Subs: Club Owner Perspective

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by alnico357, Oct 19, 2019.

1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I played a very memorable gig last night. The owner had built a great stage. He had drums, lights, PA, mics, amp stands, guitar stands, all ready to go. He also ran sound and did an outstanding job. He uses an I-pad mixer and saves each band's setting so when they come back he has most of the job done.

He commented that some bands have core members, but will show up each time with a couple of different fill in guys. This makes his mixing harder, and he shared that it really didn't suit him all that much.

This is an interesting comment seeing that today it is so common for a core singer and guitar player or whatever to constantly use fill-in musicians who play in several different bands. Back in the day a musician was in a band and that was it. Now it is a merry-go-round sometimes. (We were immediately booked again so I guess we did OK.)

nojazzhere and Telecastoff1 like this.
  2. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

I call BS on the owner. A sound guy has to mix whatever mix he's given on any given night. It might make his job a little bit harder if the new guitar player is a little bit louder than the other guy. But come on!

I could see him having an issue with booking a band and there are more subs than regular members. But complaining about how hard it is to mix subs seems off base.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

He likes to hire a band and get the band he hired. That sounds reasonable to me.

4. Rockerfeller

THAT makes sense to me! The part about having a hard time doing the FOH mix with sub band members, doesn't make sense.

5. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

I like salami on mine

rangercaster and Rockerfeller like this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i like playing venues with subs because they do wonders for the kick drum on our drum machine.

Old Deaf Roadie and Tonemaster like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a sub.
    It’s my job.
    Club owners and sound men are almost unilaterally control freaks.
    They greatly desire to “play” the band, and control volume, effects and tonality.
    I strongly suspect they all really want to be on stage, instead of trying to control every last blankety-blank aspect of their environment.
    As a working player, I “go along and get along”.
    In the modern environment, I really have no choice.
    Somewhat ironically, I chose my work/lifestyle to avoid being contolled.
    There I go thinking again.h

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I feel the same way about Club Owners and the constant turnover of their Employees.

nojazzhere and dougstrum like this.
  9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I agree... But there can be another take... I am sub sometimes

Get to be friend with the venue owner if possible... and things can change...

I have just been offered be the "resident guitar" of the "resident band" in a club here where first time came as a sub... Now I will play with my band every thursday

Not a sub anymore, now I rule the gig :cool:

Art VanDelay likes this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

You mix whatever shows up. You don't get to make commentary on the lineup, or whether you like that the bass player isn't the same one as before. I mix acts that are completely unknown to me almost every time I belly up to the console, and don't say a word. Why? Because it just doesn't matter & I know my gear as any professional would. You can either mix, or you can't , owner or not. Sounds like the owner should concentrate on running his business instead of the audio.

nojazzhere and Rockerfeller like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Sure, but the point about mixing is still valid. Every night is going to have different conditions and require tweaking. Yeah, saving to a baseline might help him be closer sooner, but he'd still need to tweak.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  12. Rockerfeller

That's my point. As someone who mixes sound for a living, I call BS. But I do understand the point about hiring a band and thinking you're getting one group and then getting a singer with a completely different back up band. That would bother me. BUT, one sub? What does the guy prefer that you cancel the gig?

13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

All he has to do is turn down the suck knob.

[​IMG]

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  14. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Omg, it's as if you started entry-level and worked your way to where you wanted to be. I feel this path is poo poo'ed these days....

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this was about submarine and club sandwiches.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have watched band and artists set up in the same place and spend a ton of time tweaking their own stuff to get the sound. Same guys, same venue, same gear, every week. You'd think that if they wrote it down, it would be plug and play. That's not the case, so how could the guy mixing expect that his job will be easier when the band can't get it straight from week to week?

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

In the case I brought up, the owner, a very nice guy, was the opposite of a control freak. He told us the stage was ours and have at it. The mixing issue was a passing comment. It didn't rule the evening. The whole band was extremely pleased at the sound quality.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I could not agree more.

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that when someone hires a band they expect to get the band they thought they hired. Having said that, subs are fine for some positions that aren't key to that group.
    OTOH, I have friends whose musical inclines are to use mostly just subs/freelancers .... pretty much the whole band. I find it hard to know what it's going to be any given night. It's kind of a continual jam band concept.

Let's put it this way; You are having $10k of tile done in your kitchen and bathrooms. You hired a contractor whose work you love. Is it ok if that contractor just hires anyone from the tilesetters union to do it?

Let's face it, some people work very well together, some just barely fit together. If you take too much of the core out, it's like taking a well written sentence, removing all the adjectives and replace them with random similar adjectives. You can lose the whole feel of the sentence.

alnico357 likes this.
  20. Rockerfeller

Yes! As long as he shows up to the job AND everyone does top quality work. Now if the contractor takes the job, AND subs it out to others? AND he doesn't even show up at the job? THAT would be a problem.

alnico357 and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.