1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stupid Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 3fngrs, May 1, 2021.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Sorry, didn't clarify but I just mean warranty work in general. From finish to binding to bridge lift etc buying a new acoustic with a proper lifetime warranty is a good idea if you're the kind to keep it around forever. In terms of stability, all sorts of built in goodies are common now.

Does Gibson still use dovetail?

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

THIS^^^

I read almost 3 full pages before what I believe is the right answer came up.

Also, Martin may not even be using "real" mahogany for the necks, it may be Spanish cedar, too. The headstock may even have wings.

The tech likely did a perfect job on the neck reset. But if the neck wood or neck block or both is continuing to compress, then there's a bigger problem. The block being the biggest.

My Guitar Center Martin uses Martin's computer cut/matched "simple dovetail". The neck block is a laminated block. This is an outstanding system, and is much more stable, but is looked down upon by Martin Standard dovetail "snobs".

The Standard dovetail requires everything to go right. They are a symbol of exceptional craftsmanship and that part I understand. When it's right it's a beautiful thing.

I am capitalizing Standard to refer to the series of Martin guitars.

Peegoo likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Back in 2012 I bought a Gibson ES339 custom shop with a '59 neck. They warrantee their guitars for a year. Thirteen months later the neck turned into a water ski and developed a 1" longitudinal crack on the back of the neck straight down the middle, behind the nut. The guitar never took a hit and was properly cared for.

I about lost my mind when this happened because the guitar was out of warranty.

I called Gibson and described the issue. They asked for detailed pics, so I emailed them...and then they wanted to see the guitar to inspect it. I shipped it to them, and less than a week later they informed me the guitar was unrepairable, so they would be sending me a replacement under warranty. The guitar I received was nicer than the one I sent them (nicer grain in the maple top). No charge to me. I received the replacement 12 days after I shipped out the defective 339.

What had happened is the neck wood behind the nut was soft and had compressed under the truss rod adjusting nut washer, causing a bulge and the subsequent split to form in the wood.

Gibson gets bashed (some deserved, most not), and I firmly believe the mark of a great company is not necessarily 100% perfection in their products--but how they stand behind their products after the sale. Gibson treated me more than fairly (expired warranty) AND they did one better by sending me a nicer guitar. My own experience makes me a huge fan of the company. I have more than a few Gibsons including a J45 and they are all superb.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My D28 is perfect.
    My D15 is perfect.
    My 00015 is perfect.
    My 00016SGT is perfect.
    My DJR is perfect.

The D15 is 26 years old.

5. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

I bought my straight-braced Martin 000-28 in September 2008. It has never needed a neck reset, and I've never had any problems with it. But then, I don't expect my acoustic to play like my 339 (not saying the OP does either, but I have different expectations for different instruments).

I haven't read the entire thread; hope the OP gets the issues sorted out. I love my Martin, and I'd hate to live without it.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yes, either the OP has unrealistic expectations of a Martin playing like a solidbody, or some material or workmanship is faulty. Sounds more like faulty material. You may not can replace the neckblock, but you could install a plate of harder material like maple or rosewood on the tenon side, and also on the nameplate side, sandwiching the block, install wood pins, and that should reinforce the neck block enough to transfer the moment and shear properly into the top and back. I've not seen that done on a guitar, but that's what I'd do for a structural repair on a boat, building, farm tool, etc.

On the expectations, about 9 out of 10 times I pickup a guitar that "needs a neck set", I find it doesn't need a neck set. The more you change a flattop to play like a solidbody, the more it will sound like a solidbody. If you need more playability with the look and notional sound of a flattop, a hybrid might be a better choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.