Sublime's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

such a great song, such an incredible voice

nathan5782 and bsman like this.
  2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One of my favorite bands...I call it skate rock...best served while intoxicated haha.

Sconnie, Boxla and Nubs like this.
  3. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Mine too. Still kicking my self for turning around while en route to their show in the fall of '95 in Columbus, OH. I will always regret it but at least I did see Eazy-E, Too $hort and NWA n the Straight outta Compton tour.

Skate rock is a good description. I've always considered them a reggae band. Not in the true roots rock sense but in an overall sense. I know many people described them as Ska, but I never really heard enough ska in them to classify them as a ska band. They had some punk but not a ton. I bet if you boil down all their minutes of live, released songs and demo songs, you'll end up with about 80% reggae and 20% all the rest.

The magic was Bradley, his voice, his guitar and the songs he played. The guy was a true musical genius and another one gone too soon.

hdvades likes this.
  4. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Love Sublime, even though it's on the edges of what I listen to most of the time. "What I Got" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

"I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot" makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it!

Boxla likes this.
  5. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

...."hits the bottle and goes right to the rock" LOL. The funny thing, is that his mom is an ultra conservative Christian. Then Brad goes and writes those lyrics. She has to absolutely hate them but I'm quite sure misses her son more than she hates those lyrics.

elihu, Sconnie and OmegaWoods like this.
  6. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

I had no idea about his mom. A sad and tragic tale. I'm sure she does miss him.

7. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

A fan here - it bothers the heck out of me that he died so freaking young.

8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

Never could get into this band. They're one of the ones that I've gotta immediately switch off when I hear one of their songs start on the radio. Music is funny like that. There are maybe ten bands that I just can't tolerate even two seconds of, and Sublime is one of them. And old friend forced me to listen to the guitar solo in Santeria once though, and the guy was a decent guitarist.

Sconnie likes this.
  9. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Tele-Meister

For me, 40oz. to Freedom is one of those great albums that I can listen to from start to finish without skipping any tracks, and one that I still listen to regularly. Great band that unfortunately wasn't around very long.

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

Awesome band, and one hell of an underrated guitar player in Bradley. We should all take a page from his book about getting good sounds out of a guitar, he used some weird and cheap stuff and always sounded great.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

It sure is! What matters is that it doesn't matter what other people like, and it seems you understand that well.

It's their biggest hit, probably rightfully so, but damnit if that isn't a really well-written solo!

12. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister

Great timing I was just checking out some of their videos on YouTube yesterday and then today for work I had to drive for about an hour and was listening to this and my other favorite Sublime songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.