1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stupid Twin Reverb Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Strat82, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Strat82

Strat82 Tele-Meister

i don't mean to sound too stupid, but i was wondering if some of you could explain some twin reverb questions i have. I have noticed that there are silverfaces and blackfaces...what is the difference between the two? is one better than the other?

i play a 52 reissue tele and jam to rock music (costello, springsteen), so i'm not exactly which model would be best for me.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Tele-Meister

I am totally unqualified to answer any truly technical questions, but the BF were (mostly ?) made before CBS bought Fender while the SF were made thereafter. In general, SF are thought to be inferior because CBS monkeyed with the circuit and cabinet a bit and tried to cut costs by doing things a bit differently than Fender did when Leo was the boss (I know HE tried to cut costs, too...that's business and a whole other story). SF amps are not as collectible as the BF, but are really going up in price as well.

Anyway, if you get a SF TR that does not have the master volume, you'll spend a LOT less than if you buy a BF and you'll have a point-to-point classic that can be modded back to BF specs by most techs. Not to mention an amp that is (as we say in Massachusetts) wicked loud!

Again in general, the earlier the SF amp (ie closer to BF era), the more collectible/valuable/good it is generally deemed to be.

All of the above being said, if you want a TR just get one that you think sounds good.

YMMV, IMHO, etc...hope that helped.

3. Strat82

Strat82 Tele-Meister

thanks...

that explained alot!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.