Studio furniture

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Rather than hijack Ned's accomplishments further. I'll stick my own questions here:

I think the Argosy desks are so cool looking. They look like Star Trek consoles. (Hopefully they don't explode). They're of course about 10x what I'd want to spend on furniture.

I saw 24track's build and it got me thinking. I stuck my X-touch control surface between my keyboard and monitor. Jury is still out. Initially it makes it harder to read the scribble strip and makes the desk super deep, which I'm trying to avoid.

My studio is rather simple by some standards. I have three rack spaces of audio gear and three of midi gear. And not really looking to expand that significantly.

Im not much of a keyboard player. I have a Q49 I can put at the desk and a QX25 I intended to put over at the drum kit for access to transport controls and the occasional moment of inspiration. (Still haven't figured out mounting that yet)

I'm thinking of making it standing height with a bar stool to make the guitar/ computer interaction as friendly as possible. In the past 30 years I have repeatedly learned that desks are not guitar friendly. I think making it deep only exacerbates that problem.

Kind of thinking about doing 4u on either side of the desk. I like the vertical dual monitor setup. To do horizontal I'd need to find some old school lower aspect ratio monitors. (These days the line between a monitor and scribble strip seems to be only a matter of size.)

I might try control surface left and keyboard right, and try to keep the depth to 24" or less.

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_132344772.jpg
    IMG_20220617_132344772.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 36

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
The "drum department". Peavy PSM3 on the sloped ceiling above for snare/cymbals. Any mics poking out are an experiment to try triggering from close mic'd L80's. I can throw a TP120SD on the snare basket and switch out to L80's in a few minutes for practice/late night recording.

The double pedal is cause I'm slow as molasses and not a real drummer. I don't actually do anything that would require a double pedal. I just got so frustrated trying to program drums with a mouse that I was ready to hit things. I record toms and bass via MIDI and typically do snare/cymbals in isolation.

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_135732319.jpg
    IMG_20220617_135732319.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
So after a half hour or so... Surface front and center might work but not without some elevation to keep it all visible. Maybe recessed at the front? And it definitely adds to the depth.

My wife is currently (not) using an old Ikea standing desk. She claims she wants the bonus room cleared out so she can use it but honestly it's hotter than Huntsville up here and the creature never gets far from the couch. But ironically once I considered dropping the cool Star Trek built in angled racks I think it'd be perfect.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Back at this one and trying to avoid a project, but man... You can throw several hundred at it and still get Walmart grade get flat pack particle board crap. Good stuff is thousands...

I think I definitely need enough rack space on the desk to get my synth in front of me. Over in the rack in the corner beyond the pile of cables isn't working. I think at minimum I need:
1) interface(1u)
2) mixer (1u line mixer)
3)synth (2u)
4) power (1u)

I currently have the keyboard in front of the X-touch, but I'm thinking if I built a side by side 3u rack it's not too tall to be a keyboard stand and I just need about 2" dead space to get the X-touch and keyboard cables out of the way of the rack units.

With my monitor stand arm geometry and all that I think 28" is about my minimum depth. I gave up on a standing desk because of the gear/weight limits on cheap motorized units. I don't have the budget for something sturdy.

Basically I think my customizations can fit in a 41x12x8" box that fits on a desk at about 60"x28" that can be generic.

Anyone hate their keyboard drawer? Or having to reach? I'm thinking on top is better. Thoughts? Theres a sale on something close at MF right now I'm thinking about but not crazy about the 4th unit height or the curved shelf. Midi keyboard might be too far.

H74606000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
When in doubt, bust out the tools and get some good lumber. Lol.

I've done a fair amount of building studio furniture to suit my needs over the last several years. It doesn't always come out 100% the way I envisioned it, but usually pretty close. Lol.

These build threads are in chronological order. The X-Touch build might be of the most interest to you, but they all have a few pieces that you may find a way to incorporate into your set up.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/reclaimed-lumber-black-iron-pipe-desk-and-coffee-table-build.645501/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/mixing-control-surface-stand-enclosure-idea.968554/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-studio-desk-build.1077449/

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Have you considered a very ergonomic and comfy chair for your work environment?

Sometimes we're so busy making gear plans that we overlook the most important aspect of your creative work area!

May I suggest looking into a nice Herman Miller chair?

Yes, they can be on the pricey side but not all hope is lost! You can buy a great condition one that gets reclaimed from government offices, DMV, large corporations, etc.

They go for real cheap when they have to warehouse them by the hundreds.
I know live audio engineers and video peeps that travel with them!

Hope this helps.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Nice! I like you did with the X-touch but I can't get the extender - I use a split keyboard on either side of it and it's perfect.

studio-desk-kbd-jpg.1021187

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Actually my idea about standing desk was not traditional ergonomics, but more about making the blasted PC/desk thing more guitar friendly.

Keys you can sit there, but guitars and desk/mice do not get along

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Have you considered a very ergonomic and comfy chair for your work environment?

Sometimes we're so busy making gear plans that we overlook the most important aspect of your creative work area!

May I suggest looking into a nice Herman Miller chair?

Yes, they can be on the pricey side but not all hope is lost! You can buy a great condition one that gets reclaimed from government offices, DMV, large corporations, etc.

They go for real cheap when they have to warehouse them by the hundreds.
I know live audio engineers and video peeps that travel with them!

Hope this helps.
Super important.

I scored a like new Aeron at an estate sale this summer for $40.

Also, in the completely ludicrous category, a guy sold me one of these for $5.

0-1718-3.jpeg

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Anyone hate their keyboard drawer? Or having to reach? I'm thinking on top is better. Thoughts? Theres a sale on something close at MF right now I'm thinking about but not crazy about the 4th unit height or the curved shelf. Midi keyboard might be too far.

I have a sliding keyboard drawer installed on my Omnirax desk (you can see it in the first photo, with the old, soon to be removed, temporary desk at left), but I never use it, and have frequently thought about removing it. I much prefer having the keyboard on top of the desk, since I’m using it almost all the time.

i-xmqtsCw-X2.jpg

i-SkbMtsv-X2.jpg

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I have a sliding keyboard drawer installed on my Omnirax desk (you can see it in the first photo, with the old, soon to be removed, temporary desk at left), but I never use it, and have frequently thought about removing it. I much prefer having the keyboard on top of the desk, since I’m using it almost all the time.

i-xmqtsCw-X2.jpg

i-SkbMtsv-X2.jpg

I've always had the computer keyboard on top, the slider drawers are too low for me.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I'm not a fan of slider computer keyboards. The only way a MIDI keyboard on a tray is going to better is that you use it less often.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll offer my own perspective, which is a significantly different use case than some. It is as follows:

Unless you have a purpose-built studio space, or at very least a significant space in your home that you are altering specifically for studio use, then I'd avoid studio furniture like the plague.
My wife is currently (not) using an old Ikea standing desk. She claims she wants the bonus room cleared out so she can use it

This is sort of an example of why.

For me, I want the perfectly engineered, elegant solution but every time I think I've created a perfect creative space, my needs change. My space is small enough that if I acquire more things, then I'll have to move stuff around again. I've added and subtracted more rack spaces that I'll admit. Plus, I just went back to school (again, a little) and since I don't have a separate DAW computer, I'm going to need to do that work on the same desk, which relegates my MIDI controller, monitors, and preamps to... well, I haven't figured that out yet.

You see my point.

All that said, It's come to my attention that the number of times we live is generally assumed to be exactly one, and you should do what makes you happy - which if I recall, may be exactly what I said when you were musing about starting that horn rock band that you appear to be making a reality, and which I really want to hear.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
The main driver here is that I want to get my JV-1080, mixer, interface and power on the desk. Currently that stuff all lives in a rack, which is currently a get up, climb over the mound of cables and gear and go back to the desk operation. I think I need at least 4U on the desk, and I don't really want it higher than 3U because of the height of the MIDI keyboard above the CS/computer keyboard.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I did some mockups last night - 4U definitely puts the keyboard (and thus monitors) too high. I think maybe a 3U/3U/3U rack setup that holds my keyboard is what I want. Leave the center bottom slot empty to pass cables for x-touch and computer keyboard/mouse and I think it's a manageable size - it'll work with any desk that's at least 60 x 24 - though 28 will be a better depth.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I dont have an issue with my guitars and my desk. i face basically 90 degrees left (right handed) and work my daw with my right hand. press record and play. the only issue i have is picking my pick up and down and flipping it over several times to feel which way it feels best every time i pick it back up. 😁

I call my studio " Salvage Yard Studios" cuz practically everything i use i got used or salvaged. my computer is probably 10 years old that was my sons growing up til he built his own. my desk was my daughters. works real good. i think my level of need and money must be a lot less than everyone elses.

my scarlett 2i2 i bought new. also sm57 too. beta 58. which i mostly use for live vocals. pg81 was used and a bday gift from my drummer.

bigger point being i find the 90 degree approach at my desk completely comfy. it helps that the office chair i have has no arms attached.

Attachments

• 3B715455-51A7-44F4-BB2E-F87D34EBF930.jpeg
    3B715455-51A7-44F4-BB2E-F87D34EBF930.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3D2D78DF-15F1-48E5-8A48-A3C218217D11.jpeg
    3D2D78DF-15F1-48E5-8A48-A3C218217D11.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DEB00471-E933-4522-8E95-BFCED9377902.jpeg
    DEB00471-E933-4522-8E95-BFCED9377902.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 18

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Build vs buy just went out the window. My wife has griped about this giant desk for years. I mentioned it to my neighbor an was available to help. So away it went. Without a replacement. I'm currently on the floor, so this has to happen NOW.

So I ordered the RAB LS840. It's about perfect, just a bit more than I wanted to spend. It seems however about the cheapest thing you can buy that isn't utter rickety crap. I just don't have time or space for a build right now. (Not to mention the same cheerleader will be tossing jabs at me until it gets done). But everyone keeps revising their shipping. It'll be here Tuesday, no Wednesday, no, next Wednesday.

With the smaller desk, I decided to grab a 12 gator rack/table for the printer. So now I have a place off the desk for the printer, and it puts the scanner about at desk height too. They said ships in 1-2 days then they said next week. But I can't cancel it because an item not in stock is preparing to ship. Hopefully this just means it was drop shipped and that's a padded date. I'm wallowing in cables and computer/audio gear right now and too old to be sitting on the floor.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Got the RAB LS840. I like it but the desk is just too small and keyboard trays are every bit as useless as I thought. The output desk is too deep, way too pricey and I don't like the inset racks. But the 3x3u rack design seems about perfect for desk space.

This is enough rack space for me I think. I have a couple pieces not in this rack but they don't need to be. And I needed a place for my printer so I have an On-stage WS7500 side rack coming for the printer with 12u that puts the printer about the right height and will provide a home for the mic drawer and FBQ's (room/speaker flattening).
And of course I ended up with a few cables not long enough for the new setup.

Maybe I should stick the PC in a 3u enclosure to get rid of an extra box/floor space.

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_002706074.jpg
    IMG_20221020_002706074.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 11