1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stupid Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 3fngrs, May 1, 2021.

1. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

“I would not move this headache on. I'd destroy it before I'd sell it to someone else.”
    0E09EC37-3959-4CD1-8CF6-4C2216CD4694.jpeg
    796AC90C-ABDA-4F60-BFB1-BF9843DED928.jpeg
    a few suggestions, then.:p

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

I've had two guitars that are so stable, I can basically have the action 'as low as I want'.
    The Classic is one of them.
    Twice a year (furnace vs AC) I tweak the truss rod and go.

3. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

What is a 'neck reset'?

4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

The neck is steamed off the body, shaved down with a chisel and sandpaper, and reglued to the body. It is a remedy for poor neck angle which affects the action of the guitar.

5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Wow, that has got to be extremely disappointing and frustrating. When iconic brands like that fail, repeatedly, it really shatters your faith. I've only had two Martins, and aside from some "orange peel" in a couple of small spots on the one that I currently have, I've had no catastrophic issues. I was advised by the local Martin authorized repair centre not to fix the orange peel as it could affect the sound if the finish was stripped. I followed that advice.

Other people I know who have or had Martin's never had any issues either. It's places like this, or other forums, due to the high number of members, where we hear about more of these problems.

It's a good thing you're the original owner as you can get the warranty service. It's really quite astounding it wasn't repaired properly the first time. I wonder if someone from Martin reads these posts here?

Esquire Jones likes this.
  6. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Holy crap. Don't try this at home kids.

Sorry...I guess I could have googled it.
    I'm going to look for a video on that.
    Interesting.
    I'd love to just sit and watch our guitar tech do his stuff. Problem is...I wouldn't shut the hell up.

Greenmachine and northernguitar like this.
  7. Rosewoodtele

Rosewoodtele TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear that. An HD-28 or D-42 are among my dream acoustics.

I had a Gibson J-35 a few years ago and the bridge basically came off. Properly stored, hardly played... just pulled up. So I understand your frustration.

8. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Oof… might be time to switch to Collings, etc.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

3fngrs- I'm sorry to hear of your Martin miseries. These QA issues must be a current/recent issue. I know my avatar is from the "Golden Era" of Martin acoustics, but it has never required any kind of neck work other than a partial refret in the cowboy chords area after 60 odd years of play/wear. At age 82, the action is as good as my electrics, for the most part. Out of consideration of its age and the fact it does not have an adjustable truss rod, I only use 10-47 gauge strings. To my way of thinking, I'd rather sacrifice a little acoustic volume (and maybe tone) to ensure a continued lack of neck problems on the old guy. I hope you can get your issues sorted through.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's really disappointing. There's no way a fairly new guitar should need a neck reset.
    I guess the design hasn't changed in decades and build quality is more varied?

In contrast, Taylor's new neck joint ('new' is relative here, at least ten years old now?) was developed to make a more stable, repeatable joint, and to boot it's apparently a ten or twenty minute job to take off and reshim the neck. (They aren't ones to avoid trying new ideas.)

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

NO fun. Maybe this fix will get it. hope so.

I had some binding crack on my expensive larrivee and I contacted them to see if I could buy some or see if it was covered under the 'lifetime' warranty and just generally 'help, my great guitar is having trouble'

They were useless and dicks. Basically they said, the guitar is 25 years old, suck it.

buckocaster gave me a couple of tips and I fixed it, but, no more Larrivees for me.

In the last few weeks, I've been playing a ton (again after a dry spell) and I kind of want a Martin! well, maybe not!

12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

This is one of many reasons I'm saving up for a Collings (OM1 in my case). Lifetime warranty, unsurpassed quality, magnificent playability, American made, top-quality woods. Collings seems to be on the rise while the sun seems to be setting on Martin and Gibson of late. Not that the latter two don't still put out good instruments...they do...but not as consistently as they once did. It's a lot of lettuce for a Collings, but I think it will hold its value. And most of all...the SOUND! Wow!

SRHmusic likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Your stock just went 'way up at my house.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@getbent don’t fall victim to the anecdotal fallacy.

It’s funny how on forums 2-3 always pop out of the woodwork to rally around “widespread” QC problems when decades-long dealers can count on one hand actual warranty claims. Which the manufacturer then handled well when they occurred.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't know if I'd ever buy a 'new' guitar, so, if I buy a martin, it'll be used and probably need to go to a good shop for fixin.

But, you are right.

MilwMark and SparkleFart like this.
  16. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To be honest, I dislike the new Martins. Mine is a very lightly built 000 model from the early 90's and it is slowly going towards the neck reset, but still has some time, almost 30 years since it was born...

17. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

Sounds like it’s time for a J-45

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Isn't a neck reset usually caused by the top deflecting? (please correct me if I'm wrong). In that case, needing a second one done within 6 months could mean the neck wasn't attached correctly (which I think you'd be able to see from the outside), but could also mean a problem with the bracing. right?

19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

"Defect-free" just doesn't exist, especially with designs that have been pushed to their limits. Having wood in the equation makes it even worse. ("Limits" includes design, materials and management.) I tend to put the bulk of the blame on management for companies that have existed for ages.

"Martin Certified repair tech" means very little. Usually, this title is bestowed on some poor wank that works for a "Martin Dealer". Back in the 80s, I watched this happen...the repair guy was a graduate of a luthier school...but after I saw his work, I have to assume he was a C- student.

The factory doesn't want to see it. They're not set up to do service. You need to find a high-quality, well known and well documented repair person to assess your guitar and suggest repairs. Unfortunately, the good ones are always way behind in their work.

Needing a neck reset only 6mo after one has been performed probably means the root cause of the problem was not addressed (assuming they did the reset correctly). There are many possible problems that can be hiding inside...and often they cannot be found and fixed without major surgery. Even a good repair person may not be able to make such surgery invisible...

Good luck with yours. I would volunteer to fix it but after I was done, it would look like it had been relic'd by a disc harrow. :confused:

Laxy picker and SRHmusic like this.
  20. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Having gotten back into bluegrass/newgrass/Americana and buying an Eastman rosewood dread a year back, I've been spending more time on AGF these days. It seems this problem is arising more often than in the past to the point that Martin has changed their warranty coverage for neck resets. Should my playing/obsession progress to the point moving up the food chain, I think I'll go for a Dana Bourgeois guitar (bolt on neck).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.