1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stuck in Japan, cant breath without guitar to play, help me!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Feb 4, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Every time I travel to Asia lately it becomes a hostage situation. I was supposed to be here from Jan 17 until Feb 7th.... Now it looks like I am stuck in Japan for quite awhile, possibly months. I need a guitar. I am an hour flight from Tokyo. There doesn't appear to be any music stores in Shirahama. I found this in Tokyo.
    E0B80AA9-A8E4-4B3A-BCDB-EBF0EA49153D.png

Its a stock 2004-2006 ST62-US TDR MIJ, Basswood body, Light wear, 7.8 lbs, with case for ¥59800 ($548.43). How is this for price? It might be too high but I am jonesing to play over here! I been needing a guitar with a trem for awhile and, well, I simply cant go weeks without playing!! I will have it shipped to the hotel. I'm dying without a guitar! Chrissy will be joining me here in a week but can't bring one of my guitars. Thoughts? I know nothing about various strat models post 1982 or so. What would you do in this sitchiation? Speak comforts!

Shuster, nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great guitars,they have Fender USA 57/62 pickups that are fantastic.
    The price (in Yen) is fine.

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

Fender Japan makes all kinds of interesting models we can't get easily state side. Take advantage and find something unique.

Are you stuck because of work or does it have something to do with the coronavirus?

4. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

You're going to need an amp too... and some pedals...

5. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A fellow Panther City poster! I hope you’re able to get back to Funky Town soon!

nojazzhere and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When this happened to me I went to Ochanomizu which has a strip of music shops. I ended up buying a second hand Strat style for 6000 yen. I still play it today.

If I were there now though I would be looking to pick up a nice MIJ genuine Fender or Gibson knockoff (Tokai, Greco) or something off the wall by Fernandez, etc. Go shopping.

7. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Type Buyee.jp in your search engine; auction site in Japan. MIM not usually a good value over there. As bikersluggo mentioned, Fender Japan has some great offerings and they are a fantastic value over there.

4pickupguy likes this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Make lemonade

MIJ Fender stuff is legit.
    Hunt around til you find it.
    Return home with souvenirs.

DrPepper and 4pickupguy like this.
  9. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There are a nigh-endless array of options for you if you're willing to have things shipped to your hotel. If there are department stores near you, check a few out. They may have a music section. One I wandered into basically had a small Guitar Center with all sorts of gear, from low to super high end. I was absolutely blown away by it.

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I used to travel a lot for work and felt I couldn't spend days in a hotel room without a guitar. The solution for me was a little Martin LX1. I have dragged that thing across the planet as my travel companion for years.
    While that little piece of information is of no use to you, you are in Japan and they do make some interesting guitars in Japan, so it sounds like a great opportunity for some GAS shopping.
    Good luck and let us know what you get.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Because of work, but I am staying in a resort hotel on the water that is full of Chinese folks afraid to go home...

I like where you're headed with this, new amp and pedal board cuz, ya know, ...virus....

I looked at Tokai ST-50s I had one in the 80's and it was really nice. They are high as a cats back for MIJ, there are Chinese ones that I dont trust.I buy stuff every trip because there are cool unique things in every country. Bought an Andrew White Freja acoustic in Korea a couple of years back, just killer.

Bikersluggo and Steve 78 like this.
  12. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I took a trip to Japan and all I got was this lousy guitar?

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

For the last 20+ years my 'Number 1' guitar has been a ST-54 MIJ Strat from 1993.

It's just had a refret and it's still as good as ever. The guitar you link looks like a very good deal - I'd more than wager you'd not be disappointed.

*edit* heck, if I could, I'd have bought it myself! :D

4pickupguy and Vibrolux59 like this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I lived in Japan 2.5 years. The train system is the way to go imo. That said, you are ~3.5hr train ride from Osaka. There were several music/guitar stores on my quick search...why not give that a try? Make a day of it.

4pickupguy and Electric Warrior like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Depending on your flight situation, some want you to buy a second return seat ticket for a guitar or upcharge for the checked baggage. If you find local deals on offsets, those will fetch more of a premium when you get home than typical Strats. You might buy and ship directly to a family member or friend while you are there if you find any deals. Otherwise, I'd be more inclined to buy something inexpensive like a $50 kind of guitar you gift to someone before you leave and have no travel hassle.

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That's a great guitar at a good price. If I were in your shoes I'd try to grab every MIJ Fender I could find while I was there.

'54 and '57 Strat reissues do it for me. I don't have a '62 at the moment.

4pickupguy and Vibrolux59 like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

There's a surprising number of us here in Foat Wuth and the Metroplex in general. 4pickupguy has contributed a lot of great posts, and even some terrific audio clips.
    And, to 4pickupguy.....you only have yourself to blame for this dilemma. You should have packed a Martin Backpacker or something to take with you. Either that, or require your company to only send you to places that have well stocked music stores. Get your priorities straight, man!!!!! ;)

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I would jump on a MIJ Tele like a dog on a bone.

skitched and Teleguy61 like this.
  19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Last year I visited guitar shops in Ochanomizu and Shibuya areas of Tokyo. Also went to a smaller one on a side trip to Hiroshima. "Deals" were not to be found on typical guitars which you could also buy here, but I'm sure there are some oddball or used guitars which might present a good opportunity.

4pickupguy and nojazzhere like this.
  20. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Japan! Lucky man. I love Japan.
    I second Fender Japan and throw in those amazing '80's Squiers made there.
    Tokai! Find yourself a cheap Breezysound.
    And how about Guyatone?
    There is lots of great stuff in Japan.
    (As well as the best food in the world...))

Goldenshellback and 4pickupguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.