Subaru owners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CleanBoostCasey, Oct 29, 2018.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

'14 Crosstrek Hybrid with 42K and '15 Forester w/125K; keep 'em both maintained and checked on a regular basis: oil changes, timing belts, head gaskets, etc., etc. yada, yada, yada ... both CVTs (as was my last Ford Freeestyle wagon) w/ nary an issue ... ever ... Crosstrek has manual shift paddles for that racecar feel ... it's a Subaru, built to go through snow, which is why we own them ...

Just my $.02 ...

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Heh.. yah speaking of solid on the road... my Outback is the most rattle free car I've owned and maybe the most rattle free car I've ever driven.

I used to have an Acura.. it rattled over every bump. Had them tear it apart under warranty when it was brand new and they couldn't fix it. The rattles were in the HVAC or in the dash or something.

I proceeded to drive that Acura for 7 years. Every time I had a loaner car.. whether it was a TSX, TL, MDX, RDX, they all rattled. My brother had an RL and it rattled too.

If you WANT to rev the engine they should go right to the redline fine, even with the CVT. If you floor the CVT it should climb the RPMS up to the HP peak point pretty rapidly and then "hang" the revs right at that peak point.

But unlike a BRZ or a Honda S2000 most of these Subaru engines just are not tuned to hang around near max RPM and be a rewarding experience up there.

My Outback is slow. I don't think I've ever driven > 90 miles per hour in it. It feels like it could barely make it too 100mph. It really doesn't feel like it's happy at > 80mph. Up there you should be buying the 3.6L engine.

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

ahhh,... the internet. assuming facts not in evidence and hoping for the worst. Gotta love it.

SacDAve likes this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

2010 Outback here, auto/CVT, no sunroof. 140k miles currently. Replaced torque converter @ 135k miles. It is a "known issue" according to my local dealer. Only gripe I've ever had with it. Drives like new with the new TC. Cost $1800 to fix. It has the flappy-paddle manual shifters...which I rarely use. However, it has never failed to hit redline when I want to drive "sporty".

Otherwise, it has been a workhorse. Perfectly suited for our needs. On the freeway, commonly gets 30+mpg (I've seen 31.8). It seems to get better mileage the faster it goes. I drive I-20 a lot and trying to not get run over around Atlanta, it easily does 90mph+. Tows UHaul trailer very easily. Love the Subaru roof rack system...I hauled 15 sheets of plywood on top for hurricane Florence...easy peasy. I plan on trading it in when we retire...probably get a new one unless we have flying cars by then (2020).

I wouldn't sneer at a Honda...except they don't fit me at all.

I can't think of anything I dislike about the Outback. Drove a 2019 model when they replaced the TC on this one. Damn near traded the old one in right then. Very nice...and I really liked the new safety features (rear camera, blind-spot warnings, etc.).

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When the wife and I spent a week in the Tahoe area I was totally freaked out at the fact that nearly every car coming at us was...a Subaru. When you pull into a parking lot it's full of...Subaru's. They are of all years and models. They are pristine and they are trashed. Apparently the people that live in this area have the feeling that a Subaru is a great choice for adventuring, active folks who depend on their cars to get them anywhere, any time.

6. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Yup absolutely fantastic in the snow, and yes it will hold a ton of stuff, we will never buy another one but we are keeping the one we have even though it's old and kind of rusty and worn out and replacing the shiny Honda just because of the winter performance (and that I don't have to worry about someone putting dings in the door cos it's got lots already)

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You nailed it. My wife's Sienna has 292 or close horsepower so that makes the Outback's 4 cel complimentary.

My daughter learned how to drive with it and the EyeSight. One of her part-time jobs is ski instructor. Knowing nothing else, she thought most other cars got it terribly terribly wrong.

It has good service intervals but yes, they want the differential oil changed, even brake fluid etc....

I'm done with cars as entertainment. There's no practical, safe or legal way a car can thrill or entertain like my MTB riding and skiing. That makes it great. If I have Toyota loaner or some other rentals that are wagons, CarUV or vans I totally feel the low center of gravity.

These things seem to be the official vehicle of our ski and mountain bike clubs. I'm around lots of people who all seem to consider them reliable, pleasant and practical vehicles that are superb in bad driving conditions.

8. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

That's a bummer, all I have heard from others is that Subaru is a great car, overall. And they really do a number on you with their commercials showing you all the crunchy, happy owners who've been driving them for multi-generations.

We were even thinking of selling my wife's Mazda for a new Subaru. So you are definitively saying "don't do it"? To any of the line up?

ozcal likes this.
  9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Strange you'd say that. We received a notice the warranty on the wife's CVT (2018 Forester) has been extended to 10 years/100k miles.

10. imwjl

I’m sorry to read that. What a bummer that your experience hasn’t been good. I hope it works out better you from here on out.

11. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Ah, spoken like someone who's never driven anything displacing more than 4 liters.

12. william tele

WHAT? We just bought a Sorrento, mainly because of Subaru's sucky warranty. Now it's 10 years/100K?

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

They ain't popular in Alaska for nothing!

At a parking lot in Alaska...
    [​IMG]

william tele, Sconnie and skunqesh like this.
  14. imwjl

That could be the trailhead west of my house if you replaced the building with ski a jump.

15. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Just the CVT transmission

william tele likes this.
  16. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

1999 Outback here, 2.5L, manual, 200K+, had it since 29K.

Great wagon for hauling gear around.

rear main seal was done around 100K, but at this point it both consumes and leaks oil (mostly from the valve cover gaskets).
    I've switched to 10W-40 (I'm in CA, so it's a decent bandaid to slow the oil loss, I only see real cold weather about 10 times out of the year)

I've never experienced a limitation in revs.
    I know it 'feels' like it wants to shift anytime it gets north of 4K rpms - sounds like an angry hornet if you get past 4.5K rpm, plus that doesn't really get you anywhere faster in a Suby.

It's a putt-putt mobile, lotsa torque, gets me to the beach or the mountains, and back.
    (also have a G37S for zoomzoom - that's a whole different beast)

17. william tele

Oh, you did say that...I just missed it. Thanks!

Uncle Bob likes this.
  18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The way the OP is phrased I'm not surprised we're seeing more nay-sayers than yay-sayers. Post another thread in your other favorite guitar forum with a more optimistic outlook and you'll hear all the cases of people who are very happy! Pissed off people love the internet haha, no surprise there.

Now for my $0.02!

My '16 Impreza is a boss. Very well-put-together, passes all the tactile tests for interior quality (especially the dashboard and plastic tap tap tap that non-japanese cars always fail IME :lol:). Comfortable seats, decent stereo, limited number of buttons, simple climate controls, butt warmers, quality fabric, etc. It's a pleasant place to sit, visibility is superb all around. These things are important to me at least haha.

Mine is only at 35k miles, but it feels brand spanking new still. 5-speed manual is great fun, and the 2.0 is just fine for me, and it'll likely survive longer since it doesn't have a turbo. Keep up on regular maintenance.

And honestly, no one should be revving any piston engine to 4k+ consistently. Ever think about why they have all these extra doodads to control the timing and balance the vibration? The design is inherently unstable. It's like using cartesian coordinates to do orbital mechanics: ill-advised, unnatural and requires all these extra steps and work-arounds. My Impreza's power maxes out at about 3.5k rpm, I almost always shift before then. At 80mph in 5th gear I'm revving below this point.

Wanna rev to 6k+ consistently? Get a car with a wenkel, that's your only choice. Rant over :D

Having said that, I think it's common knowledge that if you really just want a "buy it and slack off on the maintenance and drive it into the ground without giving a sh*t most reliable car gets you home everytime" vehicle you should just go get yourself a Honda Civic and be done with it. The new hatchback version looks awesome too, except for the highest sporty trim level which is just too busy looking. If anyone works for Honda, hire me as your new head of marketing ;)

19. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I have 2015 Subaru Outback and LOVE IT

20. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

well i wouldn t buy another subaru as long as my a$$ points to the ground... our 2010 forester was an oil using POS and our 2014 outback is an oil using, rattling POS... lots of people have good luck with subarus.. quite a few unhappy owners out there tho on the subi forums.. roll the dice..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.