Strymon Lex, Still Good or Better Choice Out There?

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
Thinking of replacing my Strymon Ola on my board with perhaps the Lex.

I'm just more into vintage modulation sounds (Tremolo, Rotary) than I am on modern Chorus's.

Is this still a good pedal after 10 years or are there better options?

Thanks

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I haven't tried the Lex, but I'm interested to know. Here's a feature on different rotary speaker pedals: https://delicious-audio.com/best-rotary-pedals-leslie-emulations/

People seem to really like Neo Instruments Ventilator. The only Leslie emulations I've used are one built into the Line 6 M-series, which wasn't that good, and some software plug-ins for recording, which can be pretty convincing.

brbadg

Tele-Afflicted
I still have it on my list. I think its much better than the mini vent.
You also get a really good slow leslie, which seems to be the benchmark
on these pedals.Alot of them can't realistically manage the slow speed. My 2 cents.

Mindthebull

Tele-Meister
I have had a lex for about 6 months just messing with it. I esp like the fast/slow and brake switching and going from fast to slow. Sounds great with a stereo amp set up to get the actual swirling vibe going. Tweaking the mic placement feature is subtle but i find it makes a difference when going from a single amp to a stereo set up. I was kind of going after the sound Stephen stills gets on some of the early CSNY - ie the electric solo in the background of Suite Judy Blue Eyes for example. For a slow effect I guess the question is whether it’s simpler/cheaper just to use a phaser pedal but you can’t do the speed adjustment on the fly.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
the sound Stephen stills gets on some of the early CSNY - ie the electric solo in the background of Suite Judy Blue Eyes for example.
Always liked that sound too. I also would like to get the sound of the rhythm guitar on the That 70's Show theme (not the first season version) but I suspect that's a real Leslie, it's similar to the Abbey Road effect. I was listening to a "20 best rotary simulator pedals" or something on YT and didn't hear anything that sounded like that. If a Strymon nailed it I'd trade my Flint for one.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I Still like my LEX, and let's remember that you can plug an expression pedal into it too. People tend to love the Vent, but I suspect part of that is pride of ownership. Haven't heard one, I'll give them credit, probably sounds good too but is expensive.

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
Thinking of replacing my Strymon Ola on my board with perhaps the Lex.

I'm just more into vintage modulation sounds (Tremolo, Rotary) than I am on modern Chorus's.

Is this still a good pedal after 10 years or are there better options?

Thanks
I had the Lex but didn't keep it. I couldn't tell you what I didn't like about it but most likely it was user error. I currently have the Leslie G pedal which I like better. I also have a Strymon Mobius and that has a pretty good Leslie sound (probably based on the Lex) but with the added bonus of other modulation sounds like Univibe, various Tremelos, various Phasers, etc.. I think you would probably get more use out of something like the Mobius since it would have the same stuff in the Ola and the Lex on top of other effects.