Subaru owners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CleanBoostCasey, Oct 29, 2018.

1. CleanBoostCasey

CleanBoostCasey TDPRI Member

Today I test drove an 08 Outback. 2.5 manual. The exterior and interior were near mint. 99k miles. Car drove nice and felt good. Check engine light was on. Dealer said it needed an oil change and maybe an oil pressure sensor. I drove it anyway just to see if I even liked Outbacks. Had new tires which made a lot of road noise. Stopped off and looked under the car, very bad oil leak so this specimen was a no.

My question is this though, the redline was 6500, but at 4000 the car would act like it was at redline and want me to shift. All through 1, 2, 3, and 4th. Is there something wrong with it or is there a reason Subaru does this? I would have passed on the car because of this even if it wasn't leaking oil.

C

2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

First off...with any manual transmission car, you don't shift at the redline. You need to understand "torque curve". Outbacks are the top of the standard model lineup. Starting with Impreza, Crosstrek, Legacy, Forester and Outback. I'm a long time Subaru owner. They are good cars for their intended purposes. They are also known to blow head gaskets historically. Supposedly that has been remedied. I currently have a'14 Impreza Premium 5 door hatchback. If a Subaru is what you desire I would look at quite a few to familiarize yourself with them and don't fall into the trap of an impulse buy. Especially that one you just rightfully so walked away from. Subaru's are not the type of car to be beatin' on, that's not their intended purpose.

nojazzhere and Paul in Colorado like this.
  3. CleanBoostCasey

I know you don't shift at red line. My point was that the car was acting like it was redlining at 4000 rpm through every gear and I wanted to know why it would be doing that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a 2004 with 249,000 miles. It is a 6 cyl, auto tranny.

My wife had a 2012, 4 cyl. We test drove the stick. Neither of us liked it. We got the auto. The auto was a CV tranny, which I grew to hate, but she was ok with it. We put almost 100,000 on it and traded it off.

I still love my 2004 Outback. However, I am not a fan of the modern Outbacks. They changed them from what they were, a station wagon, to a larger SVU. I am sure the market disagrees with me.

5. CleanBoostCasey

Well, I was looking at CRV's. The Outback was there and the price was nice. I had never driven a Subaru so took it for a drive. I'd never buy a car with a CVT. I know they put them in Subaru's and if it wasn't a stick I wouldn't have even bothered. The thing was nice but had problems. And if they "historically blow head gaskets" I'll just pass altogether.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The gear ratio is a bit different. You have to treat them a bit more gently in the city. In fact I pootle round often in third gear in mine. 2004 Forester X manual owner here. 220000 kms on the clock.

7. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

We have a '13 Impreza with the 2.0 and manual, and it behaves much the same. It's intentional. Their motors peak quickly and run out of breath well before redline. Good low-end torque, but not really cars that you wind out.

That said, the 2.5 had had a lot of problems with serious oil leaks. If there is any hint of a problem at all and the seller tries to pass it off as a bad sensor and so forth, walk away.

8. CleanBoostCasey

We have a '13 Impreza with the 2.0 and manual, and it behaves much the same. It's intentional. Their motors peak quickly and run out of breath well before redline. Good low-end torque, but not really cars that you wind out.

That said, the 2.5 had had a lot of problems with serious oil leaks. If there is any hint of a problem at all and the seller tries to pass it off as a bad sensor and so forth, walk away.

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. Think I'll just keep looking at Hondas.

9. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

2014 outback here... biggest POS ever... they did a new short block on ours since it was using a lot of oil... new motor is better, but not great... purchased new - new motor at 58 000 miles... just over 100 K now...

hopefully someone will steal it...

i will never buy another subaru...

william tele and Jakedog like this.
  10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the oil leak is most likely a head gasket...very common on subarus

skunqesh and omahaaudio like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

As a habit I've always shifted at low engine speeds anyway.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a '17 Impreza. They're not great cars but I'm retired and can't afford fancy German cars anymore. I would give a WRX consideration over a 3-series.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i think they are great cars...for their price you get a really great performance car...great in all weather...the worse the better

brbadg and rich815 like this.
  14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I don't own a Subaru myself, but we've had several in the family. My mom still drives a 2003 Forester, with the 2.5/auto trans, and it's been dead reliable and has no oil leaks...but it has had a few issues with the AC. Mom finally had a new compressor put in it last summer and it's been okay since then. She bought it new, and for some reason--thanks, mom!--it spent its first few months as my daily driver while she gradually said goodbye to her former car, a Cherokee.

My dad and stepmom, who live west of Denver at about 9000 feet above sea level, had a pair of late-90s Outbacks with the 2.5 and manual trans. Those were pretty good cars too. I think one of them needed a head gasket at one point, but it was nearing 200K at the time and the head wasn't cracked or warped as I recall. Although I don't remember if it was one head or both heads. I don't think they had oil leak problems either.

With mom's Forester, it seems the engine and auto trans are pretty well suited to one another, in that the trans shifts at appropriate rpm levels and the engine's torque curve seems appropriate to shoving that car around. Not a lot of in/out of overdrive or locking/unlocking of the torque converter when doing moderate speeds on winding two-lane roads. But you'd have to really lay into it to make it hold a gear to anywhere near the redline, in my experience. It wants to keep the rpm in a pretty moderate range.

With the two older Outbacks, I never felt like they were too rev-happy, and buzzing them to 5,000+ rpm seemed mostly like converting fuel into noise rather than forward motion. Add to this the sort of rough sound of a horizontally opposed four, compared to the smoother sound of an inline four, and it takes some getting used to. It sounded almost like the engine had a miss, or a burned exhaust valve/weak cylinder, due to the sort of throbby/choppy sound. On long, uphill high-altitude grades, where you sometimes have to wind 'er up in third or fourth and hold 'er there until you make the top of the hill, it's kind of weird...for awhile, but you get used to it. I think they are just optimized for midrange torque, not hi-rpm horsepower.

I have found the horizontally opposed four to be pretty smooth from a vibration standpoint, but you can miss that until you get used to the not-so-smooth sound of the engine and exhaust. Due to the engine layout, the exhaust ports are pretty far from each other and all merge in the catalytic converter, at least on the ones I've been under, and even though like any other four cylinder you have an exhaust pulse every 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation, the length and configuration of the exhaust plumbing doesn't give you the same smooth, relatively unbroken purr of exhaust sound like you'd get on an inline four with a compact little exhaust manifold.

Currently, a couple relatives have new-ish Foresters, and they like the SUV-like shape and the comfort of the front seats. Me, I miss the station-wagon shape of the older ones. But in summary...I'd drive a few more and see if you acclimate to them.

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

What years? Newer CRVs have CVT trans.

scelestus likes this.
  16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Subaru has the best awd out there.

I have my second Forester, a 2010. My first, 2004, is already my son's college ride. Parts are expensive, but worth it. It does need the usual maintenance work like any other car. They have both served us very well and kept my family safe through any weather.

It is standard for Subarus to change timing belt after hitting 100k miles. Just an fyi.

Georox likes this.
  17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I had a 1999 Outback Sport that ran great, no oil leaks or anything bad until it got smashed in the passenger-side rear and totalled, otherwise I'd still be driving it. Afterwards I bought a 2007 Impreza Wagon, it has the leaky head gasket problem, just had to replace the clutch and throwout bearing and now the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. The car only has 130,000 miles on it. My next car will probably be a cheap Kia Rio hatchback.

18. Whiskerz

Whiskerz TDPRI Member

There are plenty of cars which will prove you wrong on that - and an on topic example is the Subaru BRZ, shift at anything BUT redline and you aren't going anywhere fast.

19. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Had 2 Subarus, never again.
    Had 2 Hondas, would get another in a heartbeat.

20. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Because it was a junker, be happy you walked away, beauty is often skin-deep regarding used cars. Could be bad valves, worn piston rings, computer timing, injection problems, worn camshaft, jumped timing chain or belt, whatever.

I blew the tranny out of a Subaru AWD turbo wagon in only 5,000 miles...and I was driving easy. Under warranty but even so it's a PITA and a waste of time. Then the turbo started to click and rattle, dealer couldn't find the problem, all nice guys in service but useless. My wife had a Subaru sedan and after 4 years the trunk was rusting out.

Get a Honda - my wife and I have had 7 of them and they never seem to break. Would never buy another Subaru, Volvo or Mazda - big problems with each, very expensive as soon as the warranty was over. Designed to take your $$$ in service & repairs.

Boil and thegreatshocka like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.