Stupid question about a toilet

notmyusualuserid

Poster Extraordinaire
We'll be getting our bathroom redone in the spring once the joist work is finished.
I'm opting for the overhead cistern and chain on the right when sitting (letter h optional).
Aesthetically it will be more in keeping with the house.
What I'm looking forward to most about it, is that I'll get to sing this song on a daily basis in a reverberant tiled room.

You'll be fine, as long as the cistern's fixed securely :)

I'll stick with this.

push-button-toilet-flush.jpg

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
As you view it from standing in front of it. Majority on left side.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
There are houses in this area that have a waist-high window in the bathroom right by the toilet. Why? Nobody wants to look in and see you doing your business.
The house I lived in where I grew up in California was brand new when my dad bought it. The bathrooms had a window, but no fart fans. So if someone took a crunch there was no way to exhaust the air out, except hope that the wind was blowing the right direction. Usually it wasn't....

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
The house I lived in where I grew up in California was brand new when my dad bought it. The bathrooms had a window, but no fart fans. So if someone took a crunch there was no way to exhaust the air out, except hope that the wind was blowing the right direction. Usually it wasn't....
Ours had a skylight and no fan in my growing up house.
The skylight could be opened but I live in Scotland, so the wind driven rain came in.
The result was it remained shut.

My Guiness drinking faither was always first in every morning in the days where most houses had just the one throne room.

We didn't own a Canary either, so my siblings and I went to school with a perpetual facial expression that was a combination of perplexed and astonished.

We have all developed the same asymmetrical furrowed lines on our foreheads.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
The skylight could be opened but I live in Scotland, so the wind driven rain came in.

My Guiness drinking faither was always first in every morning in the days where most houses had just the one throne room.

We didn't own a Canary either, so my siblings and I went to school with a perpetual facial expression that was a combination of perplexed and astonished.

This is just my opinion, but I think that every bathroom, from the day that the fan was first invented, should have been built with an exhaust fan.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That's similar to what I'll be putting into my remodelled throne room.
I'll need to think of a way of connecting the chain to a steam train whistle as a domestic early warning system, that a brown fog is about to descend the stairs.
I believe there is an option for an ejector seat. Suggest painting the ejector pull red.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
That's not a lever, it's the pipe that feeds water to the tank. I know because it's the same system that was used in former communist countries until the fall of Communism (although they were more crude looking). Some places still have them.

Easier to fix than new Chinese toilets, but you have to get up there.

They were also used in the US in the first half of the 20th century, I don't know when they changed.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That's not a lever, it's the pipe that feeds water to the tank. I know because it's the same system that was used in former communist countries until the fall of Communism (although they were more crude looking). Some places still have them.

Easier to fix than new Chinese toilets, but you have to get up there.

They were also used in the US in the first half of the 20th century, I don't know when they changed.
They make a lot of sense, really. Early "power flush" design.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
As facing it from the front like a car.

There are also models that use a foot pedal instead, which always made far more sense to me instead of touching the handle. Not to be graphic, but how many people flush a toilet after they have washed their hands first? Not many, the foot pedal eliminates that.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
That's not a lever,
I don't know Man, I think the 'fluss chain' works just for dumping the water, then "the buoy" drops, and his lever opens to fill the tank. It stops when water (buoy) reaches a certain level.
You used to see them everywhere in 20th Century.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Left hand at home (seated), and right hand outside (standed). Unless they mixed up all.
Even an small window is very wellcome always.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
With the reading that guys do when "laying cable", I'm wondering why people don't just sit on it facing the tank, and use the top of the tank like a desk.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't know Man, I think the 'fluss chain' works just for dumping the water, then "the buoy" drops, and his lever opens to fill the tank. It stops when water (buoy) reaches a certain level.
You used to see them everywhere in 20th Century.
I think there was some implication that it has two chains outside the tank, which it doesn't.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter

I think that it's safe to say that anybody on this forum that's my age or close to it grew up in a one bathroom house with a tub (no shower) and no exhaust fan.