Sublime - Santeria

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by HotRodSteve, Nov 11, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Had this going thru my brain all day today while riding the mower and picking up leaves before the snow tomorrow. It was a good day.

fendertx and gwjensen like this.
  2. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

OK, I'll say it. To me and my eyes and ears, Brad Nowell, who was the singer, guitarist and songwriter of Sublime, is right up there with Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Jerry Garcia etc.. He gets a fair amount of recognition but not the put on a pedestal admiration I think he truly deserves. First of all he may have had the best voice that our world has ever heard. If it's not the best, there are others there right there with him but no one is or was better than him. But beyond how sweet and good his voice is, just listen to that Santeria above and try to sing it as well as he does, what he could do with his voice is beyond most. The way I look at it is, Brad could have sang any U2 song they have and he would have sounded like an angel singing them. But I don't believe Bono, as excellent a singer he is, would have the ability to sing a Sublime tune like Bradley. He would not be able to switch from soulful singing to rapping to reggae dancehall back to singing and make it sound as natural as Brad did.

Next is his guitar playing and he could play the guitar as well as anyone in fact better than most. I have been playing Sublime songs since 1995 and there are a few passages of quick rhythm playing that to this day I can't do quite like Brad. Plus the guy could solo very well and his use and knowledge of chords was incredible. There are seemingly simply songs of theirs that sound like 3 chord songs yet when you learn them he actually about 10+ chords. It's obvious he had perfect pitch and all this music stuff came very naturally to him.

Last but not least, he wrote all of these songs. Take Santeria for instance. The people must like it because it gets played about 100 times a day for the last 23 years so who wouldn't have loved to write a song like that. And listen to the absolutely beautiful solo in that song. Listen to the little run he does half way through it. It's not Steve Vai but it's pratty darn good. Santeria is just one of about 50 incredible songs he wrote.

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the nonsense. Happy Tuesday out there!

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Santeria always goes over with audiences...

4. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Good one. Haven't heard it in a long time. Love the melody in the chorus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.