Strymon Ojai Power Supply=Junk

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Purchased for fun at home, never gigged, to power a pedal board for lap and pedal steel. The power cord won't stay in the black power supply box receptacle so the unit cuts out. If you you ram it home with all you have it might stay on but intermittent is basically the key word here. I had the blue Ojai unit fastened down as well as the black power box velcored beneath the board, so there was no strain or anything on the cabling and cords. Also, the little barrel connector that goes from the black box to the Ojai unit looks as though it is a failure waiting to happen, and having read some other reviews it does appear to be a common point of failure on the Ojai/Zuma.

"Made in USA". Except the black power supply section is pure china. If you are considering a power supply, look elsewhere. Just my experience. Good thing no money was riding on it working a gig. Pitiful.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been quite happy with this "SanJune" power supply I got back in December. It has considerably less noise than the 1-Spot system I was using previously. I also like having the variable power options.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been using a Talentcell (scamazon) rechargeable lipo battery pack for about five years now with no issues.

A huge plus is there's no connection to an AC supply, so noise filtering (that often does not filter out all noise) is not even remotely a problem. It runs my pedals for about 40 hours between charges, and there's an LED 'fuel gauge' to show when it's time to top it up. The pack is the same footprint as a Boss pedal, and about 2/3 as tall.

IronSchef

Tele-Afflicted
I've been quite happy with this "SanJune" power supply I got back in December. It has considerably less noise than the 1-Spot system I was using previously. I also like having the variable power options.

Im using the same device (ALSO replaced two one-spot chains I was using) and its fantastic. hard to find one w/ 15 outputs, several are of which switchable voltage outputs, at anywhere near this price point!

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I've been using a Talentcell (scamazon) rechargeable lipo battery pack for about five years now with no issues.

A huge plus is there's no connection to an AC supply, so noise filtering (that often does not filter out all noise) is not even remotely a problem. It runs my pedals for about 40 hours between charges, and there's an LED 'fuel gauge' to show when it's time to top it up. The pack is the same footprint as a Boss pedal, and about 2/3 as tall.
Interesting. How many, or what pedals, are you powering with it? I have a Strymon Orbit, Meris Mercury 7, Rockett Alien Echo, and Rockett Blue Note. I know the Blue Note doesn't draw much juice but not sure about the other pedals.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I have a little MXR power thing that does the same thing, the barrel connector not fitting tightly. I put a strip of gaffer tape on it and it works fine. I don't know if that would help yours, but I'm plenty accustomed to even nice gear requiring gaffer tape remedies to work reliably.

Edit to add: Free band name: Von Bonfire and the Gaffer Tape Remedies

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
send it back, bud, send it back. I've had one on my main board for 2-3 years without a lick of trouble. Powers fussy pedals with sketchy gig power. sounds like something's wrong with yours.
I detailed what was wrong with it my opening post. I could send it back but then it's still junk waiting to fail again and right now I just don't feel like fooling with phone calls, emails, shipping. It's just a toy not a tool so I don't need anything other than to maybe warn a few members that it's not a good purchase. You had good luck with yours. All I can say is I hope you keep having good luck. Not impressed with the quality of such an expensive unit and reknowned brand.

I have a little MXR power thing that does the same thing, the barrel connector not fitting tightly. I put a strip of gaffer tape on it and it works fine. I don't know if that would help yours, but I'm plenty accustomed to even nice gear requiring gaffer tape remedies to work reliably.

Edit to add: Free band name: Von Bonfire and the Gaffer Tape Remedies
Thanks for the pro-tip. I will give that a shot next time I break it out. It might keep the plug tight to the receptacle on the black box enough for home use. Hasn't been priority since I'm actually getting some steady gigs now and steel is just for fun. The only pedal I really NEED out of all the ones I have is the Meris Mercury 7 for reverb and a Fender volume pedal which doesn't need any power source so I could just use a single wall wart if I had something serious going on.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I detailed what was wrong with it my opening post. I could send it back but then it's still junk waiting to fail again and right now I just don't feel like fooling with phone calls, emails, shipping. It's just a toy not a tool so I don't need anything other than to maybe warn a few members that it's not a good purchase. You had good luck with yours. All I can say is I hope you keep having good luck. Not impressed with the quality of such an expensive unit and reknowned brand.

Thanks for the pro-tip. I will give that a shot next time I break it out. It might keep the plug tight to the receptacle on the black box enough for home use. Hasn't been priority since I'm actually getting some steady gigs now and steel is just for fun. The only pedal I really NEED out of all the ones I have is the Meris Mercury 7 for reverb and a Fender volume pedal which doesn't need any power source so I could just use a single wall wart if I had something serious going on.
I'm envious you can play the pedal steel. I've always loved the sound of pedal steel and never was able to recruit anyone to play it with me. But I already play fiddle and guitar, and I don't think I could devote the time to learn steel without hurting my fiddling.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I'm envious you can play the pedal steel. I've always loved the sound of pedal steel and never was able to recruit anyone to play it with me. But I already play fiddle and guitar, and I don't think I could devote the time to learn steel without hurting my fiddling.
I can play the guitar. I can pretend the lap steel. I was getting started on pedal steel until I realized that a 3x1 steel that I afforded in my price range was basically limited by the lack of knee levers. 3 pedals is standard but 4 knee levers is basically the norm for a basic steel. and I had only 1 knee lever. I could play a basic bud's bounce but that was about it without frustrating levels of bar slants that wasn't really gonna work. So I sold it to someone else who didn't know, lol. Someday when I have money instead of land and animals I'll have a nice harley davidson, a nice double neck steel, and a lever harp by lyon and healey. Sounds good anyways....

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Interesting. How many, or what pedals, are you powering with it? I have a Strymon Orbit, Meris Mercury 7, Rockett Alien Echo, and Rockett Blue Note. I know the Blue Note doesn't draw much juice but not sure about the other pedals.

I've run up to five pedals with no issues. This thing: Click HERE

It handles one amp (1,000 mA) of draw at the 9vDC power tap (the yellow one). Look at the labels on your pedals and add up the total mA they pull.

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
I use the Zuma and never had a problem. Actually never had any problems with Strymon stuff in general. Have you tried another IEC cable into the power supply?

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
I haven't seen a lot of people talk about it, but I've been extremely happy with my Ernie Ball Volt, you get isolated power and small form factor for $99. Can't beat it imo.