1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

stuff rattling around inside my amp head

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by doghouseman, Jul 13, 2020.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

there appears to be stuff rattling around inside my Bogner Atma. THe amp seems to work fine, but I am a little concerned about what the stuff might be.

I tried to take it apart, but I started rounding one of the screws that held the front panel on, so I gave up.

Any ideas on how to take apart and what the noises/items could be?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Could be anything...but if it's a stray blob of solder or anything else metallic such as adrift hardware--that could cause a short and spell death for the amp.

Pop it open and have a look.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

One of my favorite finds was in a sealed, closed back speaker cabinet. I found 6 pencils in there, and when I mentioned this to the owner he said his kids figured out they could put a pencil through the speaker jack hole and it would disappear inside. So you never know!

Tim S and tubegeek like this.
  5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

You lock the door
    And throw away the key
    There's someone in my head but it's not me

Bob

ce24 likes this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

May I humbly suggest that if you’re having a hard time getting it open, then you should probably take it to a tech to have them remove whatever is in there? As Peegoo said, if it is conductive, there’s a chance that it will cause a short that has the potential to do anything in the range of making the amp sound worse to total failure.

One thing that does happen from time to time is that the screws that hold the circuit board to the chassis work loose. Looking at the Atma, I assume the chassis is oriented with the circuit board screwed to the top side of the chassis. If one of the screws worked its way out, it would be sliding back and forth on the shielding on the bottom of the head cab. What you don’t want is for that screw to get stuck between some tube pins when you move the amp. That’s how you smoke the thing.

Here’s the counterintuitive thing. If it *stops* making that sound, then you definitely don’t want to turn the amp on. That would mean that whatever had been rattling around in there has got itself stuck somewhere, possibly in a place that could cause the amp to fail.

hepular likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I once read that later U.S. made Peavey amps had all kinds of things like dry dog food put into them during assembly as a form of protest by the workers who were about to lose their jobs due to the move to China.

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

My Genz Benz Black Pearl 30's choke had gotten loose.

When I opened it up, I realised a previous owner had attempted to fix that with gaffer tape.....

I'm lucky I opened it straight away and fixed it. The choke frame is slightly bent from rattling around, but it didn't break or come off.

tubegeek likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Get yer amp head out of the gutter!

Think with your big amp head, not the little one!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.