Stupid Waitstaff Stories

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by beanluc, Oct 24, 2021.

1. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

As in WAITRONS.

(formerly titled "stupid server stories")

One of my first jobs was washing dishes when I was a skinny, underdeveloped 14 year old. One of the privileges of that job was getting to be the sucker who had to empty all the garbage cans in the kitchen into a 5 foot high dumpster out back at the end of the night.

Servers kept bus tubs full of ice out in the front of the house for things like butter pats, creamers and stuff. This one waitress would bring the tubs back at the end of the night, after putting the foodstuffs away properly, and empty the tubs into the trash barrels.

Every single time she did it, all the kitchen staff would shout at her to take it to the back sink and empty it there. "But that's twice as far away!" Waah waah waah. Kitchen staff laughed at her behind her back and straight to her face over this.

Well, I was having a hard time lifting the unnecessarily heavy trash up into the dumpster, so before long this became not just my problem but the cooks too, since I kept having to go ask them to help me. You can imagine how this stupid waitress caught it once the cooks got involved.

"Well if it's that heavy, why doesn't he just wait for it to melt!"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

This same stupid waitress missed her chance to order a staff meal one Sunday. They only got the hour between breakfast teardown and lunch setup to get a meal. Who knows what she was doing. The cooks told her "hell no" when she came in five minutes after the house opened for lunch asking for them to make her something.

Well, lunch was slow that day so a little later all of us were shooting it around the back sink since nothing was going on out front. All of a sudden we heard this shrieking coming from the kitchen. We come around the corner and this stupid waitress is breaking the rules by standing behind the line. She's freaking out staring at this pile of bubbling foam on the flat-top griddle. She had thought to help herself to some of what she thought was pancake batter, ladled it out of the container it was in, and poured it on the griddle.

It was roux.

You bet they made her clean it up. She had already broken the rule about being on the line, so why stop her now. She was at it long enough for the owner to find her there and tear her yet another new one.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

Most of mine involve me as the stupid server.

For example, the regional manager was visiting. He didn’t like me, and the feeling was mutual. I was an 18 year old kid who knew almost nothing about food or service. But I was waiting tables on the basis of having a good track record as a busser and dishwasher. The manager was spying on me, and some ladies in my section complained to another employee about their salads. The manager ran and found me and threw me to the wolves as he watched from a hi-top table that overlooked my section. Knowing nothing about food, I didn’t understand the nature of their complaint at first, and as a result, my handling of the complaint wasn’t as polished as it would have been by a more experienced server.

The manager later totally degraded me in the office.

The stupid part is that I took it and didn’t tell him to get f’d and that any manager worth their salt would have immediately stepped in and handled the problem themselves, so the real failure was his.

The only reason I didn’t walk off the job is because I had developed a thing for one of my coworkers and didn’t want to quit and not see her anymore.

Thats one bridge I wish I had burned.

4. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These things.

[​IMG]

Nothing should be that complicated to get going.

5. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

lol! First thing I thought.

6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Same here. There was the time I ran an automated HP SCSI disk firmware update and it killed two drives in a RAID5 array. Guess who spent the next three days restoring 2 TB from tape.

bgmacaw and Archtops like this.
  7. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I washed dishes at barnhills country buffet. Some waitresses would dump their drinks in my sink straws and all. Well the straws would always clog up my sink. After a couple of weeks having to take apart the pea trap atleast once a shift I started just spraying them with my wash hose when I caught them doing it. They stopped soon after that.

8. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thing of beauty once you get your templates set up :)

Archtops likes this.
  9. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I once asked a waitress what she recommended because I don’t eat meat. She suggested the chicken.

AA2E6E33-3BD9-47B4-8BC5-10E2BDC25E19.jpeg

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

At one company I was contracting at the director of IT didn't want to spend extra money for special/backup HVAC and a gaseous fire suppression system in the server room when several more racks were installed. "Costs too much", he said. "Don't complain, make it work with what we have.", he said. One weekend, not long afterwards, the regular AC quit and the servers caught fire causing a lot of damage to the building before the sprinkler system kicked in and the fire department arrived. Fortunately, we did have a backup tape offsite. Unfortunately, sort of, my software development contract was terminated early.

Oh, that kind of server.

My funny story is a band dressing all in black and then being mistaken for members of the wait staff.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I was thinking my first Novell

12. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Yeah, servers like a Dell PowerEdge that … oh, never mind.

Not servers but waitrons. At 13, my first job, aside from my paper route, was a busboy and occ. server (when the waitresses were busy) at the old Crystal Room restaurant in the Sir Walter Raleigh Hotel on the beach at VB. The waitresses were supposed to share the tips with us as we did bussing, set up, and serving, but he11 no. The other bus boys taught me to keep a load of change and small bills in my apron so I could skim the tips as I bussed the table. What a great summer!

As I recall, I was paid minimum wage - $1.15/hr.

Matt G, bromdenlong and beanluc like this.
  13. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

That IS funny.

14. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

The frog looks like a veggie, though

teletail likes this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I played a gig recently at an establishment I really like.
    They had been shut down for a good while due to the recent, uh, ordeal.
    Part of the pay is a burger.
    It’s a good one, named after the late owner/founder.
    No, the burgers didn’t kill him.
    I give my order to the new manager, not a waiter/bartender.
    I ordered the house burger, no lettuce.
    I hate lettuce.
    Perhaps it’s silly of me to hate a relatively harmless vegetable.
    I digress.
    Burger arrives, moments before I play.
    I do the first set, anxiously awaiting my usually great burger.
    I sit down, unwrap my house burger.
    It’s covered in lettuce, only.
    Nothin’ else.
    It’s (normally) a fairly loaded cheeseburger, with jalapeños and other goodies.
    Sigh.
    I did not make a federal case of it.
    The gig was great, otherwise.
    Next time I play there, I bet there’s a new manager.

smartsoul72, Matt G and beanluc like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I worked day and night for half a year in a project design team for a server for a very famous Silicon Valley company (yup, that one) and had it all ready for production and then it was abruptly cancelled.:oops:

Drew617 likes this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I did a corporate event at a country club, and the guest speaker was a famous politician (don't worry mods, the story doesn't have anything to do with his politics). My buddy Wes was waiting outside the back door having a smoke, waiting for the gig to end so he could come in and work with the strike crew. The politician left through that door to his waiting SUV, but stopped and shook Wes's hand and said, "dinner was terrific, thanks!" Wes thought it was funny the guy had mistaken him for a member of the kitchen crew, until I pointed out that he was standing by the kitchen door wearing a black shirt, checkered chef's pants and Crocs.

18. dukewellington

dukewellington Tele-Meister

One night while I was assistant GM I was closing with four or five other staff, including an assistant manager who was as reliable as eight waitresses put together. I never closed… B shift… eccch. But there we are sweeping and putting up chairs, etc in the dining room when we smell burned plastic — a lot of it. Wtf? We both rush back to the hot line to find out what they’d done. Probably half stoned and set the bottle of vinegar on the flattop grill again. But no. All the line cooks are silent and staring, and there’s huge clouds of noxious smoke fuming off the flattop. “Is that coke?” I yelled. One kid literally runs out the back door, running so fast I never saw him again. And the one who dared the other still standing to do a line off the hot grill, he says, “We didn’t know it would start a fire!” Luckily no customers in the house by that time, but they freebased the whole restaurant. They all got fired on the spot. The next day was a Friday, and I was down four B shift line cooks. I had a great day doing four jobs at once.

GeneB, Matt G, Archtops and 6 others like this.
  19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

This is an amazing story, but I feel bad for "liking" it since it must have really sucked at the time.

Matt G and TomBrokaw like this.
  20. dukewellington

dukewellington Tele-Meister

Appreciate that, but all in a days work for a restaurant.

At another place I lost all my waitresses one night, went out back because I thought they were smoking, only to find them playing blackjack on an overturned Brute trash can. They froze. “Are you kidding me? Alright deal me in and somebody give me a cigarette.” I was their manager, but I was also the new guy. They cracked up laughing. We all got along well at that place.

I imagine anyone who is in the industry for a while has dozens of stories like these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.