a kick to the bread basket.

E5RSY likes this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Brent Mason had a subtle chorus sound on some of his most famous guitar tracks during the 80's and 90's... his weapon of choice was a Boss Dimension with none of the buttons engaged. Sadly... a pedal that was a hard sell when it was out is now rare and extremely expensive since people have learned that is the "chorus" sound many are looking for.

dimension.jpg

Ray Flacke from Ricky Skaggs also got a great subtle chorus sound. He used an old (80's model) TC Electronics chorus but I don't know the model, and I can't find much info on it.

12. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

If you have a TC Flashback delay you can add a very decent chorus as a Toneprint. I use it just like you say, adding a little vavavoom to the clean.

13. tclotworthy

tclotworthy TDPRI Member

Hi, and thanks for the useful information. I have listened to the demos and I am impressed with the Keeley 30ms. My concern is the need to have to have a stereo amp setup. Isn't that what is really required to get that nice double track effect?

14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about the Keeley specifically, but in my experience a second amp will make the effect "clearer" (for lack of a better term), but is not necessary. The only time you need a second amp is in cases like a delay where you want the repeats to "bounce" from left to right. For "thickening" effects (chorus, non-bouncy delay etc.), a second amp can be cool (and standing between them can make you seasick, if you're into that), but it's not necessary for the effect to work.

Edit: Oh, and using a second am may help keep things cleaner, too, since you don't effectively have two instruments playing through one amp.

codamedia likes this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

No, you don't need to worry about that. Sure - any stereo chorus can sound great with two amps but that is not required. The vast majority of players (of all levels) don't bother with that type of setup because stereo only works in an optimum listening position.

16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

For under $20 you can try the Danelectro FAB Chorus. I have one and it's quite nice. Mix, Speed, Depth...simple, cheap and sounds very good.

brbadg likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

TC is releasing a Dimension Chorus this summer. Purple. 4 buttons. True bypass.

codamedia likes this.
  18. E5RSY

:eek:

19. E5RSY

"Dimension TC"???

:D

20. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ll support what others have said about the mix/blend feature. I’ve got some killer vintage analog choruses that are rarely used because to my ear they are too much unless parallel mixed with a straight signal.

I’m thrilled with my recently acquired Ibanez analog mini delay, so their analog mini chorus with that blend feature just might be coming in next

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.